Register now to get rid of these ads!

vw van steering boxes tbuckets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moontripper, Nov 29, 2004.

1. moontripper

moontripper
    from Munster,IN

Do any of you t-bucket guys know if a vw van steering box has been used on a t-bucket?If so what years would they be?Friend told me about the vw box because they are easy to find and resonably priced(50.00 used).Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Bart

2. jimbob

jimbob

Yep, I've got one in my bucket, It's an early VW van one. Thet are pretty hard to get over here in Oz cause they've all been used in rods. Good for side steer. I just welded some captive nuts into the chassis rail and it bolts up to the underside of the rail, simple. And the angle of the column is adjustable with one bolt, so you can lay it back or stand it up.

Cheers and beers
    Jimbob

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The ones to use are out of the split window vans.

4. japchris

japchris
    from England

Not sure of the exact years (someone help me out here), but with the earlier ones the steering column was solidly fixed to the box, so often used in the upright (verticle column, unsupported) position popular in T-Buckets. These I believe are from the early 60's-ish. The later ones (Late 60's/70's?) had a rag joint between the column and the box so need the column supported. I have one of these later ones in my 27. The turning circle is pretty poor.
    If you use a right hand drive one on the left of your T-Bucket the pitman arm points down and you can mount the box on top of the frame.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    The turning circle is pretty poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can fix that by making your pitman arm longer at the expense of increased steering effort, but in a T-bucket - WHAT steering effort? [​IMG]

[​IMG]