Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your opinion on the ford cruise-o-matic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malaguena, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replaced the Ford-O-Matic in my 56 Victoria with a 62 medium case Cruise-O-Matic behind a 292. So far it's been the best change I've made in the car. I had to fab some on the column linkage and really like the vacuum modulator for shifting. The down shift arm was also pretty easy to adjust using a slot style fitting on original throttle pressure arm. Best thing is seeing the "green dot" on the indicator. image.jpeg

2. I put a '63 Cruise-O MX (big case) in my Mysterion reproduction to match what Roth used. The guy I bought it from took it out of his Galaxie 'cause it quit shifting. I rebuilt it and it was pristine inside except the Bellville clutch spring was broken. I got a replacement on ebaY. Was easy to get a rebuild kit.
    broken tranny spring.jpg

3. I once had a 49 ford F-1 with a 289/cast iron cruiso and a 4.27 rear gear. Trans worked great! Busted the spindly dana rear end twice. 49fordpu.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Dennis Cator

Dennis Cator
    from CANADA

Simple question for you Mechanical Artists Im looking at buying this 1951 Monarch Canadian model of 1951 FORD 56000 Miles real Do you think the automatic transmission will be in decent shape.I know it depends on service and ownership care. But generally were theses early tranys Pretty tough?

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I remember the transmission in my 62 Galaxie used to make this pounding sound then sitting at a light.. I never knew what a automatic was really like until I went for a ride my our friends 70 Olds 442. 455/turbo 400.. Wow did that car go..

6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i guess i can tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer. i have never had a borg warner automatic transmission hold up to me, ford or amc.