Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Zinc Chromate Primer Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickticulus, Nov 15, 2020.

1. mickticulus

mickticulus

My dad was cleaning out the attic of the garage recently and found this Aero Klad zinc chromate primer along with some Imron so he brough it over thinking I could use it. It has been there at least 40 years. I'm not a painter so I'm wondering if it is useful or should it just be recycled? I appreciate any insight! Mick

IMG_4506.JPG

2. Bugguts

Bugguts

Recycle the contents, but keep the can. It’s cool.

3. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

That stuff is especially formulated for the Aircraft industry as a primer for aluminum and magnesium, but it works just as well on steel too. Although after 40 years I wouldn't trust it. Ralphie

dsiddons likes this.
  4. v8flat44

v8flat44

Back in the mid 60s i worked at Erie Proving Grounds rehabing Herculese & Ajacks missles. We sprayed the interior of nose cones with Z C....no mask...no wonder i have sinus trouble. Get rid of it for sure. Bugguts has it...keep the can. When was the last time you saw one ?

5. mickticulus

mickticulus

Sounds like I will be recycling, definitely keeping the cans though. Thanks for the advice! Mick

6. Just sit them on the shelf! Been fine the way they are for a long time!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they haven't been opened and exposed to air, I'd shake and stir the hell out of them and use them. Then put the empty can on the shelf.

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

yup, if it stirs up then use it

Gasser 57 likes this.
  9. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Zinc Chromate was used extensively for aircraft/aerospace applications to prevent corrosion mostly on aluminum and magnesium although sometimes on ferrous alloys. The color was typically yellow although sometimes tinted to a yellowish green. It was highly effective in preventing corrosion but also effective in preventing organic growth such as molds. Unfortunately the hexavalent chromium contained in the primer is a carsinogen. It’s pretty much been banned by various organizations such as OHSA, EPA, etc. or has very strict requirements for use and safety. There are numerous substitutes still listed as Zinc Chromate but they contain little or no hexavalent chromium. If you want to keep the can I would just leave it sealed unless it has been opened before.

Roothawg likes this.
  10. I agree, if it is unopened and is still liquid, just mix it well so all of the solids that may have settled out are put back into suspension. No real reason it can't be used, although you may not want to do on something that would be difficult to redo, just in case. It was used a lot in aerospace, over anodized (but unsealed) aluminum to provide good corrosion resistance under the topcoat. The anodizing was to aid adhesion. The active ingredient part is the hexavalent chromium, which is also on the carcinogen list. It will work on steel. Just wear proper PPE so you are not breathing in the vapors when painting or a lot of sanding. For that matter Imron is also bad for you, so same cautions. Imron has isocyanates as the bad for you part.

warbird1 and Roothawg like this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

The old Zinc Chromate has been pulled off the market because it has hexavalent chromium. They still sell it, but it has been reformulated to be more environmentally friendly. It's usually only an issue when sanded. Sort of like asbestos. We just spent close to a million bucks cleaning our hangars.

12. The old stuff is the "good" stuff; I know cause I've stripped a lot of it over the last 35 years. If you have any aluminum to paint I'd use it (taking proper precautions) and then save the can. You can't get it anymore and the newer stuff doesn't work nearly as well.

alanp561 and rusty valley like this.
  13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Back in the early 80s, my dad and I stripped/prepped/ repainted a couple of early 70s Freightliner trucks. They had a light green primer on the aluminum. Would that have been about the same stuff?

14. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Most likely. Carbon black and a chromium pigment (green) was sometime added to zinc chromate primer to reduce the translucent zinc powder (yellow) to make it cover better. Zinc Chromate was widely used on anything made from aluminum. A lot of time the surfaces unseen were left in just the primer coating but was also used extensively for surfaces top-coated with various paints.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Oh no! I should have been dead by now.

warbird1 and Roothawg like this.
  16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

me too

warbird1 likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

yep. I think I may have died in 97.

warbird1 likes this.
  18. mickticulus

mickticulus

Maybe what this was for. The previous homeowner was a truck driver.