Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Young eyes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Short Straw, May 27, 2016.

1. Short Straw

Short Straw

I'm frustrated not having the time or space to work on my Model A so my young artist friend offered to make me a drawing. Instead of having him draw my idea of my car, for grins, I told him to draw me his take on an east coast style Model A five window. Not quite what I expected and not entirely accurate, but I think it's pretty cool! What do you guys like or dislike about it? I'm trying to convince him to do more traditional hot rod stuff because I think it's nice to get fresh perspective from young people. hamb 002.JPG

2. your friend has talent

Dino64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

As a piece of art work and as a design, I really like it.

4. Lots of talent, the car has attitude!!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.

5. i'm always amazed by people who can do that.....i can barely write my own name so you can read it

falcongeorge, blowby, RICH B and 3 others like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow. Both talent and design look bitchen to me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

8. He has real talent.

9. Moondog13

Moondog13

Awesome! More west coast I'd say though.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Nice design, now build it.

Don

Dino64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That's very nice, but East coast stuff wasn't always chopped.

12. Short Straw

Short Straw

Might be because he's in California now:) He used to work for me painting exotic cars and pinstriping hot rods here on the east coast. Was a curious mix of cars and customers there for awhile, fun times.

13. brady1929

brady1929

Cool. Lots of talent there.

14. Wow! I don't know about east coast style, but I really like it. Your friend is a talented dude!

15. What's not to like about that!:D............Build that thang!

Ron Funkhouser and Dino64 like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shortstraw, its your thread so go over and post that on the Friday art show, the guys there will dig the talent.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

The front 3/4 view has all the right attitude!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree with Saxman I don't know what coast style it is or if it is a style all it's own but I sure like it.
    I think a true East Coast car in that style would have the front axle a bit further back than that.

19. indyjps

indyjps

Great drawing, the proportions are off to a model A, but if you gotta cut one all apart anyway, make it match the rendering.
    Post more if he has them available, or his website, it'd be great if he's able to get some business going.

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Good artist.
    It dose bother me too,about the styling some young guys love an a few older ones. In some cases they don't know why they like it, if asked, "O'thats just cool" or something like that,yet often I get the same thing from older guys too. Well a lot of water passed down river from when I formed up my own likes an dislikes back in the 1950s a long with my other CC members at the time,yes many now are gone RIP buddys,not sure many use the same facts for there ideas of a great driving cool hotrod. To me in the 50s it was engineering an things that worked better then it was to start with,an looked better as well { no rat crap}. So as I look at the nice art work that's done well,I also see what was seen as mistakes by those that knew things that didn't work well. Things it takes time to know are not as cool as they looked to you at first. The over chop would be #1,as being great in a cartoon or a dragrace only car,not good on the road or your human body,car too low for roads or driveways an below scrubline,Ex that burns the side of car black,headlight too low to light the road well,and that's only from a drawing that dose look cool as a drawing,but not great as a real rod if you actuly have been around hotrods long enough to know how real world works. Ya some one will say they want to put up with the mistakes for what looks cool to them,and there is part of why so many hotrods get sold an resold over an over,no one want to fix it for really good driving. The drag only or show only can fit on there trailer just find an no one has too be in it very long.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  21. Short Straw

Short Straw

I'm a dummy Bandit, where would I find the Friday Art show?
    Also, if his artwork appeals to you, I'll happily put in a plug for him. His name is Chris Dunlop and his website is pinstripechris.com.
    Dana, I'm sorta with you ,kinda Cop Shop Coupe looking , not traditional, but still I like that it's a fresh take on on things.
    Little bit of everything on the site ,not as much HAMB friendly stuff as I'd like but I'm working on him!
    Think he has a blog too. Give him a hard time, make him do more hot rods and customs!!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Dana Barlow, I like the way you handle yourself. By giving both an opinion and a compliment so eloquently.
    Your experience in that paragraph speaks volumes and at the same time you still have an open attitude and a tender touch.
    Guys take notice. This is exactly how we should all treat one another.

23. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

Either he forgot to pay Godaddy or we have the wrong web address. No website, just a Godaddy ad!

24. Short Straw

Short Straw

Sorry ,just drop the .com and type in pinstripechris. Go Daddy is being clever and trying (and succeeding ) to be first on the page.

25. Short Straw

Short Straw

26. That's perfect! Have you started yet? lol Ron... Also what's not friendly about it? I'm still learning about this friendly and not so friendly stuff.

27. Nice work,but I agree,the East Coast style was often channeled but rarely chopped. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  28. wicarnut

wicarnut

Great Kool Sketch ! Thought East Coast Hot Rods usually have fenders, full or cut down, (DOT Enforcement ?) they seem to have their own unique style for sure.

29. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I like the rendering. The profile is cool. I really like the curved/ tapered door glass. It looks like every line is massaged, and it would take a ton to start with a real car, maybe less work to build from scratch. A lot of guys won't dig it because it doesn't look like every other coupe built. I like it because it's unique but still not street rod or rat rod looking. The practicality would need to be taken into account, but there are many examples of cars that are more function following form. The trick would be to find a balance that fulfills both.