Register now to get rid of these ads!

Z/28 cam (the 140 cam)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnk320, Feb 22, 2011.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

didn't you get the memo? SBC's are boring.:confused:

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

wide lda cams need a LOT of mech. compression as the wide lda delays the intake closing point. Also has less torque compared to the same cam on a tight lda, for the same reason. They also idle better than a tight lda, and the power hangs on longer after peak. I am building a 327 with a custom grind wide lda cam for a street car, I will be running 11.8/1 on 94 with cold air, tight squish, and flat-tops.

The isky 505 is a tight lda cam. If memory serves, 254@050, 108 lda.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, I would say at LEAST 4.56s with a 140.

4. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I ran a custom ground Comp Cam in a motor in my coupe with 11.5:1, 2.02 dart heads with a 3500 stall and 3.55 rear gears. It had an offy with 2 600cfm edelbrocks on it and was a pain at low rpm on the street constant burping it to clear it up but at WTFO it hauled ass and was quite a scary ride. Cam specs were .594/.616 lift and 303/312 duration, damn thing sounded like a fueler at idle but idled at about 1600rpm. What saved this at low rpm was the cars total weight was under 2500 lbs with me in it. Huge cams on the street, like mechanical injection can be done just takes getting used to and playing with. On a side note might i reccomend getting the motor together and a few miles on it before the MFI goes on that way your not de bugging both and you know how the motor will act, thats how I'm doing mine I've got a hilborn for the BBC that gonna go on someday after I gather all my parts! Good luck-Paul

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Normally, I pretty much agree with Dueces, but not in this case. I have run WAY more radical cams on the street than the 140. It will NEED the big compression, or it will be a pig, you will also need lots of initial advance to make it work. If you approach running stuff like this on the street with a half-assed, plug & play attitude, he is right, it wont work for you. You have to have the capability and common sense to set it up and tune it properly. I have run rollers on the street with 280+@ 050 and holley dominators, you arent gonna just bolt it together and back it out of the driveway and go. As usual, I am starting to regret even getting involved in an internet cam or carb thread, think I will just shut up now.

6. Yet, more bang for the buck than any other motor on the planet;)

7. Did I miss the weight of your car? Was it posted?

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

im running a way too big cam myself. .530int/.550 exhaust, 301 duration, 112 lsa. Its nasty in a 10-1 327 topped with a tunnel ram and 2 600s. Like most have stated, idle is about 1200, doggy till about 3400, then at WOT holy fuck! Its a royal pain in the ass to drive now. 3.73 gears out back with a 30 inch tire.

9. In the 70's things were different. Gas had a ton of octane, my job at the gas station was only 4 blocks from home, and my girl lived about a mile away. Running 4.56's was no big deal. Today things are a bit different. Everything's spread out and I'm driving a lot further to the things I enjoy. So, I cheat. The Vette in my avatar has a 406" small block with Brodix heads, a fairly aggressive solid stick, and a vintage power robbing intake manifold. But, with 3.55's I can drive it anywhere I like and it hauls ass starting from around 2000 RPM

[​IMG]

I don't know WHY I can't post a second picture

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    MikeRose likes this.
  10. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I ran the "151" cam in a 67 Camaro i had a million years ago and it was a great all around cam..... 327/350hp

Deuces likes this.
  11. Only boring if you can make one of these statements:

#1 I don't like valve in head engines and 100 hp is good.

#2 I do like getting out run by a fella who doesn't have 2 nickles to rub together and doesn't care if I think his engine is boring.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.:eek:

I think that a target crate motor in a street rod is boring as hell. But about a well built engine in a hot rod is interesting. Hell I could even get interested in a briggs and straten in a peddle car if the briggs was built and the peddle car was traditionally styled.

Deuces and falcongeorge like this.
  12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It always makes me laugh when people jump on the "sbcs suck" bandwagon, since they became as popular as they did for the very same reasons that Ford flatheads did twenty years earlier.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh well, in for a dime, in for a dollar.Two things jump out at me as being obvious problems with your combination. 3.73 with a 30" tire is a TALL gear, if you are going to run that tall a tire, you need alot more gear, with a 30" tire, I would look at 4.56's, and as I said earlier, if you are going to run a big cam with a wide lda, you need to run more compression. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you are seeing in the range of 150 psi on a compression gauge. you either A) need to go to a cam with a tighter lda, or B) increase the compression ratio. If you are running iron heads on 92-93 you would want to see around 190 psi. If you try to do this with the overall gearing you are currently running, it will probably ping. You will also need to run outside air.If you are going to run this kind of stuff and expect it to work, you cannot take a half-assed approach, you have to really start to look at the whole combination, and think hard about what you are doing.
    How much initial are you running? Should be around 18 deg. Also, where is the cam installed? Straight up? You can probably successfully crutch this combo by advancing the cam 4 degrees, so its in @ 108. That will help the cranking compression at least.

If you want more, PM me.​

14. Deuces

Deuces

Try using the mannage attachment file... :D

15. Deuces

Deuces

That's one of my favs!! :D

16. Rodder29

Rodder29

Many years back I had a 69 Camaro that had a 355 SBC, I had the second design off road cam in it, Muncie tranny, 5.13 gears 31x12.5 tire on it. I would launch it @ 7000 rpm, what a launch, and what a great sound from Idle to redline. I did drive it on the street, but she begged to be opened up all the time. Fun car back then.

17. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I ran a Z-28 off road cam in my 331 powered '66 Chevy II back in the day. Had flat top pistons, 2.02 heads, a double ended Holly, mallory dual point, and tube headers. Power shifted at 6 grand with a M21 Muncie and pulled a 4.10 posi on the street. Ran damn good in my opinion and never had a problem. Would pull the left front with 60 series street tires and ran like a scalded dog. It sure surprised a lot of big blocks... If that's boring I'd have bored myself to death years ago... Just sayin'

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It was the mouse motor that dethroned the almighty flathead. The king is dead (flathead) Long live the king (SBC)

falcongeorge and wingman9 like this.
  19. noboD

noboD

This is a dream of mine too. Let us know how it works, Johnk320

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have run the 140, the 151 and a bunch of other camshafts in my 40 plus years of messing with cars. Camshaft technology has advanced way past all those old profiles. :)

I suggest you call up the camshaft manufacter of your choice and have them cut you a camshaft. You will need to tell them cubic inches, compression ratio, rear gear ratio, tire size and the transmission you have. Then the weight of the vehicle.

They are the PROFESSIONALS ...
    and they do it well.
    They want you to be HAPPY.

I like Lunati ... myself. :D

[​IMG]

21. AllenK

AllenK

I guess I'm boring! A thumping cam SBC is never boring to me! :)

22. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

23. I agree technology has come a long way. But, if you're not splitting hairs in some highly competitive super stock class, those old cams stilll "work"

24. Joe Lunchbox

Joe Lunchbox
    from Orygone

Johnk.......... Comp cams has told me they could grind a solid roller 30-30 profile.
    Just an option, i guess !!

Jesse

25. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Wow!!! You guys are AWESOME!!!! I love all these responses! Let me try to respond to some of these....

No I missed the memo - thankfully! But mine will be (bored) .030 over...

Cam science indeed has advanced light years beyond what it was in the '60s but like Groucho sez above... I'm just lookin to have fun in a nasty sounding vehicle. Now, before you jump all over me for that statement keep in mind I want to do this project as a kid would have done in the sixties. I don't want junk but I don't have thousands of $$$ to spend either.

Weight of the vehicle will be around 3000 pounds.

Great idea! Shake out the newly built mill with a four barrel THEN install the injectors. I think I'll do that!

noboD - When this starts coming together I'll be posting a comprehensive thread here...

falcongeorge... haven't heard that one in quite a while (in for a dime...). You chime in whenever, pal! I welcome ALL comments and suggestions.

I guess that's it for now. Keep those cards and letter coming, guys!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know the Isky 505T is still available from Isky, right? Its a period cam, and I would pick it over the chevy 140. Its 254/108/505. I plan to use a 505T in the 289 I am building for a late sixties style hot rod. Plan to run it with around 11.5/1, dual afbs, a 4-speed, and 4.88s with a 30" tall tire. With tires that tall & a 4 speed, 4.88s arent really that bad on the street. Hey, your building a so-called gasser, so man up!:D

And I agree 100% with sorting it out with a single carb before you put the injectors on.

Deuces likes this.
  27. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

The 505 has been my choice from the start. But then I remembered my buddy running that 140 cam in high school and man did that car fly! Plus, I plan on running a cheater slick on the street with the big gears so it sounds like we're going down similar roads.

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... but back then you could run 11 to 1 on the street with pump gas.
    Not so now ...

A new camshaft ( with todays advances ) does not cost more than the old technology stuff ... and is tailored for you combination ... for todays conditions.

:D

29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

yea, but they are made with sharp ramps and stiff valve springs because they dont expect you to drive the motor often enough to wear stuff out