Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods YOUR CHANCE TO HELP A KID BUILD A TRUCK!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead 37, Jan 15, 2015.

1. flathead 37

flathead 37

So, as many of you know I am building a 1937 ford half ton. I got a couple questions.
    1. Are there supposed to be mounts holding the center section of the hood on?
    here is a pic of the front and rear portion of the hood WIN_20150115_193822.JPG WIN_20150115_193842.JPG

2. I don't know how to mount my dash. there are little holes that a number ten machine screw fit in on the to and bottom of this little dash piece that sits above the rest of the dash. are there supposed to be rivets or what? WIN_20150115_193920.JPG WIN_20150115_193928.JPG

3. where do I find traditional cloth wire?

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

question 1 yes there is small mounting bracket for hood. 2 don't know. 3 not a fan of cloth wire and unless your going for a concurs restoration why bother. I do believe there are some companys that do still make them and surly someone here or on fordbarn will know.

3. 3. Rhode Island Wire, www.riwire.com has cloth wire. It's modern stuff underneath the wrapping, so best of both worlds!

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob Drake will have the hood hinge parts you need, they are not super expensive. There is a flange on the windshield side of the dash that will slip over the windshield pinch weld. Once you slip the flange over the outside, you can install 10-32 screws in the holes.

Don't do cloth covered wire unless you are super picky about a period correct build. If you are a younger fella who just wants a cool hotrod to drive, regular normal parts store wire and crimp terminals will do fine. There are other places to spend money that will be more bang for the buck.

Got any pics of your truck?

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

Holler if you need anything, -Abone.

5. flathead 37

flathead 37

thanks for the advise. I was also wondering, are the front fenders held on by two brackets or just the front one that holds the headlight? I have the front mounts but it looks like there is a place to mount a smaller one towards the rear of the fender. and here is a pic of the truck WIN_20150115_193631.JPG

6. flathead 37

flathead 37

got a few more questions here.
    1. there is a hole at the bottom of the headlights. I assume it is for the wires to exit, but I cant seem to find any place for them to back under the fender. where do they go from there?
    2. does anything sit between the frame and the radiator, or is it directly bolted. the reason I am asking this is because the holes that mount the fender to the grill are WAY off on both sides. so if the grill sat about another 2 inches higher they would align. might just need some massaging.

Attached Files:

7. fat141

fat141

Congratulations for having a go mate. Next time there is a car show around, get there with your camera and take photos of every square inch of on of these trucks. Upside down, inside out, wherever you can get a picture.
    Swap meets or ebay or even Google may turn up an old manual about your truck. This way you have a chance to find out how/where the stock bits go and then ya can modify if you need to. One step at a time, but keep the dream in your head going. Sorry I can't help with pics for you, cause my truck is 41 Chevy
    Cheers
    Rod

8. Mac's sells the hood hinge bracket,they are the same front and rear. HRP

[​IMG]

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

ford used springs under the radiator mounts. I just used some some rubber pads like u could cut from the sidewall of an old tire. the roads were much rougher when these were built .

10. flathead 37

flathead 37

so I needed some windshield hinges and couldn't find any online anywhere, so I stopped at the local junk yard in French lake. now this is a top notch junk yard. if anyone is in the area I would highly recommend stopping by. they have hundreds of 30's 40's 50's and 60's cars. I managed to rob some hinges off of an old 1938 ford pickup.