Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ZZ Top vid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, May 14, 2018.

1. Vanness

Vanness

Work??? Lol. Us taxpayers are working right now for them! Cool video. Never even heard that song. Pandora is my guide.

Stogy and Truck64 like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm going June 26th to see them (13th time) along with John Fogerty and...WILLIE NELSON! Gonna be a damn good show.

mkebaird, Alaska Jim, dan31 and 3 others like this.
  3. Don't know about famous but at least well known in certain circles of infamy :D

brEad, oldsjoe and Stogy like this.
  4. Saw them a couple years ago, it was a non scheduled event last min small venue. Got second row seats center stage. We Could see the hair on the knuckles!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  5. glrbird

glrbird

Gotta be one of the best band to ever come out of Texas!

oldsjoe, Stogy and j hansen like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Ow,ow,ow,ow!" (John Lee Hooker) Ever realize the 'similarity'?

Anybody know the truth about the ZZ Top 'Eliminater' '34 being stolen from Buffalo's shop?
    Then it was 'hushed-up'. Story, please?

Stogy and pat59 like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've played their albums on late night road trips many a time. Keeps you making miles.

Pinstriper40, oldsjoe and Stogy like this.
  8. Vanness

Vanness

That will be a hell of a show!! Damn.

oldsjoe and Stogy like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The style of song of "La Grange" is known as a boogie, a John Lee Hooker boogie (as opposed to a boogie woogie, which is generally a piano driven song, but not necessarily). Billy Gibbons is well schooled on the old blues masters. You just tell the other musicians on stage to play a boogie and give them the key, they'll know what to do. Only 1 chord, you stay on the I. Make it boogie, work it!

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Well I was rollin' down the road in some cold blue steel"...

Bet you know that one well @Mr48chev...;)...as you travel Nationwide...

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    oldsjoe and Just Gary like this.
  11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

One of my all-time favorites.

oldsjoe, Stogy, 1lucky1 and 4 others like this.
  12. Wow, I completely dig that muddy, gritty sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Stogy likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Billy has come a long way since his days with the Moving Sidewalks.

Pinstriper40 and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things go better with Coca Cola...;)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the first video there's the pickup with the drilled axil in front of the grill and the spring behind. How would they build that? Phil

Stogy likes this.
  16. It's known as a suicide front suspension and it's Jimmy Shine's '34 ford in the video. LOTS of info out there on it.

Stogy likes this.
  17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

18. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Phil

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

Been a fan since the start. Wore out several Tres Hombes 8 tracks. :D
    The Rev taught some serious guitar tone on those first 3 albums. Hell, Hendrix was an instant fan when he met Billy in '69!

Stogy, Terrible80 and Blues4U like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

A bigger ZZ Top fan you won't find...But BFG kinda pisses me off at the same time. I could NEVER pull off wearing sparkly pants and a jacket like he can! Damn that Blue Jeans Blues is so good. I can't wait for June 26th!

oldsjoe, Tim and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats the High Life of a Music Legend/Star...sometimes its just better leaving the ecentric stuff to them...Its kinda like you have a Cool Old Car but don't dress like James Dean...and thats just fine...hey some are retro like the cars but you have to want to be there...

Enjoy the show Pete...;)...it's going to be a place full of wild style thats for sure.

flatheadpete likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, that was what I meant when I said they blew away the old school rockers. You have to remember the era. It was rare to get a producer who allowed guitarists to push the boundaries like that, because it was a risk. Nobody self-produced their own albums, they were all signed by record companies who footed the studio bills and called the shots. If the record didn't sell the company lost money, so risk-averse producers usually required guitarists to clean it up and play with less distortion. But timing is everything, and ZZ hit at the right time with the right company and the right producer and the right sound engineer, and made magic. Old timers who heard it were blown away, THEY weren't allowed to get away with that in the studio! Billy had instant street cred with the old school guitar gods who knew what he did and how he did it (it's basically a Fender Strat and/or a Gibson Les Paul plugged straight into a tweed Deluxe and/or a JTM 45 and cranked all the way up) and loved it. Today he gets his tone with modern gear that closely replicates the old school tones, at more controllable volume levels. It's not quite the same, but he works it well. He has a deal with the new Magnatone amp company (wonderful amps!) but he still has a stock of old tweed Fenders and old 4 input Marshalls. Now I've probably gone way too far OT for this site. Sorry admins, just delete this post if it's too far OT, don't lock down the thread because of me. I get easily excited with this shit.

23. When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for the Viva show, ZZ was playing at the Venetian. They only sold 1800 tickets, I have seen them like 4 times but man they still sounded good! they played for an 1-1/2 and mostly all the old stuff!

Stogy likes this.
  24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I'm looking forward to seeing That Little Ol' Band from Texas over in Tulsa tomorrow night. I've seen them several times since the 70's and they are one of the most consistent bands that ever stepped on a stage.

I remember the first time that he heard "Arrested for Driving While Blind", my dad became an instant ZZ Top fan. We even drug him to a few shows back in the early 80's. My friends were blown away that my old man dug such a rocking band. He ran into them in OKC many years ago and scored an autograph for me. I said which one signed it? "One of the guys with a beard!" I still chuckle every time I look at this.

image.jpeg

Pinstriper40, oldsjoe, Tim and 2 others like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who else but BG could rock an African tribal cap either.
    Man, saw the boys about 1980 at the Portland Coliseum, my ears haven't been right since.

Check out this cool writeup.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/how-billy-gibbons-got-his-groove-back/

Stogy likes this.
  26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Not the band just billy and jeff beck, but hell if you can make 16 tons sound bad ass then i guess,YOU REALLY ARE THE MAN!!

Stogy likes this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

16 Tons is a great song, recorded by Tennessee Ernie Ford back in 1955, it has been in my repertoire for years, long before Billy redid it. I play with a guy with a baritone voice, and he loves all those old standards. People love when we pull that tune out at a gig. People think we're starting "Rock This Town" because of the similar chord pattern, but then he starts singing the lyrics and people recognize what song it is, and you can see the smiles grow on their faces and they start singing along with it, happens every time. Great song!

oldsjoe, Stogy and flatheadpete like this.
  28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Had to come back for more...We were watching SRV (2nd best guitar player ever?) and I was reminded of this.

oldsjoe and Stogy like this.
  29. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Mr. Beaner that's how I find most of my stuff! It just pops up when I was looking for something else! Then two hours later I forget what it was I went looking for! Isn't technology great! Joe

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was wondern' if dem girls will be at El Mirage this weekend??
    They would give a kick to the races,,,,,, just sayin

Stogy likes this.