Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zephyr V12 distributor conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 777, Nov 3, 2011.

1. 777

from Pasadena

I was chasing an unusual timing event in the Belond roadster's engine. It seemed to increase with rpm but it wasn't out of sync and it could easily be heard in the left and right bank. 2 plugs were running colder then the other 6 but not fouling.

Turns out the breaker point cam in my Harman Collins Zephyr conversion had 5 lobes instead of 4 !!!! Talk about a bitch to indentify without a scope!

So I got to thinking about these wonderful early performance parts and how crude they are and where in the world was I going to find a replacement breaker cam for a Zephyr conversion, and when I found it would it be better then what I had?

In this case desperation being the mother of invention I tried my hand at converting a V8 breaker cam into a 4 lobe. Took about 30 minutes and is a whole lot more accurate then the one that its replacing.
    I'll let you all know how it works out.

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's what they used, the cam from the basic '37-41 Ford in the V12 case with half the lobes axed. There is a good series in 1953-4 car Craft on Dean Moon's version of how to convert...

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Yeah, but what would 5 lobes have been for? DD

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's the popular LZ conversion for the Triton and Viper, I believe.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Bruce...When I saw that YOU had replied to this question, I just knew you were gonna make ME look stupid. Thanks! DD

6. 777 if you need V12 distributor parts let me know I'll ship you what you need at no charge let me know. I have a lot extra.

Frenchy

7. 777

from Pasadena

thanks Frenchy,
    I'll keep you in mind.
    Michael