Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Your Most Memorable Hot Rod Event

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 31, 2017.

1. I haven't seen much to judge but, The first Race Of Gentlemen in Wildwood was one of the coolest things I ever saw. The next was the Jalopy Showdown, Never have I seen so many cool cars in one location. And racing on the track too. Great event. Gotta get to Bonneville. :)

lothiandon1940, Elrod and mad mikey like this.
  2. lowrd

lowrd

The most memorable took place in 1959 at Sick's Seattle Stadium. Don't remember the cars as much as going with my father. Great recollections, thanks. TROG West is second.

Elrod likes this.
  3. rfraze

rfraze

I had the distinct pleasure of drinking several beers with Bill Burnham at the host hotel during his last Goodguys Pleasanton show. Did not know him very well before, but we had a frickin blast with stories, jokes, and laughs.

Ron Funkhouser and Spoggie like this.
  4. Nats North 2005 was the first show I drove my car to- had been working on it for 7 years and thrashed like a mofo to be able to attend that show-due to last minute problems got there later than expected - I came out from breakfast on Saturday morning and Barry Lobeck was laying under my car checking it out- he asked me to show him my car which I did and he asked if I would sell it- I declined and asked him to ask me that question when I finished it( it didn't have paint or interior at the time ) he asked my plans for it and I told him and he said he looked forward to seeing it completed- 10 years later in 2015 I drove it back to the same show with fresh paint and interior. I received a Street Rodder magazine Top 100 selection and the Street Scene award. Still think Barry had a hand with that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Mtn Goat likes this.
  5. John Starr

John Starr

After moving to Naples Florida in the 1970's I was introduced to the loud, insane, bizarre, historic exclusive Naples event known as the Swamp Buggy Races.

It might not sound like a hot rod event. But if you've ever watched the Chesser brothers Lonnie and Leonard blaze through the water, neck-and-neck in their ear-shattering, pro modified V-8 buggies "Dat's Da One" and "Outlaw" back in the day... you would agree you you just saw a hot rod event.

More than anything, the influence of those early swamp buggy races got me into hot rodding. ChesserDatsDaOne1.jpg
    Leonard Chesser seen here in 2011

Spoggie likes this.
  6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with you about TROG in Pismo Beach. We drove our Deuce roadster to the meet and met some really neat guys while there. One was Cyclone Kevin Preciado from Temple City and paintslinger805, Bruce Omahundro from Nipomo. Both are old-style builders. Kevin is recreating the Clem Waske '29 roadster of El Mirage fame while Bruce is honoring his Grandpaw with a Deuce roadster resembling Grandpaw's racer named Hypersonic, also campaigned in the late '40's. Car guys through and through. Had more fun in one day at Pismo Beach than any other time.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  7. My 3 best so far,Austins Lone Star roundup in 2013,England's Hotrod Hayride and the A Bombers old style Weekend in Sweden in 2014.
    Seeing as Drag events have been mentioned,being lucky enough to of been part of a Kiwi drag team at the 2013 March meet was something I will never forget!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    40two and Spoggie like this.
  8. Hotrodprimer, Love that old 8mm film!! Did not notice ONE Street Rod with a primer paint job. All the owners seemed to build their cars to the best of their budget and ability. Chrome was still king!! Love love that American Flag T-Bucket and Corvette Stingray.
    Keep in mind, at age 12 (circa 1975?) I was hanging out at my neighbor's garage helping build a '34 Ford truck and a '36 Ford Coupe...both painted flat black.
    My Brother (MrTomatoHead) took me to the 1976 Street Machine Nats, in Columbus Ohio. Need to share some pictures. Fond memories!!!
    JT

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. 41woodie

41woodie

48 Stude, I kept staring at your photograph of the Great Louisville Flood, thinking it sure looked familiar...Went through the photos I took there and found this, mirror image of your shot IMG_0007.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Gary,
    You are so right as TROG West is one that will be at the top of my list for some time. Meeting up with you Kevin & Bruce put it over the top. Those two guys are the best and made this old Midwest hot rodder feel right at home. Second will have to be all my trips to speed week at Bonneville.

Elrod likes this.
  11. das858

das858

For me, my first trip to the drags in August of 1969 to see front engine top fuelers including Don Garlits with my Dad was pretty hard to top. Set me on a drag racing, car loving path from that point forward.

12. 48stude

48stude

I actually found that on the internet. I think it's magazine shot. I have a some vhs film of the flood , but I don't know how to convert it to something that could be uploaded to youtube. Bill

13. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Danny, I was looking for Charlie Holsclaw's apron in your video but you didn't have any night footage.

47ragtop likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My very first trip to the drag strip in 1969; Puyallup Dragway, where Jerry Ruth almost ran me over in the pits driving his Ford pickup truck tow rig way to fast. Have't liked that guy since. My Father would never "let" me go to the drags; it was either hunting, fishing, or camping as far as he was concerned, or it was nothing else. I was also the middle child of five, and the Middle Child Syndrome fits! In 1982 my Mother insisted they both go to Bremerton Raceway to watch me race with my little FED. He passed from lung cancer (smoker) within a year. I only made it to quarter finals, but I may as well set a record in Top Fuel as far as I was concerned; my Father and I never saw eye to eye, and that puts it mildly, but he finally saw me doing what I loved to do. I always thought parents should stand behind whatever their child wants to do. When my own daughter was 4, I took her to Bremerton Raceway with thoughts of a Junior Dragster in my head. She had enough after about ten minutes, so we left. I went to as many of her competitive gymnastics meets as I could over 10 years and an untold amount of $$$; many of the out of state events I had to work, or be on-call, so those I missed. Now, she's almost 25, and 300 miles away, and I still tell her, "anything you want or need, all you have to do is ask", and Daddy will make it happen. I had to give up racing when she came along, but still kept myself busy with classic Chevrolet's. And now she wants my 56 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. Lots of other little events regarding cars and racing, but only a few REALLY stand out. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Spoggie likes this.
  15. Alky Frankie

Alky Frankie

Nostalgic race in temple.making it to the finals in my class!![​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  16. Have had several memorable events but my 2016 trip around the world to attend the opening weekend of Bonneville Speed Week has to be at the top.:cool::cool: JW
    [​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  17. Really good thread, thanks everyone..

Lake Gairdner '14 was good. Mildura '81 & 3 were good. This weekend just gone, I won a VIP double to the ANDRA Summit finals. Got to stand with a pal on the moonlit startline with Vlad Ostaskevich & met Santo Rapisarda. Had his two T/F dragsters thunder past me on the start line. Top Fuel sandwich.
    That was pretty good.

I'm the strange dude in the big hat & pale coat -1:32:00 - -1:42.00;
    http://motorsportstv.com.au/?p=3885

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

After watching the Hot Rod Hillclimb in Colorado for two years I was finally able to participate last year. It was a hard 3 month thrash to get my car on the road but it was all worth it to be able to make several runs up the hill. One of the best parts was how excited @MrsBinger was. The hillclimb and the TROGs are much better IMO because you actually get to see the cars run and drive. Sitting in a parking lot all day is not very exciting after you see all the cars. I like to call it a "Living event." Many of the vintage drag meets would be awesome to see also. One of these years I would like to make the HAMB Drags.
    I grew up with AACA and have attended many judging meets and several tours. Although it is OT the Reliability tour in Chattanooga in 2008 was at the top of the list. It was hosted my Harold and Corky Coker. Being on tour with over 150 pre 1915 cars was awesome. Going to Coker and having dinner in the huge museum room and the wall of motorcycles was awesome. The one day we went to Harold's farm and saw his Thomas collection. Walking in and seeing a Thomas for every year was amazing. I also stopped in Honest Charlie's and picked up a drop axle for my coupe. Another 'Living Event.'

First run.jpg Waiting in line.jpg 1.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
  19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Mine has to be the Road Agent's Rumble in Hartford, CT, probably 2003 was my first year. That was an incredible show, and was ahead of the curve for traditional rods and customs. The people that were there were real die-hards, no hipsters or johnny-come-lately types. Great show with great cars and music, followed by absolute mayhem in the hotel parking lot until the wee hours of the morning. Will likely never be replicated.

20. Early Irons, Orlando, Easter Run at Loch Haven Park
    Old Gatlinburg
    Memphis Nats
    First HHR Bowling Green

21. Mine is probably the Westminster, MD Jalopyrama Reunion in 2015 when a I was invited to have my car displayed for the indoor part of the show. I helped have a couple friends and their cars invited too. Friday was setup day and then a pre-party at the Greene Turtle that evening. Saturday was the show.

J_15_Screen_shot_1.jpg

lothiandon1940 and hrm2k like this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Yuma Prison Run for me , great time no rain to worry about !

23. 47ragtop

47ragtop

x2

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. I have to agree with a couple of you old timers. Memphis Nats '71 and Gatlinburg (Gillette Motel) starting about '72.

47ragtop likes this.
  25. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

1961 Alton, Illinois, weekend after the Greek ran his 204. Bought the t shirt and wore that thing out. Loved front engine diggers till they went away. Next was 74 " unrun" nats at knottsbery farm. First time to see California hot rods in person. Used to like to make the trip up to York , pa for nsra show. Was at Louisville in 92 as a spectator. Terrible thing to see all those rods with water over hood. My first trip to Pleasanton in 95 was very memorable for the amount of top notch cars on display and last I've been to Louisville for every year it's been there except one. It's been a long run and I still need to get to march meet at Bakersfield and visit bonneville

26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

1979. Father took me to Blue Mountain Drag strip. Saw a 1953 Studibacker pickup take on a 67 or 8 camaro for the pro money. Pick up nipped him in the lights. Was hooked for ever. Fast forward. After being backwards for many years I got on a altered/ front engine rail kick. Micky Miller built me a fresh / new old style fed. Built a blown six and headed to the Bowling Green Reunion in 2005. Never figured we would win class. We went to Gassers when we sold the jr fueler /Donovan powered car. Here we are at the Beech.

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat likes this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I am really biased....Been to a ton of shows 007-2015-jalopy-jamb-up-canada.jpg 9f25d4903607fbbb34747f3b3f4c81c7.jpg ..I like ours best.. it's all about making good memories,hanging with pals and meeting new ones...very lo key and small... not any carnival...I love it and..I am biased.... hahaha

28. putnams yard 11-5-16 145.jpg ...a couple "events" we went to last Fall,...visiting Gus Miller's yard and Putnam's yard...
    gus millers yard 10-3-16 002.jpg gus millers yard 10-3-16 037.jpg gus millers yard 10-3-16 016.jpg putnams yard 11-5-16 015.jpg putnams yard 11-5-16 020.jpg

29. williebill

williebill

Gatlinburg in the 70s. I worked up there in 70,71,and 73, and went back for the rod run the years I lived somewhere else. Where else could you see a town full of cool cars, and the end of civilization all in the same weekend?
    Flew out to the first Merc Deuce Reunion. First time on a plane, and thanks to a mixup, I had to give up my hotel room the 2nd night, ended up crashing with some guys from Iowa, slept on their floor. Don't remember any names, but one of the guys had a yellow 32, was there with his twin brother, and, I think, ran the Iowa state credit union for phone company employees?
    Cool folks, made this young hillbilly feel at home. One of these days, I'll learn how to scan my pics.
    The KKOA shows in Iowa, Ohio, Missouri, Tennessee,Kentucky, etc. All of them were great.

enloe likes this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-4-8_5-51-10.png upload_2017-4-8_5-50-51.png
    Hello,

It wasn’t one big event, but a succession of events during that year I was just getting started shooting photographs for my collection and a possible photo business.
    The events were: The Early Times Breakfasts, The LA Roadster Club’s Father’s Day,Picnic/Show, and the Prowlers Annual Picnic in San Diego.

Early Times: Larry Wood, Sheldon Bardin, Steven Pennington, etc.
    LA Roadster Father’s Day Show: Jack Stewart, Greg Sharp, etc.
    San Diego Prowlers: Lee Bright, Fred Castro, Bruno Cirello, etc.

As a twenty something that had some history in hot rods, I appreciated that these guys were so open and willing to share their ideas and rides with me. They also gave me valuable information for my own hot rod knowledge and future builds. I am not sure why the late, Jack Stewart took a liking to me, (nice guy? Ha…) But out of all of those LA Roadster guys, (there were a lot of them) he took me all over the place to meet and talk with his friends. That was really something. Still, being an outsider w/o a roadster (40 Ford Sedan Delivery) kept me on the outside, just absorbing all of the cool, “Hot Rod” talk.

At the Early Times Breakfasts, not only was it fabulous food, but again, Sheldon Bardin took me under his wing. After he showed me his fabulous "T," we went all over talking to others with very cool cars and hot rod history. I met a lot of people with a lot of interesting builds and knowledge.

Finally, at the San Diego Prowlers Picnic near a lake, the setting was the same. Families all open to sitting around talking about hot rods and racing. To me, that was very cool and (still being an outsider, not in the club,) was one of the reasons this club has always been one of those that stuck in the back of my brain, all this time. The name “Prowlers” just seemed correct as those cars were low slung, menacing looking and outstanding representation of the term, Hot Rod.

Jnaki

These were not those big, 1000 car, national events, but local So Cal events that were at the roots of the Hot Rod culture and family life. Those friendships, memories, and lessons will forever stay with me. I have always been proud to be part of the So Cal Hot Rod culture. The small, friendly, Father’s Day LARS has turned into a giant show with national significance, but for some that is their cup of tea.

But, those were the places that I could see/hear the cars that were shown in all of the hot rod car magazines come to life, up close and personal. That was very cool.