Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Young hot rodder needing advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Caddyboss56, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Hello, I have a couple questions about putting a four link on my 56 cadillac. I've never put a four link on this kind of car before so I'm just trying to get some friendly advice and tips. Keep in mind I'm only 19 so please don't think I'm a complete idiot lol I'm young so I'm still learning. I personally can't find any kits for a 56 so if anybody knows of one, could you please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't have all the money in the world but enough to do what I want, so the cheaper the better. I have an older buddy that has bagged many cars, and he is going to help me do my front. He knows how to do the 4 link, but he's old and flimsy and doesn't feel like dealing with the pinion angle (he's late 20s) lol I personally want to at least try to do it on my own. He keeps telling me its a lot of work, to just have somebody else do it. But I'm your typical young bullheaded male and what's the fun in having somebody else work on my car? I get more satisfaction out of doing things on my own. I appreciate it a lot more. I may not know what the hell I'm doing exactly lol but hey, at least I'm wanting to learn! Someday I want to own my own shop, and I want to be able to do everything to my cars on my own. So yeah, I want to learn how to put a 4 link on my own car. Bolting everything up is the easy part, but I need the brackets and trailing arms. My car has the stock leafs in the back and coils in the front. If anybody has a bagged 56, or knows of any kits for one, or if anybody has ever bagged one or knows how too, could you please help steer me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

Victory99, chryslerfan55 and 57 Fargo like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If you don't have any experience let a good shop do it. It's an expensive lesson to learn the hard way. Everything has to be right or the car will launch, drive, handle terrible not to mention the safety factors involved.

I see about 4 cars a year with owner installed rear custom suspensions setup totally wrong, unsafe or both. The cost to fix is not cheap. Not to mention all the mII front cross members welded in wrong.

Save yourself the time effort and cost and have a pro do it.

Caddyboss56 likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Let a shop do it. The graveyards full of "bull headed males".

Caddyboss56 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  4. Trying to figure it out as you go is a surefire way to hang that car up for a long time, if not until to the day you give up and sell it. If you're not familiar with setting up a chassis, find someone that can that isn't a flake. If your buddy is put off by setting a pinion angle, that's not someone I'd be listening to in the first place because it's not that big of a deal for an experienced person to handle, like at all. I'd just throw some blocks on the rear and lowering coils on the front and be done with it, air suspension is nice and all but not a job for someone with no experience to just jump in. On top of that, those installations require a shit ton of engineering and fabrication, very few bolt in deals exist.

Caddyboss56 likes this.

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

What's your budget would be my first question.

2) Can you weld?

Caddyboss56 and 53vicky like this.
  6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Never understood why you need a 4-link? Why not just remove all leafs from the spring pack except the main leaf that locates the rearend? Then, mount the airbags and go. Never having done bags, I'm just wondering out loud.

Caddyboss56 likes this.
  7. Those cars sit low stock. Do what @paul55 says. Save your money for condoms.

8. I'm not particularly into '56 Caddys or air-ride, but I like your enthusiasm! ;) Just roll up your sleeves and go for it. You will learn as you go just like the rest of us did when we were young! :D

WTF really, Caddyboss56 and Spoggie like this.
  9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm not sure you'll find a cad specific kit out there although you can probably find a "universal" kit you can make work. for a newb to the hobby and a 19 y/o i'd look at a static drop using lowering blocks on the rear as a start. as your skills improve then you can tackle the more complicated suspension swaps--it's going to be lots of work.

Caddyboss56 and Spoggie like this.
  10. I like your thinking, but those cars have a lot of torque and a super low first gear.
    He'll need something like an old Traction Master bar to keep the front of the spring from wrapping up, at a minimum.

Caddyboss56 and Spoggie like this.
  11. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

... and save your time for dating girls.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Why complicate your life and spend so much to completely change the suspension? Springs with lower arch, simple bracketry to move the spring mounts if you need more. Allows plenty of spring strength, and if you go crazy on the engine maybe something like traction masters. Dropped spindles up front. Streetrodder magazine has been busy for decades trying to sell the idea that an old car is unusable unless everything but the shell is swapped for brand-new Chinese parts from their advertisers...ain't so nohow. You have basically a strongly built suspension system the is still within the general idea of modern usage...just overhaul all the points of movement and move the mounts up on the springs.

F-ONE, Caddyboss56 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. If you dont have experience welding, def let a shop do it. It will be costly but in the long run it is a much better decision. If one of those welds breaks and sends the car on its own path going down the freeway or something, you easily could be killed. For the sake of safety, let a pro do it. BUT, if you really want to learn HOW to weld, watch some youtube videos and practice welding different pieces of metal together until you are doing a job you are proud of and confident in.

Now, if you already know how to weld, check out Gambino customs, they sell different kinds of notch kits and whatnot, and you are going to want to get an e-level kit from accuair. Otherwise, watch a some youtube vids so you have some video photage to show you what to do...

Caddyboss56 likes this.
  14. cretin

cretin

Start by telling us what skills you have. If you have some ability, and drive, you can do it no problem. With some research, you can set it up properly. That's how I did my first suspension.
    However, if we have no idea what your skill set is, then we can't properly advise you.

No offense to your friend, but if he's only in his late 20's and he's to lazy to do something basic and simple properly, like set pinion angle, I wouldn't trust him to not take short cuts in possibly important areas.

Caddyboss56 likes this.
  15. I have nothing to contribute specifically to your Caddy, or a 4 link, but I will offer this.
    I'm 29 now. Started monkeying around with old cars at 16. There is a lot you can learn to do as you go, and some stuff that is better to have someone with experience handle. Not saying that you won't or can't learn from the future, but I can tell you how much it sucks to start on a project in April, bust ass until July, be chasing problems all August and September, and only get it sorted out in time to put away in November. Given that you're from Ohio, your weather is similar enough to understand.
    There are things that I farmed out (paid a professional) to do in my early and mid twenties that I can do now. Do I regret it? No, it got me on the road, or closer to my goal, without a lot of downtime on my end. Will I handle those things in the future myself? You bet.

You may find on here that there is a simpler way to achieve your goal, then the way you're setting about. Seems like you want to put bags on and lower the car. If the goal is a static drop, then why not go with shorter coils and lowering blocks. You'll only be down for a day or so, and you'll have the look that much sooner. You can always drive it lowered and bag it later when your skills/knowledge/time allow for it.

16. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Lol you're right

17. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

I have about 1500 to play with. And yes I can weld. Mig\tig\and stick

18. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Lmao alright

19. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Thank ya! That's what I'm saying! I have to learn somehow and what better way then practicing on my own car. If I screw it up oh well. Its a learning experience for me. Never going to learn how to do something unless you try

Montana1 and Victory99 like this.
  20. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Yeah I'm going to just get a universal kit and fab it to make it work. It'll be cool when its done!

21. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Who dates these days?? I'm more of a hit it and quit it kindof guy...totally joking lol

WTF really and Steffen Jobst like this.
  22. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

Alright cool! Thanks so much! Yeah my daddy and grandpa has had me welding ever since I was little. I believe in my welds and I know I'd do a good job on it. I'll check the videos and look up gambinos. Thanks again!

23. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

I can do just about everything there is to do to a car. I've been welding since I was little. I believe I can do this on my own with some research. I know I can. I'm just young and never have put bags on my own car yet. Especially a 56. They're different setup. They don't have any trailing arms so I have to fab up some brackets for some. I'll get it! ;)

24. cretin

cretin

Then I would definitely say go for it. You've gotta do it the first time at some point!
    Calling Gambino is a good idea, he's a great guy and very helpful.
    Research the different suspension options and figure out what can be best packaged in your car. Then research proper setup and ask more questions here.

You definitely won't be able to get a e-level kit from accuair with your budget, its pretty much your whole budget.
    But I don't think it's necessary or even worth the cost. For mine, I made a switch box with a gauge in it. Way cheaper, and I actually prefer it over the accuser. Besides, you can always add it later.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Caddyboss56 likes this.
  25. That'll be awesome. Good luck with whatever way you choose to go with it!

Caddyboss56 and clunker like this.
  26. X2

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Caddyboss56 likes this.
  27. chstitans42

chstitans42

56 Caddys ride pretty low already... You can buy drop rear springs and front springs from places like OPGI. Why change up the suspension so drastically, if all you are looking for a is a lower ride?

Caddyboss56 likes this.
  28. Caddyboss56

Caddyboss56

I've always liked a car slammed on its nuts. Idk why but it just is cool to me to be able to control a cars suspension and do what you want it to do. Leafs are too expensive new, and used ones may have some sag in them if I went that route. On top of used leafs are about the same as a new one when shipping is all said and done. To bag my car I can buy the brackets and all the stuff I need for about 600$. So why not? Lol idk everyone is different

slim38 likes this.
  29. image.jpeg That will be killer!!

30. I'm biased, but it's hard to go wrong with a '56 Caddy. You sound like you have serious skills, so I would go for the bags. I wanna see how your suspension comes out and your mods if you are going custom.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Caddyboss56 likes this.