Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Your neighborhood Muffler-Man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

3. Hey Squirrel when I Lived in Tucson back in the Day I used to Deal
    with That Shop,
    He was a Great Guy.!

just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & die a Fool

squirrel likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing about Scotty's Mufflers in San Berdoo? Scotty's.jpg

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  5. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Porknbeaner, that looks to be Roses on old 71 down the street from Truman Corners, correct?

6. scotts52

scotts52

Years ago, when I lived in Wenatchee, WA, there was a muffler car. It ran and drove as far as I know but was shaped to look like a muffler.

7. scotts52

scotts52

I guess there's two now. Screenshot_20180217-143820.png 003 - Copy.jpg.cf.jpg

8. ken bogren

ken bogren
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one in Springfield, IL. His flag is wound up right now, but fear not a breeze will come along and unwind it.
    P1020139a.jpg

9. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

BREAD like in laid?

10. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Fantastic!!!

11. No picture of a muffler man, and I didn't get a picture of the sign, but years ago in Blacksburg VA, I saw a sign in front of a muffler shop that said, "Our work is exhausting, but we do it for you."

Donuts & Peelouts and scotts52 like this.
  12. Here's one with a big wiener DSCN2120 (2).JPG .

13. no, i think it is just a shadow.......

dan31, driverquality and brad2v like this.
  14. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Is that the foot long?

And then some!!!

15. :D let the listener/reader make that distinction :D

16. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

This muffler shop is down the street from my work.
    Plaza Muffler 02.JPG
    This is usually parked out front
    Plaza Muffler 01.jpg
    I used to pass this guy up on my way to work on the 405
    Big Guy 01.JPG

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Donuts & Peelouts and scotts52 like this.
  18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Ron Funkhouser and brad2v like this.
  19. Here he is again. only now he's a cow boy.
    DSCF3586.JPG

20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

22. Those are all pictures I took on a RT66 road trip all along the rout there are big statues, a lot of them are variants of the muffler man.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. driverquality

driverquality

Not a muffler man, but he does at least have exhaust heat shields. This is my son in front of Transmission Man. Made by a local artist from junk transmission and suspension parts found in the scrap bin at the shop I work at.

[​IMG]

24. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

driverquality likes this.
  25. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

[​IMG]
    Well this guy is close to me in East LA, everyboy calls him Tony, might be his cousin lol

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Back in 1958 or even earlier, this old shop on the Westside of Long Beach was called Moe’s Muffler Shop. It was run by this old hot rodder that had tremendous welding skills. It seemed like it was our home away from home. This place has obviously changed over the years. It is 5 blocks from our old Long Beach house and very close to Lions Dragstrip.

Back then, it was strictly a muffler shop with a small metal building painted yellow for an office. When asked if he needed a larger office, he always said that he was in “the pit” more than in the office, so that small desk and chair fit just right. (Rain or shine.) Even in the winter, some kind of heater kept that small office warm, but he was usually fixing or installing stuff in the pit racks.

There was a single lift on the side and in front, a drive over, work area (pit) deep in the ground. From the looks of it, the deep well for getting under the whole car is filled and is gone. But, we spent many hours in that well to figure out where the down pipes were going to be on the 58 Impala, welding headers to fit and changing to straight through mufflers for performance. When we needed exhaust tubes/pipes for the 40 Willys, he did a great job of adding them to the SBC Hedman Headers, the downpipes, and tube mufflers. My brother and I could both gas weld, but this guy was a fantastic, smooth, bead laying wizard.

Moe was always busy, but had time for us teenagers and our hot rod cars. By the way, he did not have a huge replica statue of Paul Bunyan…that was at the Dooley’s Hardware Store a few miles north. But, he did have a tiny man made out of welding sticks leaning on a miniature muffler sitting on his small desk. Thanks for all of the help and great welding, Moe…

Today, the name is still listed as a muffler shop, but with a new owner.
    upload_2018-2-24_3-31-50.png

Jnaki

A couple of times, when we needed other welding jobs or repairs we frequented this place at the other end (towards the LB/Terminal Island Harbor) of Santa Fe Avenue in Long Beach. It was also 4 blocks from our old house. It was located near Mickey Thompson’s Racecar Shop and was much larger than little Moe’s Muffler Shop that was closer to Lions. Bill Williams Welding Shop was almost a block deep and 1/4 wide. They were big time, commercial welding people, with mobile trucks, but did small jobs, too.

This larger welding shop made the custom, tow bar for our 40 Willys Coupe, that fit perfectly on the front bumper brackets. They also made a solid (2x3) bar for a trailer hitch and ball for the 58 Impala. That solid trailer hitch sticking out, saved our rear bumper and 6 red tail lights many times at sloped parking lots and drive-ins. (both the viewing kind and restaurants)

The front row of Merle’s Drive-In in Newport Beach was the place to be during Easter Vacation. (Spring Break, now) The actual front row was on the curb of the building, but the real front row had the drive through lane in front of your car. If you were here on the front row of that driveway lane, you saw everyone drive by for some fun times.

Behind that row, you had to watch out for novices parked behind you leaving in their stick shift cars. The slope made them roll into that hitch and usually damaged their license plate or bumper. Yes…thank you Bill Williams Welding Shop.

This welding shop is still around, today, on the southern portion of Santa Fe Avenue.
    upload_2018-2-24_3-34-55.png
    You can't miss the place, with its "little sign" on the Santa Fe Avenue frontage. The signage is approved by the city. After all, it is an industrial area, about a block or two from homes and apartments.
    upload_2018-2-24_3-38-24.png
    Check out the cool, old, black truck in the lot.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  27. He married our "trans girl", and now has 3 screaming torque converters.

driverquality and pat59 like this.
  28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We've got one of the larger-than-life "Muffler Man" (Paul Bunyon, Cowboy, etc) on a muffler shop in downtown Everett, Wa. It's listed on that directory posted earlier. Then there's the rooftop Elephant on Aurora Ave in Seattle, and the Hat -N-Boots in South West Seattle. Various, shop made, actual Muffler Man made from parts. Course I can't post photos; someone will. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. Mark T

Mark T

South Jersey;

[​IMG]