Register now to get rid of these ads!

You know you're getting old when...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2013.

1. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

A friend told me to join the gym, so I did, but I found out it just wasn't helping anything. Then I found out that I had to actually GO to the gym....

2. glrbird

glrbird

Around here it takes 6 to work under a car. 2 under it and 4 stand around till it time to help them get up!

3. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Don, I put another cap on my car and saved yours for my new project....an all steel uncut '32 5 Window I just bought partially finished....I'm getting things together to put the engine/trans in asap......that original cap you gave me is going on it................thanks again for it, Tanner 20140816_111810_resized.jpg

4. Planet Fitness.. $10 a month which can't be beat plus it gets you up and out of the house. I feel much better than I did 5 years ago, it really helps. Joint supplements, vitamins are also great. But I now have plantar fascitis... basically bad heel pain from walking around on hard surfaces with flip flops on all summer.

5. jerry

jerry

I can still do about all at 64 that I could at half the age, recovery just takes 23 times as long!

Gotta go take my pills!

jerry

6. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I make darn sure my creeper is comfortable, = nap under car!

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

What doesn't hurt doesn't work.

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

You know you're old when you wake up in the morning and everything is stiff except ........................

And anyone who tells you they can do at 65 what they did at 20 wasn't up to much at 20.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

8pm on a Saturday night and I'm fighting to stay awake. The good news I'll be up by 4am. It's good swap meet training.

10. Never waste a hard-on and never trust a fart.

11. You wake up and check the obituaries in the paper, & if you're not in there, that's another good day!

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my feeling is a nap is happy hour when you're over 40. on the topic of physical strength, when i was in my 20s, i could crawl under my ford and install the overdrive trans; now i have to use a jack to get a regular 3-speed installed!

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I've decided, after spending most of the day on the garage floor, that instead of cleaning up the mess under the car it's easier to just push the car out and sweep the tools, bolts and parts into a pile and shovel them back onto the bench.

stimpy and Turnipseed like this.
  14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I check the obituaries and if I'm not in them I have to go to work. I also note how many are older or younger than me. I used to come home from work and go to the shop for a few hours and eat supper about 9pm. Now I avoid going to my shop unless I have to work on my daily driver. I enjoy working on things and it's satisfying to get them done but getting started is the problem for me. My get up and go got up and went. I even put heat and air conditioning in so I don't have that excuse.

They recently changed vacation to paid time off at work and we have to use all but 40 hours or lose it. I have to use 9 weeks this year, 4 left over because they changed from our anniversary date to Jan1 to Jan1, so I will have time if I can find some ambition. The problem is they don't want me to take time off and were more than happy to pay me for it and seldom granted a request for vacation. Corporate doesn't like paying it out but they also don't want to hire enough help to cover time off. They're trying to hire mechanics at $12/hr which is less than what I started at 34 years ago.

15. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

You know you are old if you remember that the tattooed women were only in the side show at the carnival

56don likes this.
  16. Can you buy magnetic suits of armor? Of all the Ritis boys, Art is the worst!

17. slammed

slammed

Another side show attraction was guess the FAT man's weight for a prize.

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You know you're getting old when...

You'd rather build a SAFE race car than a traditional looking race car that's historically correct but unsafe.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Speaking of tattoos, I decided to join the younger crowd and get one. How's it looking so far? tatoo.jpg

chainsaw likes this.
  20. j3harleys

j3harleys

You go to your son's house and there are kids there calling him grandpa

21. You know your old when your wife walks by the bathroom door while your pee-ing and comments on what a good stream you have.

56don and blowby like this.
  22. I now have a couple of those magnet wand thingys to pick things off the floor. And I can find them, always put one back on the side of my rollaway and the other on the firewall of the Ford I'm working on.

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you are killin me, man! i fell off my chair laffin at that one. looks like a customer for "tattoo nightmares."

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You know you're getting old when your hair can't make it to the top of your head so it comes out your ears and nose instead.

56don likes this.
  25. slammed

slammed

toupees_640_06.jpg

26. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

All I need to do to make my blood flow and my heart pound is attempt to balance my checkbook.
    At 61, I do realize I'm getting older but, thank God, everything still works. I'm no athlete but I think working construction keeps what's left of me fairly limber. Besides, all the guys I work with are younger than me so the old guy needs to put on a good show.

slammed likes this.
  27. jaxx

jaxx

when - your SSN only has 2 numbers in it
    when - someone walks into you garage and ask where you got the old metal signs at and they were for new cars when you got them

bobss396 likes this.