Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday....Question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Apr 23, 2008.

1. We all are familiar with the Sunday, Sunday, Sunday....commercials on radio & TV for the Drag Races....but...where did they start?

I have the cd of old commercials, and they mostly seem to be from the East Coast, Englishtown springs to mind.

Is that where they started?

2. The commercials I remember were Oswego(sp?) Dragway. NY, NJ?
    Didn't they also say....."we'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the eeeeedge!" :D

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I remember them from Northern Ohio. Thompson maybe? This would have been late 60's early 70's.

4. didnt that start with the late Steve Evans,,,,,,,,,,orange county,lions, and then most of NHRA?

5. Steve Evans was the most memorable voice.

6. silent rick

silent rick

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You will never know for sure. Its like "who had the first car painted with flames".....

8. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Hell thats an easy one.... Wasnt me..:D:D:D
    dave

9. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

I always thought it was started in Indiana because of U.S. 30 Dragsrtip???? The radio ad was: Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, At Beautiful U.S. 30 Dragstrip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Bruno...

10. ks662

ks662

And Saturday night !! Under the lights!!

11. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Steve Evans....

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

followed by
    " Where the great one run"
    Wasn't that on WLS radio?

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I well remember "SUNDAY!" - NIAGARA!" being screamed on WKBW radio for the drags at Niagara Raceway near Buffalo, NY, in the very early 60's.

14. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

Hotrod, You are correct Sir..I totally forgot about the ending.

...Bruno...

15. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Englishtown Raceway Park - I'm sure of it ;)

Gary

16. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

17. J. Clear

J. Clear

I remember the Sunday, Sunday, Sunday commercials for Atco back in the 70's. I think the Englishtown ads were more like RRRrrrrrrrraceway Park!!!!! with a Woody woodpecker type voice.

J.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Thunder Valler Dragway, Marion, South Dakota! Better bring along a friend, you're gonna need one to hold you down!

Anyway, that's the way I remember it from where I grew up......

19. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

LARRY HOFFMAN, SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY COME SEE 2000 HP POWER OF NITRO BURNING THUNDER......BLA BLA BLA. I still here him on the radio occasionally.

20. BE THERE !!!!! :D

I remember those ads from the late '60s-early 70s.

21. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Sunday at whalin' U.S.30 Drag strip..where the great oonnneessss run!

22. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

Ben Christ and Bob Doss ran a dragstrip management company called The Gold Agency. They did commercials,print ads,management,a magazine called Quartermile Countdown,assisted in rules making and classification. They were also the primary if not only match race booking agents of all the tour racers,Dragsters, Fuel Altereds,Funny cars,Gassers, had the Coca Cola Cavalcade of Stars,etc. They ran tracks in San Antonio, US 30,Oswego,one in Cal,and were connected with many. They were not in good standing with NHRA, but were close to AHRA. They began the handicap system for eliminater runoffs by a car length per class diff.They alsostarted the sportsman class,and sadly the ET bracket system. They made drag racing a professional sport by keeping the racers racing weekly

23. mobile chicane

mobile chicane

Perhaps Broadway Bob?

24. i remember New York National on WABC-AM, NY.770 on your radio. SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY. don't remember E-town, thought it was that chippie voice.

25. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I'm from north western Ohio & grew up listening to CKLW(am) out of Windsor Canada.I remember hearing those 3 famous words....Sunday,Sunday,Sunday; here too.Anyone else remember the CKLW radio days?

26. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

That's almost the one I remember. WLS radio-Chicago.....

"Sunday Sunday Sunday, at beautiful US30 Dragstrip......Drag racing capitol of Chicagolaaaand!!!"

BTW, I like your "Shake Rattle & Run" avatar. :)~

27. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

when raceway park/englishtown opened in 1965 they used the sunday, sunday, sunday commercial - it was in heavy rotation on WABC 770AM radio from NYC - it was only later, mid 70's that they went to the Raaacewayyy park dragged out ID - and did it because other places started to use sunday, like Atco and NY National

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I sure do. Mid 60s. "And the hits, just keep on comin..." Always looked forward to the Detroit Dragway ads. "Suunndaaayyyy, Detroit Dragwaaayyy, Sibley at Dix". A summertime staple of 60s Detroit radio. Then there also WKNR, KEENER 13.

29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

King tut and all you old Chicago guys....You were listening to the AM style stations....as for me, I was listening to WSDM...smack dab in the middle...the station with the girls!!! later to become The LOOP, 98rock....damn I am old !!!!!!

Glendale Heights boy !!!

30. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

That was from U.S. 30 Dragstrip in Lake County, Indiana:

"We are interested in receiving images of Racing Events, Cars, Crowds, Facilities, and Advertising/Promotional materials from U.S. 30 Dragstrip in Lake County, Indiana. Opened in the mid-1950's, the track hosted numerous local, national, and specialty events until it closed in 1984. Perhaps best know in the midwest for its radio commercials announcing the "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday" race events at "Smokin" U.S. 30 Dragstrip on WLS radio 890, the dragstrip provided good clean fun (and memories) for the many who attended."

Follow this link:

http://www.vansenusauto.com/AboutUs/US30Nostalgia.php

Then "Click on play commercial".

Attached Files: