Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your definition of the word "HotRod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Split Bones, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Split Bones

Split Bones

Ok Guy's & Gals....I dont post much (Im just taking in the awesome knowledge that is here) and im from another country (New Zealand)
    we have a forum there and this topic has been a heated debate...ie:...pre '48....pre '34...American bodies only...my stance on it all is that we are all entitled to our opinions....but i would like to throw this over to the guru's on this forum ....as most of you are from the land where it all began ...and some of you were around at the time .....so to get it from the horses mouth so to speak:) I know the topic is vast but ....whats your view?

2. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Phew...can of worms officially opened, I think.

3. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

The term Hot Rod has become so generalized it's pathetic. People use it to describe just about anything that has been modified.
    To me a hot rod does and always will refer to an era more than a certain type of car.
    To me the golden era of hot rodding was post WW II till the muscle car killed it around mid sixties.
    Hot roddin goes back further but was called by a different name.
    A hot rod then was called a hop up, gow job, jalopy, etc.
    Later
    Count

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

This is a HOT ROD !!!!

Attached Files:

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Different strokes for different folks......because for me ( I am almost 60 ) ....Hot Rod is " just about anything that has been modified "

Look at the magazine of the same name.....it has changed over it's 50 plus year run. It has went from Model A/ Deuce hot Rods to Muscle Cars, Stock Car racers, Vans with funky paint :confused: to Camaros and Mustangs, Turbo' GN Buicks and now is working it's way back towards some of the older stuff.

Not everyone wants OR can afford a Hiboy Roadster or a Z28.....so that modify what they can. I had a few VW's back in the 60's. Had EMPI parts on them, dual 32 Zenith carbs and 5 spoke EMPI wheels. Was it Fast ? Not by todays standards but it was FAST for a VW :D In my mind...it was a HotRod...

Now I have older cars ( 32's ) ...but I have rodded 55 Chevys, 56 F100's, real 69 Z28's, real 70 Chevelle LS-6 454 450 4 spped cars, 72 Trans Ams...the list goes on ... :)

Hot Rod is a state of mind......

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Easy....no frills, bare bones, lightweight, fast.

7. Not a tuner?

I think we can rule out the American bodies only, Austin Bantums and english Anglias probably count.

I have a friend in SoCal that says its the hole top eliminator, fastest car in the valley thing.

I personally think that a hot rod should scare you everytime you mash the loud peddle. But it has got to go way deeper than that.

I had an older friend come by and borrow our merc for the weekend when the wife and I were still in highschool (yea we been married that long, my gawd:eek: ). He was takeing his family to the coast for the weekend and wanted to cruise and not be cramped.

Anyway, he left us his flatty powered deuce coupe. You know just you basic out of style (at the time) Skinny tired chopped 3 window, 3 speed top loader etc.
    It didn't pull major Gsss when you mashed the gas, and the handling was a little dicey to say the least, but that was a HOT ROD. Pure and simple.

So there is more to it than just going fast. I don't think that there is any actual definition here.

My friend in SoCal for instance doesn't consider his old beater pickup to be a hot rod, but it has style, and style is as big a part of it as anything.

8. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

This thread could go from a can of worms to a barrel of snakes real fast.

Here's my $0.02 worth.

HOT ROD:
    Bill Neikamp's AMBR winner, the "little blue car", track-nosed '29 roadster with flathead V-8. True race car, true show winner, street driven and owner-built at home.

NOT:
    Factory-built muscle and/or performance cars. This includes cars built by others for the owners.

Please take note of the subtle differences of these definitions.

9. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

It has to be inclusive of succeeding generations to start with. Whether we agree with it or not, and I'll be 65 before the year is up.

Hot Rod = Any car modified to go faster than it came from the factory. Also it must upset parents, elders, dogs and the police.

Some of the stuff Ive seen posted on HAMB qualify for all 4 of those criteria.

Being an elder I think ricers suck but to my 18 yr old son they are cool. But since I rule the roost nothing even approaching one of them will be permitted in the driveway. A V8 powered Volvo is permitted tho.

10. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'll second that![​IMG]

11. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

That is definately a hot rod!!! And A bad ass one at that.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

That pretty much sums it up.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great question, and I'm posting my reply without reading what others have or will say. In my opinion a true Hot Rod is a 1948 or earlier body on an original or custom built chassis built in 1965 or earlier. You can build a lookalike today, and that is fine, but the original 1965 build or earlier is what the "collectors" are looking for. :D

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

:D This!! :D

Attached Files:

15. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Good answer...:) I've built primarily circle burners over the years and I considered them all hot rods. What someone else wants to call them isn't so important....it's the way I feel about 'em that counts.

Jan

16. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Oh no, not again!

17. skumbag

skumbag

i think this sums it up pretty good. everybody has their own opinoin on what a hot rod is.

matt

18. Antibilly

Antibilly

this is what I think of

Attached Files:

• hr.jpg
      hr.jpg
      File size:
      4 KB
      Views:
  19. I guess I'll never ever own a hot rod then.
    I have a complete aversion to driveing one that someone else built, and I never built my first car 'til '68.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

some joker in a souped up set of wheels tearin up the streets of an otherwise peacefull town

damn fool kids, there otta be a law

21. Split Bones

Split Bones

Thanks heaps guys and gals......you lot are the guru's that have been there and done it all......as i stated we are all entitled to our own opinions.....but one answer sat me on my arse......."HOT ROD is a state of mind"..brillant:D

22. dark....attitude.....no frills....loud....rebel....outside "boyd"...thats a hot rod to me....and this car defines it....so does Loudpedals...and a bazillion others...you know who they are!!!

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your's or my definition doesn't matter. When a real hot rod is present it will SPEAK to you. no need for you to say anything. It's a time to shut up and enjoy.

Frank

24. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

this speaks volumes...

Attached Files:

25. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

....HOTRODS are for getting away from girls & kustoms are for getting girls.......

Hot rods 30's & 40's cars that are dangerous. Are FAST. And... A real "Hotod" has SOUL!

26. Some of you are getting close......................:cool:

27. just don't even bother trying to define HOT ROD, you will upset some one what ever you say. pre 49?, pre 35?, pre 55?, pre 65?, pre 72?, flat screen, open wheeled, flat head, OHV, repro??????? and dont' start with the Glass V Steel. Don't know about you but Ir'd rather be out driving my Hot Rod.

28. If the car next to you at the light lockes the doors, you've made it.

29. DrJ

DrJ

A hotrod is a car that a hotrodder has modified the performance, (preferrably for the better,) from stock.

That also means a "factory hotrod" (stock muscle car) doesn't fit the definition, unless it has been modified, not restored to factory spec.

I laugh when people say they hotrodded and blueprinted an engine...
    If they "blueprinted" it, they restored every dimension and part to within original factory new specifications!?
    If it's hotrodded, it's not stock specs anymore!

A hotrod is modified to make it perform better, go faster, stop quicker, handle better with regard to how it is to be used (A car set up to hook up in a straight line at a drag strip isn't necessarily also setup to handle an oval track, slalom, or road course race at the same time.)
    If in making these performance modifications the visual look of the car changes, it is as a result of the quest for better performance.
    If it is modified in quest of some kind of "looks" than the definition moves off more into the "Custom Car" or "Streetrod" realm.

A Streetrod can be a hotrod that is licensed for and driven on the street, if it is built with "hotrod performance" as the primary goal.

A hotrod IS also a Streetrod if it is, and simply because it is licensed and driven on the street.

A Custom Car is all about style.
    The drive train and performance can be stock or even less agile than stock and that in itself is secondary to looks!

A Custom Rod,,,, reference Ala Kart, Emperor, Mark Mist, Outlaw, Etc.

Notice I didn't include any year cutoffs....
    They only make even partial sense when referencing FORDs, and even then not very much.

30. DrJ

DrJ

especially if they also roll up the windows, white knuckle the steering wheel and refuse eye contact.. :cool: