Register now to get rid of these ads!

(OT?) Safe way to remove AC from a car? Chainsaw?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TINGLER, Nov 26, 2004.

1. TINGLER

TINGLER

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. take it to a place that does automotive air conditoning sevrice and have then remove the freon....a `85 probabilly has R-12 , that stuff i believe is against the law to just let go out in the air

if you are just removing the motor..i may be possible to put the compressor,lines and condensor to the side and not have to mess with the freon

3. Does the air work?

If not it probably has already leaked out.

Do you know anybody that does heat and air?,,,,the home type,,,they generally have the equipment on their service trucks to remove freon,,,,,even R-12

4. hollywud

hollywud

I'd like to see the CHAINSAW method.Lemme know if you go that route,I'll drive up to see that! [​IMG]

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

unscrew one of the charging caps. Take a small screw driver and depress the schrader valve (like you are letting the air out of a tire) If it has pressure get it evacuated. If no pressure...cut away.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The EPA says R-12 bad for the ozone, if you can believe them, they say everything is bad for the ozone...

The political correct (and probably legel) way would be to have the freon pumped out.

The "old" way was to stand back and cut a hose (steel reinforced BTW) or loosen bolts at the hose to compressor fitting. The freon disapates quickly, as long as you are not in its direct path (it rises) you should be OK. The biggest personal danger is having the freon contact your bare skin, it will hard freeze whatever it contacts on the way out, good heavey gloves does wonders on protecting your hands, PROTECT YOUR EYES. A fully charged system will discharge completely in less then 2 minutes, all that will remain is some compresser oil, which is pretty harmless. All those cars that had the R-12 would discharge themselves with nearly any front end collision. There is also a very good chance there is no freon left in the system on your parts car. I've been guilty of releasing R-12 into the air, mostly before it was improper to do so. Gene

7. hollywud

hollywud

Hey von..I have a 3ft torch on my service truck ...IF you wanna borrow it.

8. tomslik

tomslik

uh, i won't tell if YOU won't.....

i THINK it's only illeagle if you are a mechanic/auto tech to dump it into the atmosphere, but i could be wrong.
    prolly don't have much of a charge anyway....

9. Caution: Wear protective Eye and Lung protection!
    Then remove vehicle from your domicile to a secluded and empty area you no longer need to use after this procedure.

The only complete way to safeguard the enviorment is to blow it out with Dynamite.
    The resulting fireball will efectively incinerate any Flourocarbons released by the removal of the A/C.
    In the interest of clean air and a smaller hole in the Ozone please adhere to this foolproof method I have devised.......
    It has yet to be approved by the EPA.

10. Judd

Judd

VonTingler
    Tommy has the best advise. It is illegal for anyone to just let R12 out in the air, must be reclaimed.

11. Stuff is only ILLEGAL to do if you get caught! [​IMG]

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

freon is harmless to breath, the main problem to health is when breathed in concentration it will displace the oxygen you need to live, that and the potential oil and other contaminates it may carry and of course if exposed directly while it is changing from a liquid to a gas it will freeze anything it comes in contact with.

the gas does become toxic when exposed to flame, that can kill you.

the major problem is what the shit does to the ozone layer we all need to live.
    a very small amout of the stuff keeps breaking down tremendous amounts our earth's natural u-v filter

what little amount that is in your car is very small compared to what leaks and is dumped from all the third world refridgerators and freezers, the worst being industrial, where countless tons of the shit is escaping right now.

I know I am responsible for at least a square mile or two of unshielded solar radiation for all the stuff I dumped while working freezer holds in Alaska in the seventies.
    it was standard practice to dump and recharge when anything like a pump or line needed replacing.

Paul

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    the major problem is what the shit does to the ozone layer we all need to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why we have global warming. Everyone in the norther tier notice how hot it is? [​IMG]

Seriously, the ozone hole was first "discovered" about 1952 & is a natural phenomenon. Yes, it has gotten bigger, but some years it is smaller. CFCs, the supposed bad apple that kills ozone, are 3 times heavier than air. How it gets into the stratosphere is anyones guess. CFCs also occur naturally. Methane is one. Chlorine gas is another. Plenty of other nastys from inside the earth as well. I read that if all the man-made CFCs since the early 1900s when first produced were added up, it would equal something like 29 million tons of the stuff. Sounds like a lot until you figure that the Mt Pinatubo eruption in the Phillipines in 1988 pushed about 19 million tons directly into the stratosphere alone. Since then, we've had at least 5 major volcanic eruptions. The oceans create nearly as much chlorine as they do carbon dioxide. When salt water evaporates, some of the sodium-chloride is released into the atmosphere (less than 20%) - when you're talking the scale of the oceans (7/10 of the earth's surface), that's a lot of chlorine. Natural methane from your ass contributes CFCs, so you're better off lighting those farts & creating blue flames to help the environment! But seriously, organic methane from animals contributes something like 10 million tons - annually! So our feeble attempt to destroy the ozone hole with R12, was misguided...we should have piped all our asses together instead!

No, the CFC scare was yet another attempt by the world PC green police to impart their will on us through the Montreal Protocol (pushed by 2 French 'scientists' - guess what, we're the only ones complying. You need R12? Go to south america or any other third world country. Guess who's making it? Dupont - same folks that made it before. But there was a lot of money to be made converting folks to R134...just like they did the last time they changed the predominant refrigerant...ammonia. Guess who made that for the cars? Dupont.

Bunch o crap.

Cut the lines, let it bleed out. Fuck the French bastards who pushed the Montreal Protocol down the world's throats w/o so much as anectodal proof. Chances are that car has been converted to the environmental friendly R134 anyway...

[​IMG]

14. tomslik

tomslik

well, boys, get to welding.
    that arc makes ozone(along with lightning and other things).

i'm not convinced that there's anything too global warming after the last couple of years.

15. McGrath

McGrath

Somebody mentioned a Torch. I am pretty sure that burnt freon makes Phosgene Gas which was used in the trenches during WWI. Bad stuff...

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I am pretty sure that burnt freon makes Phosgene Gas which was used in the trenches during WWI.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true! An early form of poison gas...bad stuff. The first poison gas to be used in WWI, later used in WWII by the Japanese, and most recently in the Iran/Iraq war - Iraq had mustard gas, Iran only had Phosgene gas...relatively easy to make! It suffocates its victims - it destroys the tissues in the lungs...

[​IMG]

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I personally think freon was present in dinosaur farts and that is what caused the last ice age. After all there were no humans around to blame. I wonder if the meat eaters got all pissy whith the vegatarians?(bigger farts) [​IMG]

Refridgerants aren't directly harmfull to us. It was the propellant in all those spray bombs we used until a few years ago, but I wouldn't knowingly release it in the atmosphere.

18. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I blame the cows and the methane they produce