Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Youngsters first hot Rod build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Axel de Groot, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Big update!
    Long time since i last posted something here.
    The car is more or less done, its down to Only some wiring left

After the body was back on i could start to make some serious progress.
    I have built a floor of some simple plywood,wich will have a rubber mat and some fabric/clothing later on.

I welded the tardel flange to the f-1 box and mounted it. Also Made a Simple reinforcment to the outside of the frame to stiff it up a bit. I had some troubles getting the f-1 steering wheel of, it ended up being completly thrashed.
    So as i had to get a new steering wheel, i had a friend Made a bit steering shaft for me, instead of the splined steering shaft that is originally on the f1 shaft he Made me the earlier type wich uses a woodruff pin (i think its called woodruff?!) so that the earlier wheels fit. I was looking for a 37-39 banjo but couldnt any, so it ended up being a Ford 40 wheel!
    I heated and bent a 37 pitman arm to clear the wishbone, and Made a drag link out of and old pipe and two tie-rods i had laying around. Also heated and bent the steering arm on the spindle so that the drag link is a bit more paralell to the wishbone!
    I used the original model a column support, atleast the upper half, then i took the f1 column support, bent it and bolted to the stock A half of the support (No picture, sorry)

I have no pictures of it, but i Made a simple bracket to hold two extra gauges, water temp and oil pressure, the extra gauges is placed under the original instrument panel.

Also mounted the parking brake on a simple angle iron using three bolts on the transmission cover, there is a rod going from the parking lever through a hole in the k-member back to the wire.

Now to the sad part, i was about to take the Very first test run around the block last weekend, i had the engine running before i lifted the body back on. it ran great, besides from the idle being a bit to high.
    When i fired her up in the garage last weekend, ready for the first run, she didnt run on all cylinders, No spark on four cylinders. I tried new spark plugs, new spark wires, new coil. Had the distributor apart and it seems like it is shorted or something. Instead of trying to fix my old worn out dizzy i Ordered a new stromberg e-fire, it will arrive early this week, so hopefully my first test drive can be next weekend
    With the stromberg e-fire i dont have to think about points, condensor, and vacuum. So more or less trouble free (i hope)

More pictures to Come!

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71, brEad, benke and 2 others like this.
  2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

4. j hansen

j hansen

I think Don posted in the wrong thread:D

kidcampbell71 and winduptoy like this.
  5. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Yeah i think so to!

kidcampbell71 and winduptoy like this.
  6. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Yeeehaaaw!! First test run completed

Mounted the e-fire dizzy and fired her up! Adjusted the timing a bit.

First time the old girl moves under its own power. Cool feeling
    Brakes has to be bleed ones again and adjusted cause i had like zero brakes. Also my f-1 box is most likely in need of rebuild because it is a bit ”all over the road”. I have quite a bit free play in it. I will try to adjust it and maybe take some shims out of it, but i doubt it well help. What can you expect for a steering box Made 49 wich i done nothing with except lube it? i wont do any rebuild of the box until winter, just going to fix the brakes and drive it for the rest of the season!

I dont know if i can upload a video here, i have a small video of my first testrun, if anyone could tell me i would appreciate it!

IMG_0775.JPG

More pictures and updates will come.
    But for now, cheers buddys!

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing like the first drive with one you put together yourself!
    Congratulations on a successful voyage and many more to come. You should be proud.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Axel de Groot like this.
  8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

You can put the video on Youtube and add the link here.

Axel de Groot and winduptoy like this.
  9. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

I promised some more pictures didnt i?
    I used the ”U bent” steering arm from speedway, dropped it down a little to lign up with the drag link a bit better.

You can Also see my pedal set up, im currently working on the floor mat, wich explains why it looks so crappy in the pics haha! There will be some sort of mat or fabric on the floor, i dont want this thing to look too much ”rat Rod”, Also to give me more comfort i guess.

You can see how i used the original f-1 column support, just pie cut it and bent it to fit the original model a support on the tank. Not the nicest thing ever but it gets the job done.

Please ignore the ugly/crappy wiring, it was just to get this thing Rolling on the streets.

Also a picture where You can see my f-1 box and headers, wich is always a tricky thing with building an av8. But with millworks hot rods flathead headers for model a with f1 box, it was No issue. Plenty of room for that f1 box!!

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

Like i said, im working on small details right now. I have done some driving last weeks and it is so much fun to finally have this thing on the road!!
    Have to finish up the wiring and make it prettier. Also some interior work left to do.
    Had to change wheel cylinders since i had poor brakes.

When winter arrives i will have to do some work on my 38 tranny, since i have some funny noice in 1st gear!

More to come
    Cheers hot rodders

winduptoy, brEad, 33Doll and 3 others like this.
  10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Excellent Axel! Congratulations!!

Axel de Groot and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Great progress, thanks for sharing it!

Axel de Groot likes this.
  12. getow

getow

Just found da thread, read through the whole thing. Congrats to say da least. Awesome really to see someone so young with da desire and intrest in well, "old crappy shit" like we all like. And the capability of making it all come together in a rather short time. My hats off to ya. Keep up the good work

13. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Thank you!! Im really glad to hear someone appreciate the rather simple work i have done
    Its not the prettiest av8 ever, not to coolest or most exotic thing but i am very proud that of what i with some help from my dad have accomplished!

j hansen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Kirky

Kirky

Great work!

15. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Looks Awesome!

Axel de Groot and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Anyone following this thread that has an model a aristocrat dash panel?
    Im looking for one for my av8 so that my temp gauge and oil pressure gauge blends in a bit better.

Hit me up if any of you guys have one!

Attached Files:

5belair and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. roen132

roen132

Looks great !! Nice work

18. 5belair

5belair

Sweet looking project!

19. Olskool13

Olskool13
    from Queens NY

20. 5belair

5belair

I would love to find an Aristocrat dash panel too. I’ll see them every once in a while but they’re getting harder to find. Especially if you’re particular on the speedo (round or oval). Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Holtet

Holtet

22. dmar836

dmar836

Any updates? Hope all is going well.