Register now to get rid of these ads!

inline 6 and a C4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick mo fo, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Slick mo fo

Slick mo fo
    from San Diego

My gal has a 61 Comet with the small 6cyl 175ci, and a noisy 3 speed on the tree.
    It lacks power to say the least. I'd like to put in a larger 6cyl and an automatic.
    I just found a c4 tranny for $100 and I'm going to go get it here real soon.
    I figure for a 100 bucks I really can't go wrong (bad or not), no matter what vehicle it goes in.

questions----
    *Will the c4 bolt up to any of the straight 6's, if so which one?
    do they have different bell housings?
    *Will a larger straight 6 mount up in the same place as the smaller one in the Comet? If so which one should I look for, and what do they come out of?

Got any tips for me?

Thanks in advance.

2. squirrel

squirrel

depends on which C4 you got....they made several different flavors. The "small" 6s (144,170,200) have a different bellhousing than the "big" 6s (240,300), and then there's the 250, which is the same size as the small 6s but uses the big 6 bellhousing from what I've read here. In general, the small 6 will fit your car pretty much as is, the big 6 won't.

And if you got an early 5 bolt small V8 C4 it won't fit either one.

3. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

4. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Mavericks and Granadas would be good donors for a 6/C4 combo. My 75 Maverick has the 250 and C4. Goes pretty good in a light car. The 250 is a tall deck version of the small 6, but uses the same bellhousing as the V8 and big 6. The 250 should drop right in place of the 170, the 240 and 300 are longer.

5. Slick mo fo

Slick mo fo
    from San Diego

I myself, love big horse power, but I doubt if I really want to squeeze 600 hp out of a 6 cyl, but I'd like the thing to be able to keep up with freeway traffic here in So Cal (in all lanes, not just the right lane), be able to get out of it's own way if need be, or spin the tires just for fun. Plus I want her to enjoy driving it, then we'll give it the right stance for the "cool factor".

I'm going to get the c4 right now, I'll let you guys know what I found.

6. Fordman75

Fordman75

Forget the big 6. The 240 and 300 are taller and longer then still not to mention much heavier. They are a great engine but way too much hassle to fit one in a Comet.

Stick with either a 200 or 250. The 250 is slightly taller then the 200.

Check out http://www.Fordsix.com There is plenty of info there on how to get plenty of power out of the small 6. And Mike( "Azcoupe" at Fordsix ) is even having some aluminum heads made with removeable 2V or 4V intake manifolds. http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35544

And whatever you do avoid Clifford performance!! Since Jack Clifford passed away they went right down the crapper.

And here's a website that can help you ID the C4 bellhousing. http://mmerlinn.tripod.com/trans/fdc4f/fd6c4bhm.htm

7. No what you have will not work. Pre 65 six bangers used a C3 slush backet. The C4 will not bolt up without the C3 belhousing.
    Best be is to yank motor and trans get a 250/C4 out of a Mustang/Mavwreck/Fairmont etc.

8. Slick mo fo

Slick mo fo
    from San Diego

I got the trans. I tried looking up the numbers from the link above and in my Motors manual, but couldn't find it. C6DP-7D027-C was on the side of the case. The guy told me it would fit the 250 or a V8.
    The converter is like 12" dia. any idea of the stall?

I'm going to be looking for a 250, seems like an easier fix for some power and plus with aftermarket bolt on's.
    Plus we need to up grade the brakes. I heard a master cylinder from a 60's mustang is a quick fix.

9. Fordman75

Fordman75

For the link I posted you need the # off the bellhousing not the case. a 66 C4 isn't the most desireable C4. But it should work behind a 250 if it's a V8 transmission.

10. Slick mo fo

Slick mo fo
    from San Diego

They hid that number pretty good, and it was a bitch to read.
    But here's what I came up with; RF-C5UP-7975-A
    I looked it up on that link, and some of the numbers were pretty close. I double checked, and triple checked, but the numbers that it was close to still didn't really tell me anything.
    I did some reading on one of the other links and it pretty much said the C5 was then one to have.