Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zorbas ghost dragster goes 145mph @ hamb drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Aug 22, 2011.

1. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Finally after years of messin with this car. It finally went more than 500 ft down the strip. I am trying to replicate a 1964 dragster pass. And it has been harder for me than I would have ever thought. As it is a little touchy. And has made for some exciting first 300 feet or first 100 feet sometimes. But with that came some good photo ops. Ha,ha. see avitar

This year the excitement for me finally happend. And it was in the last 660 feet.
    This car is a direct drive, hi gear only. Just a clutch. So to get this thing moving I have to rev the hell out of it, dump the clutch and spin the tires. So if it dont spin the tires it just goes up in a wheelie. No wheelie bar on this period car.

I need more seat time in the car. I know it has been 5 years. But it is a little hard for me to get to the track real often. And part of the seat time is learning to pedal it better. With it being direct drive. If I am out of the throttle just a little to long; the motor looses it momentium. Just think of your 4 speed hot rod going up a hill. You got good speed then you get someone going slow infront of you. You go to pass , well 4th gear dont work any more. You drop it in 3 to go around. And at the same time think of starting off at the stop light in 4th and get moving. Same thing. The reason my car is hi gear only. Is that is the way that they did it back in the 60s.

With this car being a hi gear only TIRE SMOKER with a dual disc locked up clutch. It will never ET. Because it is spinning the first half of the pass. This car has always had a problem, it would spin the tires for the first 300 feet about. Then pull for about 100 feet then quit running. Just falls on its face. Well finally got that fixed with some fuel tunning. I think I can get the et down a bit with a new set of tires as mine are 8 years old and pretty glazed over. After they quit smoking their still just like free spinning. I try to pedal it to try to get it to start hooking a little. Some times I jam on the hand brake to bring the motor down. Just alot of fine lines there to get right. To keep it from reving too high, or boggin the motor.

But this time, I finally removed my HAMB Drags curse. And made a damn pass. YEEEE HAAA!!!! You can almost walk past the car while it is smoking the tires. But damn it, after the 1/8th mile this bitch sets you in the seat and is gone. My goal is to go 160MPH in this car. And I know it is in it.

I just wanted to explain this to everyone. As I spend alot of time tellin people when they are lookin at the car and askin about it. So I thought I would explain it to everyone. Since it seems like there is alot of interest.

ANOTHER CURSE THIS CAR HAS, IS CAMERAS. WE MOUNT CAMERAS ON IT ALOT. AND THEY NEVER WORK. OR PEOPLE FILMING IT DONT GET THE ACTION. SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY VIDEO OF IT. OR GOOD PHOTOS PLEASE POST IT ON THIS THREAD. SO WE CAN USE IT AS A LEARNING TOOL.
    Brian "cone killer" Fox

[​IMG]

2. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Told Ya,,, It was the most kickass pass . Finally full-on.

3. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Always fun to watch you run it man.

4. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Major props man. Lots of sorting out to get a tire burner safely down the track.

5. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

6. Man that's awesome!!! I want to see some photos and vids too! Keep on it KC!

7. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Brian did ya get that E-mail I sent of the Go-pro vid?? my youtube account no worky

8. Brian, you are one of a few that "get it". It was a pleasure talking REAL drag racing this weekend, and not your sticky as glue bracket studder box automatic tranny bullshit wheelie bar not traditional or anywhere close bullshit that the "nostalgia" movement has grown into these days.
    There is a core group of guys that wished tracks were as bare as a parking lot and we could run smoking the tires and not care about our et, just our top speed. Where oil spray and taping a rag to the back of your glove to wipe your goggles was the norm. You are one of them as well as i am. Keep goin man, we will be right behind you.
    [​IMG]
    High gear and non slipper clutches forever.

TH

9. Comin from someone who was 'there in the day', believe me Brian; We understand what you're doin! No need to explain to the guys who lived it.
    Keep at it Sir. And Thanks for keepin the vibe alive.

10. Hey mate you have got the looking real good part right...

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

12. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

No Paul. I will look in junk mail. Wish it was on there for the good pass.

13. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Just found it Paul. But no link. Your about as smart as I am on a computer. Ha,ha.

14. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Bttt......& living the dream outta' a 2 car garage & a "bird house".

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ya done good son.:) Lippy

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I loved seeing your rail man. It was incredible!!! This is the only video I caught though....

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRXuZoCZWNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

18. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

i love this car,its the real deal.i want one so bad,keep at it youll get it,looks killer too!

19. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Man, we always have too much fun with Zorba's Ghost Brian! I love every bit of it. Even digging oil pan bolts out of the gravel!!!!

20. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Beautiful digger !

21. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Good job Brian. Hopefully you and I can pair off next year. In my head that's the game plan for the new car. Glad to see that you are finally able to make it work. Todd

22. That is absolutely awesome. Sure a bunch of HAMBers would kick in some cash for a new set of rear shoes. Super nice. motor sounds stout !:eek:

23. Koz

Koz

Damn! That's the best ever. I wish somebody had a video off the line. Can't wait to see more.

24. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Cool JefferyJames!!!!!! Thanks alot. See that is what I was talkin bout learning from the video. Horriable pedal job. Damn near fell out of power band on the last pedal and it came back up this time. I cant wait to see how much mph it will get if I dont pedal it so much. All lack of seat time.

Damn , wish the cage mounted camera worked.

25. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Thanks alot for your and your brother Leon's help on Saturday. I had a great time. You old flat landers shure know a thing or two about diggers. Ha,ha.

While Im saying thanks. I would like to say thanks to Biggen, Corey and JJ for always helping me at the track. Can always count on you guys to take good care of me. Also thanks to Jason who couldnt be there this year. But did buy me a drum of fuel instead. Great guys all these hoodlums are Im tellin ya.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of my favorite all time cars at the HAMB Drags... Always a show.

27. snaptwo

snaptwo

really neat man , that's what was intended when the NDRA first got together. "All dragsters must smoke the tires the entire 1/4 mile" or something to that effect. Then things got serious, 'glide clutches vs the pedal. Yeah ET's dropped, speeds increased, shit broke and some got hurt. What I would give to watch Wap-Wap Gerry Steiner ,aka "Panzer Man" do his thing again. KISS the way it was. My 2 cents.

28. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I would kill to see you and the Hiltons go at it with your Comp Coupes. And you and I with your new car. History right there folks.

See ChassisResearchKids new car here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580892

29. 296moon

296moon
    from england

OH YES,,,,,,,, thats the nuts, more vids please!

30. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

WOW! Thanks Ryan for those kind words and for throwing a event I can play with it at. All of us "crazy bastards from St. Louis" would never miss a HAMB Drags fo sho.