Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Rod & Custom young guns question & MAD FAB comment....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LiL' NiCk, Nov 27, 2004.

1. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

The newest Rod & Kustom (blue FORD on cover) did not have a YOUNG GUNS feature listed this month. Has this feature been discontinued?? I really looked forward to these articles.

Also...Did ya see..."they" saw the MAD FABRICATORS DVD! They wrote a review on it as well. I checked evel's site, & he hopes to have sales goin by early DEC> (really Koool cover for 2nd edition!)

I sure hope that young guns keeps article stays alive! Thanx...NICK

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ya that review RULED!!!
    I just saw it yesterday...Thats the best one yet...

STOKED!!!
    evel

3. I remember reading here,the short sighted corporate weasles upstairs pulled the plug on the Young Guns.
    No sense in trying to appeal to a younger demographic. [​IMG]

4. Foul

Foul

we're trying to do a similar thing in Hemmings Classic Car, called the Next Generation. Tough to find anybody in the under-35 crowd who owns a classic car. Unfortunately, the majority of the mag's readership would not appreciate seeing hot rodders or kustomizers, so that wipes out just about 9/10 of the young people in the hobby that I know.
    dan

5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

thats pretty lame of them. I thought it was good, gave hope to lots of us young guys, and personally I thought some of the nicest rods they featured were in the young guns section.

6. Anderson

Anderson

Evil's last name is Deluca....

because Street Rodder told me. There's a pic of him talking with Cole by Hollywood Hot Rods at a show...rockstar.

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

The editor of R&C E-mailed me about a Young Guns questions I sent him, they pulled the plug for good.

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

[ QUOTE ]
    The editor of R&C E-mailed me about a Young Guns questions I sent him, they pulled the plug for good.

[/ QUOTE ]

did he say why? I'm guessing maybe the sponsors didn't wanna do it anymore?

9. kentucky

kentucky

R&C seems to be going away from the younger folks with traditional cars. Seems the last few issues have been geared toward the street rod crowd instead of us hot rodders. There is a pic of yngrodder's cool coupe at the nats though. My guess is this kinda stuff is why Riz left, I guess the advertisers were not selling enough F1 boxes and '40 backing plates to keep them happy.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Young Guns is DEAD..........Partial reason why scribe retired his pen..I dont know the reason Riz left......corporate types were not seeing any profit and they wanted more pages dedicated to AD space.$$$$$$
    The editorial staff have very little or no power when it comes to this issue.....Zero.......Now before ya bust a nut and start a Rant about R&C..this is the way Magazines are run today.......The piece of the pie for magazines has been reduced to crumbs.....readership is way down and subscriptions account for jack shit......It does not matter if the mag is R&C or Good Housekeeping,......the internet,TV..etc,etc have given the population SO many choices.....Mags come in last....
    The Dream Car section used to be a double page spread.....reduced to a single......again, from a bean counter prospective.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Evil's last name is Deluca....

.....OOPS!.....And I have been calling him Palooka! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. I have read Rod and Custom since before the 1988 return,,,it has had many ups and downs which brought about it's demise by bean counters.

The problem is they don't listen to the people they try to target!,,,,I don't understand that type of mentality.

I enjoyed the young guns feature,,,,,you guys are the future!HRP

13. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

WOW, What a timely subject. I receieved a letter in the mail yesterday from R&C. It included a fresh 1.00 bill and a request to fill out a loooong survey. I told my wife that they must be trying to "identify" themselves again. Of course I suggested lots of homebuilt traditional style HOT RODS. More technical info on their featured rods. I have been pretty happy with R&C the past couple of years even though the mag is a little thin sometimes. I hate to see the "Young Guns" feature go. Funny Thing though- That was one of the choices in the "favorites" question. I am sure the advertisers would like more cookie cutter cars with all their billet,stainless,big name(price) items.I wish R&C would give out the results of their survey..LOL. Dale

14. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

DAMN!! Oh well, we still have HAMB & plenty of "undergroun" independant hot rod mags such as CK deluxe, Speed 'n chrome, rolls & pleats...ect.

I suggest these mags could focus (even more) on feature articles with young builders & kustomizers.

AHHH, forget what I just said.
    I'm tradin in my 52 chebby for a brand new shiney WRX or EVO! [​IMG]

15. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Yesterday I emailed the editor of R&C about my being p****d off about their 10 pages of Boyd Coddington free advertising in their mag as well as the dropping of the "Young Guns" feature. Here is the response I received from the new editor this morning.

"That all took place before my time. I don't know Boyd myself and am not really rushing over there to get on TV. I'm just interested in finding interesting cars that the readers should enjoy regardless of who built it. A guy working out of his garage has just as much chance as a professional if he's building a cool car. As far as Young Guns it has been dropped. We're not turning our backs to young builders we're just not separating them from the rest. We're still looking for guys building nice cars and if they happen to be young so much the better. We'll feature them when we find them."

Seems as though you're right; they don't want to listen!

16. hatch

hatch
    from house

It's true....advertising pays the bills...subscriptions don't....A magazine can lose money on EVERY issue printed if the advertising bucks are on target....still a huge profit. This info was told to me by a friend that controls ALL of the magazines brought to Hawaii.

17. Slide

Slide

So you mean R&C is going downhill WITHOUT my subscription??? Seems like every time I subscribe to a magazine, it gets screwed up. [​IMG] (Case in point: As soon as I sub'd to R&C, Ganahl left.)

So maybe it's NOT me??? Oh, well, just in case, I'll just not subscribe to ANY magazines. That way they won't get screwed up for those of you who are subscribers. Take one for the team, you know? [​IMG]