Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Zerks for Hoop Steering Arms (round back spindles)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Miles C, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Miles C

Miles C
    from Australia

Hi HAMbers.

What is the go for the upper zerk/grease nipple, when using a hoop style steering arm on 37-41 round back spindles.

Not a lot of room in there. Original straight fitting points straight at the steering arm. I have tried a 90 and 45 zerk that I found locally but they were still too bulky to fit between the arm and spindle.

There has to be something, surely everyone using a hoop steering arm isn't pulling the whole front end apart to grease their kingpin??!!

I'm in Australia but happy to order from the US if anybody could kindly point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys. Cheers!

2. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Same problem as mine, I just take the hoop of when greasing, no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too. Take the hoop off.

4. I use 90 degree zerks. 45 degree work in some cases.

5. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I use a 90 and dress it down a bit with a dremel for clearance. I really can't imagine taking the hoop off to grease the spindle ! maybe i'm just lazy but having to take off the wheel and drum and fight with the grease baffle just to grease one fitting seems like alot on unnecessary work.

6. Just went out in the garage and checked, I have the same set up and a 90* fitting works in mine. Maybe some fittings are shorter than others but the 90* fits mine just fine.

7. ydopen

ydopen

I use a 90. I installed it before I put the hoop on.

John

8. 90 here to. You should be able to make a 90 work, with some slight modifications.

9. 90° zerk as well. Had to clearance it a little. Can't imagine taking the hoop off every time I grease things.( I grease like once a month.)

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Google OTC-2322 could be a fix

11. Miles C

Miles C
    from Australia

Thanks a bunch guys.

I knew it had to be possible, no way I was gonna take all the gear off just to grease.

The first fittings I tried came from a local chain that does hoses and hydraulic stuff. They were huge and never going to fit, thus my original question.

Today I went to a bearing store and they had these beauties. Comparing the two, the size difference is substantial for a zerk of the same thread. Just goes to show zerks ain't zerks and different suppliers stock different brands.

The new smaller 90 still needed flat put on one side, but it fits with about a millimetre spare.

Left to right, original '40 straight fitting, the 90 I ended up using, and the 45 that I originally tried (the 90s were the same size from that supplier).

All sorted now and hopefully this thread can help someone else out in the future.

Cheers

Attached Files:

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stogy likes this.