Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternative to Dynamat??? anything?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caffeine, Jun 6, 2006.

1. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Just curious if anyone is using an alternative to dynamat? i saw some sound deadener at york that was pretty cheap....i dont mind spraying my own adhesive,

for my sedan, i dont want any door panels, or anything, but i do want to put in a sound deadener, something black with no logos on it this way it doesnt look that bad.

if anyone has any suggestions, or recommendations let me know. thanks.

2. Merc63

Merc63

Don't know of anything black, but there's stuff called "Peel 'n Seal" or the like at Home Depot that is similar to Dynamat, but much cheaper. it's normally used on HVAC ducting and similar jobs.

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have used the "roadkill" stuff-it works really well. (lots of large sized purple logos,though)
    ya know-you could always put carpet over it:D

4. chaser

chaser
    from utah

I used this product one time and was not happy. It did kill the sound but also made my car smell like tar and when it got hot the stuff melted and ruined my headliner, I would use dynamat or something similar check ebay there, are some cheaper alternatives but I forget the name.

5. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

yeah thinking about this..

a little cheaper...
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=ps&pg=1&_scb=2

maybe do the damplifier pro for the floors and put the closed cell foam over it, and carpet the floor,

maybe same for roof, andthen the rest do in the knock off stuff they sell on ebay thats just a black sheet.

6. rustysconny

rustysconny

If you don't mind a bit of a mess, I've had luck with spray on undercoating. I had door panels, though, so I didn't mind if it looked like hell.

7. scarylarry

scarylarry

Your new tweed interior should help keep it quiet. DB :)

8. I've heard good things about Lizard-Skin spray on deadener. It also has insulative qualities. I've never used it but I do plan to on both my current projects.

9. TCURRIER

TCURRIER
    Alliance Vendor
    from michigan

THE STUFF CALLED THE "INSULATOR" WORKS PRETTY DARN GOOD IF YOU USE THE DUAL SIDED STUFF. KINDA A BITCH TO CUT UNLESS YOU USE A LARGE PAIR OF SCISSORS. COMES IN A 4 BY 6 ROLL AND IS ABOUT 5/16 THICK

10. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

my motor makes much more noise than yours :)....DB. haha.

good talking to you, the roadster is neat. i dig it.

and ...the van is still for sale..

11. R-Blox
    www.r-blox.com

I've used this stuff and its the real deal, about 1/3 what dynamat costs.

I got a roll in the garage right now, I wouldn't use anything else.

12. Slide

Slide

This is gonna sound real goofy, but so far it's been working real well for me in my 52:

I got a roll of the heavyweight roofing paper (tar paper), and spread a thin coat of roofing tar on one side as an adhesive. I just did it on the floors, b/c the chevy's inner door panels don't allow much access to the outer skin. Made my car quieter and cooler (and water proof!). And I let it air out for a few days, just leaving the windows down, and I've never had any issues with tar smells.

13. leadsled01

leadsled01

I used stuff I found at HD in the gutter Isle. Its silver on top and peel-n-press. Its actually for patching holes in your gutters. 4 inch wide strips. Looks just like dynamat without the writting. Also saw "ice seal" with a black top, also peel and press in about 3 foot wide, but I have not tryed that stuff.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

15. KCsledz

KCsledz

The only thing I have noticed with the no name stuff is that on the really hot days it turns into goo. Whatever tar product is in it will melt faster than the dynamat.

16. KCsledz

KCsledz

I have checked out R-blox before. It does not seem like bad stuff.

17. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

thanks, the rblox stuff and the second skin stuff are top on my list.

18. Cody,
    we sandwiched the R-Blox between a thin sheet of stainless ( 22 gauge) and the firewall in his Stude. It been in for 2 seasons and it hasn't melted yet. it did make all the difference in the world for heat and sound control.

19. Hey! Dynamat wasn't made before 1964. You can't use that!

What about thick felt sheeting?

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

This has been disscussed to death on here with a myriad of opinions...

The foil covered bubble wrap at home centers sucks. I have it in my chevelle. Better than nothing, but not worth the effort.

I used this in the coupe. http://www.fatmat.com/ It works GREAT and was 1/3 of the price of Dynamat.

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Something I've never seen come up in these threads–unless I'm not paying attention–is the details of how this stuff is applied and more importantly to me... removed if needed.

What is the adhesive like? Does Dynamat just turn into a big sticky mess eventually? And is that just going to be part of the deal if I want an insulated firewall?

I want some insulation but not at the cost of coating the inside of my car with tar.

22. R-Blox is that what it's called then? All I knew is I bought it as B-Quiet. It's some good shit.

A feller back there was asking about how it goes on, man it goes on easy as hell and it's really not messy. It has just enough sticky to it so when you roll it on it sticks to whatever you're applying it to. I have some new boxes of this shit I just ordered that's sitting on the shelf and my 53 is getting covered in it. Inside the doors, under the door panels, the entire floor, firewall is going to be doubled up, entire trunk, everything. I'm not running some crazy stereo or shit like that but when you apply this stuff to your car like that, it just feels more solid if that makes any fuckin sense. It doesn't rattle much at all, you don't hear all the road noise, everything is tight.

My car is LOUD, it's definately up there at the top with the loudest you've ever heard. I like loud pipes and since I hopped up my motor, she's even louder with more compression. That's awesome 99% of the time but there's that 1 day out of the year, or that 1 rainy day or that 1 cruise on the highway when I just wanna roll the windows up and listen to the stereo and this shit does that for me. With this stuff it not only drowns out the pipes but all the road noise, the engine, wind noise, you name it.

23. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Kevin, good point, im all for not shittying up the car too, the stuff at york, was just thin rubber with a little adhesive on the back..it looked "clean" but no foil, so i guess maybe it was just for sound.

i wouldnt be interested in any spray on or tar type cheapo fixes, there is a reason some things are cheap. the bubble wrap stuff sucks kinda...i had it in my van and ripped it out.

the second skin stuff looks good. and is priced right, i think im going to give that or rblox a try. well see in about a month when the body is ready.

24. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I have the straight pipes under the fenders. With the windows rolled up, you can carry a conversation quite easily.

Getting it off does suck though. (the fat mat) It might be easier when it is hot, but it sure is a bitch in the dead of winter.

26. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

nuther vote for fatmat.

27. newrodder41

newrodder41

I haven’t had any personal experience with this stuff but have been researching it for awhile for my own car. I found this site that shows a lot of different options and the results of tests they ran, www.sounddeadenershowdown.com .

28. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

i did spray on bed liner in my last A worked great rust pruf and they said it was good for life

29. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ