Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your Opinion Wanted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by red3, May 1, 2009.

1. red3

red3

I am looking to change the steering wheel in my 63 C-10. Just wondering if any one had an opinion on what I should replace it with. I have the original in it now, and I have a few others laying around the garage. I have a black grant foam grip and I even have a Chrome 8 inch chain steering wheel my dad gave me! I am open to all suggestions.

2. Franken4

Franken4
    from Texas

So many variations to use. Mostly depends on your taste I suppose. Old school? Maybe a vintage metal flake, color depending on the vehicle or interior. Chain link would be cool though as well, If it was chrome. Gold really depends on the vehicle though..sometimes they just don't look right. Grants are always a good idea. Cheap, easy to work with and very reliable..and by that I mean comfortable. Or maybe one out of an old Impala? Might set it off pretty good. Use your imagination. Like I said, depends on not only your style, but what your planning to do with the truck. Just my two cents.

3. red3

red3

Thanks franken4, the chain link was in it before, looked cool but damn near tore my pinky off. Thats another post for a another day.

4. The Stitch

The Stitch

i think grant makes a new version of the "original 500" superior performance wooden.
    [​IMG]

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

'61 Impala

Attached Files:

6. Franken4

Franken4
    from Texas

Yes, thats a big con with the chain-links. Finger snapping good!! And the pic of the 61 Impala..that one should be at the top of your list! Excellent. Either way you go I'm sure it'll turn out looking wicked!:D

7. Rooney00

Rooney00

My first thought was the Impala. I put one of those small chain ones on my go cart when I was 8. Found it at a garage sail. It really depends on the rest of the truck though. How about some more details.

8. whaletail

whaletail
    from Austin TX

Exactly what I was thinking, I put one in my 59 and love it.

9. red3

red3

Here is the finger Chopper I was Talking about.

[​IMG]

10. Go with the chain wheel, it rules, and you could drive with handcuffs on if need be.

11. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

aren't you still runnin around with those cuffs still on?

12. red3

red3

Dude I aint got power steering otherwise I would.

13. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I was gonna say use a chain wheel just to be a smart ass, but you beat me to the punch :)

14. red3

red3

These things are crazy, my uncle had one in 65 Buick wildcat now he has a 12inch scar on his chest to remember it .

15. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

I was stationed with a kid from Califorinia in Minot, N.D. He had a radical 65 GTO with a Chain steering wheel. He learned the hard way that you shouldn't grab a metal wheel bare handed, in the winters of N.D. He was stuck solid until one of us took pity and poured some warm water.

16. red3

red3

Lucky for him you dident leave him till the spring

17. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

My belief is that the chain wheels are meant to be used as a novelty item only ,

I need and want to keep my fingers to much to use a chain wheel on the street ,

One wrong bump and ,their it goes..OR could !

Lots of other steering wheels out their to choose from to use other then something that may get yourself maimed with........

Do some thinking for yourself and I'm sure you'll come-up with a great idea that you will love ,Screw what everybody else thinks.........

Just my two cents worth............

18. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Build a mold and encase the chain in clear or lightly tinted plastic.
    Keep the look and save the pinkies.

19. red3

red3

Thanks wetatt, I know that it is up to me but input from fellow H.A.M.B.ers is allways welcome. so here is how it looks now.[​IMG]

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have a black grant foam grip and I even have a Chrome 8 inch chain steering wheel my dad gave me!

Let's rule both of these out. Something like the 61 noted above would be cool. Being a 60's era truck you could get away with a flake wheel, but other than that, I'd never go with a smaller wheel.

21. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Hey what about a "62" Pontiac wheel! It is partially transparent, you could paint the red part blue, that would be sweet.

Attached Files:

22. red3

red3

I am probably gonna stay with a bigger wheel since it makes it easy for my wife to drive when she feels like it.

23. red3

red3

Holy cow thats nice Thanks Curly Hand.

24. rjgideon

rjgideon

Moon classic white to go with the white on the dash. $65 for a 15" wheel.

Attached Files:

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

How about the '60-'65 C-10 factory Custom steering wheel? It would certainly not look out of place, lol. '66 Custom horn ring is different and not as cool in my opinion.

***Edited To Add***
    I LOVE that ponitac wheel above. I wish I had one of those for my '63 C-10. What do these go for when they come up for sale?

26. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

1964 Malibu "SS" wheel (or something similar) with brushed spokes and the cool center cap with the chevy emblem. Could be on the pricey side these days. Gary