Register now to get rid of these ads!

z'ing vs channeling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SledKicker, Oct 22, 2012.

1. SledKicker

SledKicker

I am working on my frame for my model a tudor build ( a rails, not deuce). I want to EITHER channel the body down to get it low or kick the rear 8-10 inches. i have the body off the car and am at bare frame at this point. my question is, which is easier? Or if i should do one or the other for a different reason speak up and let me know. personally i dont find the sight of visible A-rails offensive, so im not worried about channeling to hide em. just want some more low ;)

2. Fenders

Fenders

Go with the look you like -- channeled or highboy -- not because it's "easier."

3. 117harv

117harv

You mention channel, or an 8-10 inch Z, were you wanting a 8-10 inch channel? Z the frame, much easier and you wont have to worry about body geting out of shape, cutting and fabbing new sections of sub-frame.

4. I've done both for specific reasons. Z'd so the fenders and splash aprons didn't need to be re hung. Being your doing a sedan you need to think about the back seat or what's going to be left for one. I channeled my Roadster so I would have a trunk left for the gas tank to go in. The down side to channel is if you happen to be a tall guy your going to loose some head room in the closed car. I prefer the channel job. I got the car sitting where I wanted it without sacrificing suspension travel. There is a trade off for both. Most do a kick thinking it's easier, there is still a lot involved to finish the car. With the kick you need to pinch the rear section to get inside the body. And if your running closed drive what about Radieus rod clearance? It's just work no matter what. One photo shows the frame pinched to fit inside the wheel house. The other is the new channel I made to sit on top of old sub rail and weld to it. New cross members were then folded and put in. This project is still in process.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

5. oltruckag

oltruckag

I vote both - 4" channel with an 8" z. Though the body I started with didn't have anything left of the subrails, or frame...

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Z... you'll have more leg room in the sedan!!!

7. Channel it 4" width of frame, then step the frame. That s the easiest way to get 8" or so lower.

You can step the front in the toe board and it will look like 8" channel or you can step it do an Spencer style at the front crossmember