Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ZC Mallory advance curve and tuning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Boden

Boden

I have a ZC Mallory dual point 2 piece cap in my my merc 8ba. I’m running a hidden msd box and using the points to trigger the msd. Runs amazing but it detonates a little at higher rpm. I’m running 8 degrees of initial, does anyone know if there’s a spring kit or bushing kit to adjust the advance curve? I’m headed out to the garage right after I post this to check the total timing and do the math on the curve. But if anyone knows of where I can get that stuff please respond or shoot me a pm.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How 'bout : "Don't". Especially if your car is still 6 volt. It's like putting Olds Rocket valve covers on an SBC.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would buy a CD box and use the points to trigger it. Those points will last forever just triggering the CD box. You will also have a very powerful ignition where as your not adding anything performance wise with the Pertronix.. I've been looking at the Vertex Z-6 box. There suppose to be made here and the price is reasonable..

Boden likes this.
  4. Boden

Boden

This is exactly what I did. I had a old msd 7al box laying around. Removed one of the points and wired it up as like you said using the points as a trigger. Gapped the plugs to .040 and it runs fucking amazing! Tons of power and is definitely my favorite modification I’ve done to this motor. And got to keep the Mallory flat top distributor. And looking under the hood you’d never know I was running msd

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi, I also have the same question for my plymouth flathead w ZC Mallory. Also I am wondering how to disable the vacuum advance....my understanding is that disconnecting the vacuum line does not disable the mechanism rather a different spring in the mechanism needs to be installed to disable a "vacuum advance brake"....hmmm? Also I am looking for a source of mechanical advance springs so I can play with the mechanical advance for fun and to learn how to use a distributor machine. So I am following this thread.

Boden likes this.
  6. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Also, may I ask what points you have in your zc distributor. I know you removed one set to trigger a msd box , but what part number is your points and were both the same or was there a left and right or primary and secondary point set each w a diff part number. Thx for any additional info. (I don't think my points are correct...I have two zc distributors tutors w diff points in each one, ha....?)

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I bought a set of Pertronics springs, used the weakest of them. The size was right.