Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zephyr syncros

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hank50car, Feb 23, 2012.

1. I have a 1949 Ford F 1 that I grenaded the trans a while back. I had a 47 Zephyr trans that I took the gears out of and put in the truck case. It clashes going into 3rd gear unless I double clutch. Are the syncros the same or do I need to find Zephyr specific syncros ?

2. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

A pretty common swap for strength and ratios in the day.,,I used a 25 tooth once upon a time. It sounds like a 3rd gear syncro problem. By the way you may want to first make sure that you are using GL-4 and not GL-5 gear oil. Both have moly sulphide, however the "improved" GL-5 was a significant change and benefits "shock" but not brass syncro operation. This is a whole other story. There are lots of internet threads on this. Personally after trying Redline and Amsoil synthetics, Valvoline GL4/GL5 I finally can shift (drag race) my toploader 4spd

3. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

sorry, forgot to mentioned the gear lube that worked for me: Stalube GL-4...now more of an industrial application

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Any of the brass ring types of Ford synchro '39-48, '49-50 Merc, Pickup, etc. will work.
    On the rings at least contact Mac Van pelt, as I understand he now makes good ones. There have been some junk ones available in recent years.
    Commonest synchro now is actually a '49 Merc version.
    There is no difference between Ford and LZ trans innards except for the tooth counts.