Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Your local "favorite" or "best" custom BUILT IN the 50's or 60's

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Curt R, Nov 23, 2013.

1. all the "favorite" or "best" custom threads usually end up showing the same cars, that have been well covered in magazines for years, regardless of east, midwest or west builds. Let's see some pics of cars built in your local area or state during the 50's or 60's. From mild to wild. Let's see cars that didn't get pages of national coverage or show up on every "custom car" thread on the net.

Dig deep and let's see those pictures of your "favorite" or "best' custom car BUILT IN the 50's or 60's, from YOUR AREA OR STATE.

Pictures with background info or past/current history info are enjoyable to read.
    "Expert" opinions criticizing the choice of cars, modifications etc. not so much.

Thanks. Curt R

one of my favorites to start, chopped 57 Chev, owner/builder Don Gadosz of Don Jean's Auto Trim, Milwaukee, Wi. Picture is early to mid 60's. By late 60's, the car was radically customized and still lives in Colorado, I think. Hope, the current owner might jump in with the radical custom pics.

Attached Files:

T-roaster and Centurion9 like this.
  2. Somebody

Somebody

Love that 57, and this MoPar, note the number of doors.

Attached Files:

don colaps and droppedstepside like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm just "marking my turf" so I can find this easily in the morning.

4. Always loved this one. It is still around locally, except it's been updated (aborted).-MIKE:(

[​IMG]

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Been looking for an excuse to post this. Jack Williams Cad powered(with a twist) '49 ford.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So a photo of a '49 ford with a cad v-12 stuffed in it gets crickets?? SERIOUSLY?? is this thing on? Am I on the right forum??

7. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

You mean crickets in the front grill?

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, I know, hell, it doesnt even have bellflower tips...:rolleyes:

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I took the OP title as one's personal favorite, it does have a chopped top..Here is my favorite; still like to find it...From CT, late 50's Pontiac engine..If someone can make the pic show up here [or tell me how] I would appreciate it..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

12. This is pretty awesome! I like the fire extinguisher on the inner-fenderwell! Did the car ever run a hood (I'd understand if he didn't want to hide that mill!)?

This is gonna be an interesting thread - thanks Curt.

-Dave

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'd have to say that my favorite PNW custom is the 56 Buick that was sectioned in the early 60's. Lost it's top in the late 60's early 70's to a botched bubble top converson and then got restored to it's previous glory by Paul Harper.
    [​IMG]

I took this photo at the Run to Roslyn just after Paul had had it painted and while Bob Jasper (crouched down beside the car) was looking it over to decide what he could do to turn out one of his spectacular interiors in it.

I first saw the car when I was about 13 years old at a Seattle Car show when it wasn't sectioned and then a year or two later after it had been sectioned. Then years later I walked into Paul's shop and there it sat minus the top not long after he bought it.

I saw a lot of the famous customs out of the late 50's and early 60's at shows with my dad on dad and kid weekends including Madam FiFi, My Blue Heaven, and a number of others.

T.T., T-roaster and falcongeorge like this.
  14. rick finch

rick finch

Saw "My Blue Heaven" in the early 60's either at the Seattle or Portland Roadster Show while growing up in the Puget Sound area...imagine my surprise to see again at Paso Robles in the late 90's! (it's an aquired taste, for sure);)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think this is my favorite custom car of all time. It is just outstanding.

Unfortunately I can't think of any Texas customs from the '50s-60s that I love. I'll have to think about it.

[​IMG]

T-roaster likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guy looks like Nixon.

17. rick finch

rick finch

Hey George, is that the same Jack Williams that ran a Top Fuel car out of B.C.?

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes it is. I am going to talk to Hemi Deuce later, and try to find out the present status of the Ford. And Rick, that blue Fords a yacht...;):D

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Owned by a member of the Los Cochino's. It's even better in person!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

droppedstepside and T-roaster like this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I agree, stunning car. Not really as local to me as Jacks Ford.

21. For all the Kustom work done around Detroit during that time period very little has survived....but I'll pick Dave Jenkins 57 Chevy..customized by the A Bros as a brand new car, painted by local " crazy painter " Paul Hattton, original made in Inkster, Mi Jimmy Jones skirts...it don't get finer !

22. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Your Point Is ?????? I don't get it ?????

23. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....I think he means 'silence'...

24. And how many Bertha's have you seen who look like that??

25. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Thanks to those that posted pictures and comments.

Not wanting to lose focus, post pics of your favorite LOCAL (city or state) custom car BUILT IN THE 50'S OR 60'S, not built currently in the STYLE of the 50's and 60's. I know most of us had more than one favorite, "back in the day".

Those custom cars that were built by the guy down the street, in the next town or city, didn't get much recognition. If, it's that worn out old album pic or the occasional picture that showed up in some magazine, let's see it. Name, date whatever you got, give us a few words or not.

During the 50's, in my area there were more custom cars on the street than, hot rods. Yes, it would be great to go back to that era with a camera.

Per the local rules, cars in this thread must be 1965 and earlier model years.

Anybody that, has more info, stories, etc. about any of the cars, jump in.

Curt R

My favorite for today,

1959 Impala, built in 1960 in the Milwaukee, Wi suburb of Cudahy, Wi by Cudahy Auto Body. The shop did all the body work and the candy red paint. To my knowledge, this is the only full custom car built by Cudahy Auto Body. Interior by Kasper Auto Trim.The 59 was owned by Joe Roth and street driven for one summer. Fall and winter, indoor car show time. Next summer more detailing, fall and winter back to the indoor shows. The 59 dropped from sight and the next 50 years is a story still unfolding. The car is alive and well in Milwaukee, Wis., possibly for sale.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  26. Only because I don't have photos of my Fave, (The Seemingly gone forever Kandyapple Kart '55 Ford Tudor) and have to repost the pics of the "Sunsation" '41 Mercury, here is the third one.....Built around 1960, two tone Purple and Lavender and I got to see it nearly everyday on my way to and from school...I believe it was built by Frank Chevonek and owned by Gil Latus.....Centurion9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    droppedstepside likes this.
  27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

built right here in Jefferson, WI in the late 50's and toured the show circuit for three or four years. Still owned by its builder, Deaner Probst.

I am not a fan of Deaner, but I like the car

Know as Lil' Dough

T-roaster and falcongeorge like this.
  28. This is my second favorite local car, The "Sunsation" '41 Merc built by Ken Adamec of South Milwaukee....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]........

And two versions of Bill Blocks "Brandy's Chariot" from Kenosha........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curt......The Pearl White '37 Ford behind Dons '57 Chevy was also in my Top Five, but no one has been able to provide photos of it either before or after Kasper has the Purple lace sprayed over it......"Kaspers Ghost"......All great cars.....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    droppedstepside and T-roaster like this.
  29. Truth be told.....and I believe you are connected to this car.....the first car I fell in love with was the Orange Scalloped over White '56 Lincoln that I saw at my first State Fair Park outdoor show in about 1961. I never saw it again apart from glimpes of other Car Show scenes in the magazines.....Truly a Show stopper for me....:) Centurion9

30. Rikster

Rikster

From the Bob Dzemske Collection. The Lincoln was Bob's fathers car. The 1956 Lincoln had body work and paint done by Dave Puhl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    droppedstepside and Centurion9 like this.