Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Zinc Solder Holding Ears on Aluminum Banger Intake?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fred A, May 31, 2014.

1. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I bought a cheap Ansen intake manifold for My A. Seems that it is cheap because the ears were broken off and repaired with some of that "miracle" solder for aluminum that is sold at some car events. Could this fix be strong enough? Sure don't want this to break on the road and run over my crusty Holley 94. Any experience in such repairs? Thanks: Fred A

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

SOLDER is the key word. I wouldn't trust it. Probably ok for a trailer queen.

3. RussTee

RussTee

why not take it to someone who can repaip it properly I did that with my old anderson bangerintake it is still together and that was on a bad casting

4. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I had an Anderson with its almost square runners, worth many times this ansen. Luckily It was worth more than it was worth and traded it for a nice Police head which I like still. For repair of the Ansen, it came that way and looks just good enough to give it a try. Was wondering if any others had used that zinc alloy rod on anything needing strength. Usually these single carb intakes work really well and much cheaper when using a Holley than almost any other. Thanks: Fred A

5. indyjps

indyjps

Might as well bolt it on and bring it up to temp a few times in the driveway, the heat cool cycleswill let you know if the repair will hold

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the repair is otherwise good and just the material is iffy why not try it. Can you rig a brace or two to the engine block so the manifold is not carrying any weight? And can't fall off if the solder job fails?

7. txturbo

txturbo

I've used the HTS2000 to repair stuff like that. Not sure if it's the same stuff. But the surrounding material will break before the repair will.

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

If you're running headers, take a look at the tabs I made to replace the usual angle iron pieces that cause those ears to break. This is a rare cast iron IMG_1055.JPG Stromberg-Bendix intake.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've restored several aluminum intakes, finned flatheads and valve covers by taking them to a welder that does TIG aluminum welding and then I do the detail grinding for appearance. You can't tell where it was repaired. I could weld it myself but I don't have the equipment or the practice necessary. I would not trust the other shit.

PS I've never heard of zinc solder.

10. Al casting can be weld repaired. Any decent aluminum welder can TIG it back and have a full fusion weld. Then finish it like Tommy suggests and should be good or better than new.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I am down here in Gardena, bring it by if you need it welded, can do while you wait and I am also here on Sat.

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

This is a great idea. I plan on running something like that on my coupe when I get to that point!