Register now to get rid of these ads!

You know you're getting old when...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Probably not a proper subject but it's really bothering me. After a 20+ year haitus from hot rods (way too long I know), I'm back. But it's not the same. What I'm noticing:

Bending down to pick up a bolt or tool results in picking up everything within arms sweep while already down there to avoid repeats.

Doing things you used to do yourself without a moments hesitation, like jerking a tranny or hood becomes "I'll wait until my neighbor gets home".

Instead of diving under the car, tools in hand, you stare down at the creeper and think "Sh*t, here I go, do I have everything I need?", and:

"Lifts are for wimps", has been replaced by "I really need a lift".

The wrenching diet of MicDonalds, Cokes and beer has been replaced by health food, Ginko Biloba and prescriptions.

Long days and nights in the shop are now a couple hours work and a nap.

When the wife gives you that Come Hither Look you think damn, if I do that I'll be too pooped to get any work done.

Instead of busting out to the garage first thing in the morning, you hang around the HAMB for an hour. :)

Anything else?

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

You learn that profanity is a force multiplier.

3. mickeyc

mickeyc

My kid brought a recliner and put it in my shop. I scoffed at the idea....but, I rather enjoy a few minutes repose to recharge my
    self and do take bit of snooze there occasionally.

4. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Works for me:D

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hell yah, I just have a nap , dream about working the garage, then the hell with it, have another nap , been there -still there ! I just hope it doesn't get any worse, hell I'm only 50 years old _WTF :eek::eek::eek::eek:

6. It used to be that no matter how much I abused myself in the shop, tomorrow would be a new day and I could start over again.

Now...not so much.

Maybe, every week is a new week! :(

7. ChefMike

ChefMike

I buy the janitor in the drum size advil take three or four before starting three or four after followed by a vitamin, acid pill and a large gin and tonic ! yep getting old sucks

8. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

...you start to talk about something, go through all the details and just when you get ready to make a point...

....what was I talking about?

9. Nope old is when you quit gettin that come hither look. :(

I still eat Micky D's but I do have a rational of pills that happen besides and I have always preferred coffee to coke, some things never change.

A lot of what you say is true and I never really took a hiatus, I am slowing way down though, I don't get much done.

Here is my take on it what I used to do al night now takes me all night to do.

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When I tell the wife I have research to do it really means I' m headed to the recliner. Works for me.

11. Fat chance ether one of those are gonna happen! :D HRP

12. I now place items higher on the shelf so I don't have to crawl on the floor to get them. It used to be the heavier things on the bottom shelf... now they go on the middle shelf. But now the shelf unit is bolted to the wall.

Bob

13. when...your balls get cold and the head of your pecker turns blue
    commence to diddle
    it bends in the middle
    Did this ever happen to you?

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

x2 :cool:

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

You know you're getting old when...

...you see a thread titled "You know you're getting old when" and you click on it to see what you can relate to rather than what the old farts are up to.

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Gospel my friend Gospel..getting older sucks, but Dying is worse !!

17. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

"Getting old ain't for sissies"

18. I was home a week or so ago and my father was working on an old truck i could hear him grumbling about this bullshit this, son of a b that. I was working on something else and walked by him a few times over an hour and a half. He was working between me and the fridge. the last few times I walked by he was in the same spot. like exactly the same spot. so I crawled under to see what he was doing.
    SLEEPING:eek:
    the things to look forward to:D

19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

you get on the creeper, car on jackstands, and you cannot turn your head to make your vision focus on what you are trying to do through either lens on your bifocals!
    You no longer want to get up at 4AM to be first through the gate at a swapmeet, too cold, too far away, the list of excuses grows with the years.
    You travel on your stomach, gotta stop for breakfast, gotta stop for lunch.
    But it beats the hell out of giving up hot rodding, no matter what infirmities old age deals you!
    And besides, age has its advantages, sometimes a young cop witnessing a banzai charge down the street with your headers open, looks at the white haired bearded 70 year old driver, shakes his head ignores the whole thing!

Reds 29 and GeezersP15 like this.
  20. ...when you see your friends on The History Channel..!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Happened to be about six years ago.

...also when your grandson and his buddies think the 1984 car you have sitting in the garage next to your hot rod is a "really cool, old skuul ride"...

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey thanks guys, I'm feeling better already, or at least not alone. One other thing: the posters of scantily clad hot rod models on my garage wall are now obscured by my back brace, knee pads and glasses of various magnification.

But I ain't giving up, no way. If it takes me a week to get done what I used to do in a day, so be it.

22. The check out lady at walmart asked if I was SI...off that duck call show...

23. Yes my friend it is called old age. In my earlier days I could work non-stop. Now a days is appears I'm always stopping. All I ask from the Lord that I leave
    this world with a tool in my hand. My .02

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  24. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Well, I'm in the same old boat with a lot of you guys, so I found a girl friend 20 years younger, she lifts, pushes, moves and knows all of her wrench sizes and the difference when I say I want a phillips screwdriver, no not that one the long one, she gets it right every time now. You can get a lot more done under a car if you have an efficient gofer!
    My kingdom for a 12 ft ceiling and a 2 post lift.

25. b-bob

b-bob

You got it right except for the come ither look.
    I thought i was the only one with this old age problem, i am 64.

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

My daily vitamin is now ALEVE.

27. RussTee

RussTee

When you are watching the scantily clad groupies that use to beg to sit in your car and hear them mutter grubby old bugger

28. I built my shop when I was forty-something and never gave a moments thought to making the ceiling high enough for a lift. Now that I am sixty-something I sure wish I'd have considered that possibility. :rolleyes:

Oh well, as far as I know it beats being dead!

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Nowadays the heaviest lifting I do is lifting myself off the floor of the garage.

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Getting old is cool, it`s like being high and going through withdrawal at the same time.

Too old for the hand to hand combat.