Register now to get rid of these ads!

zipper motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cliff bryan, Nov 18, 2007.

1. cliff bryan

cliff bryan

any of you hamber ever purchased the glass roadster body and or frame from zipper motors...this product appeals to me and I'm curious if anyone has any comments about their product. thanks cliff bryan:confused:

2. Terry

Terry

I built one one. It is the only glass car I've ever dealt with so I can't compare it to others, but this was a very nice piece. Everything fit as easy as insert tab A into tab B. The frame and suspension was all first rate.

And they are GREAT people to talk to and deal with. We drove up and picked it up. they took the time to really talk to us, show us around, and answer any questions.

If your wanting one, I say move forward without any worries!

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

zipper is a great guy and a real craftsman! every thing is top notch.

4. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I've got one...still unfinished. Xcellent workmanship, great body blah blah. Darryl's a hoot.

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

a friend of mine has 2 of them 1 on the road. they are very nice, right out the box.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Excellent craftsmanship, top-notch people. He thinks a lot about how to make sure the product is right and consistent.

7. lakesmod

lakesmod

I bought one of his Lakes Modified bodys back a few years ago. I was so happy with it I orderd another one last year.
    Called him up in Aug 06, he said there is a 6 month wait,I said it's worth it and gave him $1000 deposit.
    6 months go by and I call him for a shipping date and he says another 2 months.OK,it's worth it.Another 2 months go by and I call again,another 2 months.
    10 months is two much so I ask for my deposit back. After 2-3 calls I get a check for $850.

This is just what happend to me.

Fred

Attached Files:

8. hotcargo

hotcargo

you know the original car that was built for Brian Brennan, red and scalloped , is in Australia and owned by Tex Smith , its his Australian summer ride

9. Terry

Terry

And from what I hear Brian got Tex's tractor.

10. Bought one of his frames 4 yrs ago...project still unfinished ..bought a body from someone else(supposedly same molds as Zipp's)..guess what?? ...I've kicked myself over & over for not buying Zippers body ....I've now got way more in fixin' the body I bought than what Zipp's cost ready to go...Frame was great ,but I ended up using nothing but the side rails ,frt x-member,suspension points....changed all the rest to fit my engine/trans combo...as far as time goes,seems like I waited almost 6 mos. for my frame...Seems Zipp took off for Australia to buy some really old bikes and left the help to fill orders....He can be sorta gruff on the phone,but Rosalee is really nice....bottom line,he is a great craftsman..

11. donavon

donavon

I worked at zipper motors for almost 7 years and have the first lakes modified i love the car and put almost 11,000 miles on it last year it is a great car

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

HaHa, Bill, I shoulda taken yours a few years ago. I'd be done by now!

I had more than one conversation with Daryl Zip when I was shopping. He is a real nice guy and I would spend with him in a moment. He told me about his time designing for Revell models. He has an eye, no doubt.

13. I believe Darryl is out of the car hobby, and is making high end guitars or some thing like that.

Darryl sold his business a while ago to the Palmers in Farmington, Utah.

They bought all the chassis stuff and body molds and are doing well.

From what I understand they are still putting out the same quality as before.

Try Zipper Motors 552 South 1025 west Farmington, Utah 84025 Tel. (801)-699-6478

Mick

14. It has had some front chassis/suspension repair work.

15. It broke? Or was it just for rego?

16. I can look it up but, but basically it was fatigue cracks in the front crossmember chassis rail area. The specifics were covered in ASR.

17. Ahh, that sparks a memory. I sort of (Vaguely) remember reading the article about Tex's car. I have the mag stashed away somewhere I will have to look it up.
    Thanks,
    Doc.

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Zipp is making banjos now! I have the second one and to the best of my knowledge, the only one with banger power. FNG Donavon (see post above) worked on the car. I've had it 10 years and I have zero complaints.

Attached Files:

19. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

Zipper makes a good product and a nice guy. Good old Grand Junction, CO

20. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

My dad has a Zipper car and loves it. Daryl built one heck of a car. Also welcome Donavon, you helped with my old man's car and he has said great things about you and your talents.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  21. fc ute

fc ute

it is now owned by a guy over here in the west, i saw it run 13,s at the last nostalgia drags

22. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Im very seriously thinking about building a Zipper Lakester.... How about some photos... Did anyone of the guys in the this post put together some build and finished photo of their projects....

Also considering setting up a Group on Yahoo for Zipper Lakester builders...

Hope to hear back .......

Rich
    My Zipper Roadster Photo Collection
    http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/KING2230/Zipper Roadster/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP, 'ol Darell loves his "Bluegrass" tunes!!---Haven't talked with him for quite a few years now.---------Don

24. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Every time I go to the LA Roadster show, I come home wanting one.

Either one of these will do me fine. I'll make room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. A few pictures of my Zipper based roadster that should be on the road this June (2010). It has been a real joy to build this track theme hot rod using a period of around 1939 California as the target focus. If you decide to build one, I'm sure you won't regret it!!!!
    Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  26. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

OOOPS..... Ron sure looks like your photos didnt attach.... How about another try...

Rich