Register now to get rid of these ads!

Z-ed my A frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedtudor, Jul 4, 2010.

1. dude, your frame rails are gonna be as high as your cowl!

2. #### No kidding !! Will the headers exit under the frame rails and how far above the roof will the aircleaner be ?? And the lawn needs fertilized !!! >>>>.

3. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Whether it works out or not, it just looks ridiculous...not trying to bash, but man....

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Amen! Crazy rear Z's "can" work but more than 4"in the front screws up everything. That said, your workmanship looks nice:D

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

what are the wheelie bars attached to in the garage? good luck with your project

6. Niklas sweden

Niklas sweden

I like it,new idees are born in this typ of projekt.
    Its radikal, im put out some pics of my Hill climb projekt.

The frame goes under the rearend and have a model a spring, i have a small kick in front and suicide set up on the axel. 5" droppd axel and the stering rod between the wheels goes between the radiator and engine on the upper side of the frame, its work really fine, but some guys told me it wouldint work.
    I have ground clerance of 2" and it works but its touches the ground some times :)

Here a bad film of my fist test drive on the road today, its really low!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv_1cjP1-Es

Must follow this build!

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that the radiator will have to go in front of the cross member.

Not sure about the engine, though.

Careful with those patio chairs, when the plastic starts to chalk, the solvent that keeps them flexible is mostly gone. They can crack and fail without warning.

8. Niklas sweden

Niklas sweden

pics!

Attached Files:

9. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i was under the impression rat rods were out of style this year but alas, what is old is new again LOL

10. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'm also worried about that scrub line. God forbid you blow a tire doing 70 down the highway. Your life is going to get really interesting, really quickly! I don't know what kind of springs you're using that aren't going to squash a bit when you add the weight of engine, trans, body, interior, fuel and driver. Get about 5 of your closest friends over to stand on that frame to see how much it flattens out and you'll be close to actual ride height. I'll bet you're under 2" of clearance. You'll high center on your own shadow. The craftsmanship is nice, but the planning seems a bit lacking. Just another goon's opinion. It's your car. Scrape it down the road however you want.

11. nice tire/rim/brake drum/ rear diff choices. i can't see whay you would want to build a car that requires you to think and problem solve. ;)

12. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Ok, everybody CALM DOWN....I'm not running an A axel up front, nor a dropped axel. There is plenty of ground clearance, even with the motor and tranny, body, fuel, people...I loaded the frame before even starting shop drawings...geesh, you guys think everyone works out behind the barn...lol Oh, and by the way if I wanted it to look like everyone else's ride I would have left it stock.....but I guess some guys don't get it....JUST BUILD IT !!! dare to be different

13. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I'm saving your pictures,,I like to learn.

14. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Be Creative! Be different! Some minds are as narrow as the roads they drive on! Go for it! Cant wait for more pics!

15. Since when did a slammed and heavily chopped Model A tudor become an original idea?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a 6" kick in the shop truck, with an un-dropped axle, and the spring behind the radiator, which is between the spring cross-member and axle.

The design is based on a car that I was inspired by, that I saw in the 70's, that was built in the early-to-mid 60's. I could not get the design out of my head, so I build one. Certainly not a rat-rod.

It works for me, but lots of folks don't like it, especially here.

It is your car, go your own way. Just do quality work, and make it safe.

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i resent that i dont have a barn and work out in front of the house in the driveway lmao build away ,

Aswright likes this.
  18. bikersteve

bikersteve

There are other ways to achieve the ride height yo are looking for, this one looks like it will need more than a little "out there" problem solving during the build.....and that is where some great ideas can come from....looking forward to seeing this come together....nice workmanship on the frame, but ditto to all the fishplate comments, the joints being at such steep angles are placing a lot of stress on a relatively small area of frame...good luck with it!

19. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

That front spring is wrong for the application. Thats raising the car up unnecessarily.

20. busch

busch

choppedtudor looken good keep us posted
    Different does make the world go round showem what you got

21. the-rodster

the-rodster

I dunno, it might work.

Or is might look like shit.

Notch's truck has about the same amount of Z front and rear.

[​IMG]

22. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

so what kind of axle are you running, any pics with the body on?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love that thing.
    [​IMG]

24. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

might have to drop your front axle the other direction :)

25. Take a look at Vapheads frames... the way he does his front kick is nice. My friend Z'd his similar to Erics (6") and ended up having to shim and swap springs to keep the frame from scraping the ground.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329100

more to look at here...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?u=691

That front Z looks hideous and like more work re-inventing the wheel than necessary imo... but it's your ride... build it and if it doesn't work... build it again.

26. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

gotta keep an eye on this thread..

27. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

AMEN !!!! to that

28. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

im just gonna go on record as saying i did bash you originally but the more i thought about it the more i wanna give you a chance. so show us your build thread and let the work speak for itself. cause you may just pull it off...who knows

29. George G

George G

I said pretty much exactly the same thing " I can't believe I just cut up a perfect frame" as it lay there apart on the shop floor. Especially after a big hunt for a good model A frame.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  30. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dont tell me A model frames are now too precious to cut up....