Register now to get rid of these ads!

You just never know what’s next when learning as you go!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 Rodluver, Jan 24, 2019.

1. 61 Rodluver

61 Rodluver

Sporty45 likes this.
  2. For the jacked up look. Saw that a lot in the 60's and 70's. Tire wear was really bad.:eek::eek::eek:

pecker head, loudbang and spikemd11 like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We're always learning as we go. I know that I know a lot more now than I did when I was kid and working on cars. I had no idea at 7 years old that you had to mix a hardener with bondo. I didn't understand why it never set on my bike. My dad let me learn on my own....And now I dance with girls...

clunker, deucemac, williebill and 2 others like this.
  4. That's what you do when you cut to many Coils out the first time around.

5. BJR

BJR

We used to use the aluminum twist in spacers that you stuck a 1/2" extension in and gave it half a turn. Some times used 6 of them in each front spring. But we were young and stupid then.:p

6. williebill

williebill

Did the screw in trick on my 65 Fairlane front end. Worked OK, until I pulled out from a stop sign, turned right, stomped it, pushed out the spacer at the speed of light, and promptly knocked a bigass dent in the top of my left front fender. It was great, I could see the damn dent all pooched out every time I looked out the windshield.

7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Never had much luck with either of these methods. Hard launch or sideways cornering and they'd be gone.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ha ! - great example of what not to do - had friend that owned a '56 Ford that had front tire wear - his Dad paid to have all new ball joints, etc installed to correct problem - then friend used the solid type spring spacers and could not get it high enough - so, he took out the shocks & added more spacers - road like a rock - suspension had no up down movement - Dad was thrilled - Ha!

loudbang likes this.
  9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I remember those!!! LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

This is another reason I fell in love with Mopars..... 3/4" socket and a ratchet, then you and adjust the ride height! Great engineering!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HSF, LAROKE, williebill and 1 other person like this.
  11. chopped

chopped

Put a piece of pipe in the suspension once, got about three houses down the street when I realized the error of my ways.

classiccarjack and williebill like this.
  12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All jacked up and nowhere to go....

williebill likes this.
  13. Some minds sure do work differently:

To me it's simply unconscionable to produce and market such a thing towards the ignorant.

But I'd sure like to have the money made off of stuff like that. :)

14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Nobody ever went broke under estimating the taste (or intellect) of the American consumer.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Just Gary and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As young teens, we knew how to lower our cars (55-58 Chevy sedans) and accepted the bumps and grinds that come with the rake. But, when it was too much of a rake or the ride was not to the “girlfriend’s” liking, then something had to be done to correct the situation. The first thing that we found on the market was those “twist wedgies” that could be popped into both sides of the springs for the even stance.

Those rubber ones were easy to install, but when going over a bump in the road or a dip intersection, they would pop out, causing an odd angle of a ride. Of course, finding them and putting them back in place was a home garage thing. Then the next big thing, (probably from J.C. Whitney or Pep Boys) were the steel adjusting clamps shown. An adjustable metal coil spacer made it relatively easy to adjust, but it just took time. We found out that they had to be evenly spaced around the coils to give the car a level stance.

The ones we experimented with were single bolts, but everything else looked similar. The single threaded bolt had a flat surface in the middle for the wrench to make the adjustments when in place. But, again, they had to be placed on both sides of the spring for an even stance and ride. These were so much better than the black rubber “twist wedgies.”

Jnaki

The main reason for this fiddling around was due to teenage pocketbooks. If we had the money, the cut coils and different shocks were the best ride with no worries. But, as low cost teenagers pocket books commanded, cheap alternatives had to be used first.

The cars in our group eventually went to the cut coils and different shocks. The 55 2 door post had the steepest California rake. The 56 2 door post had a mild lowered front. The 57 Bel Air hardtop had the most radical California rake. The front was very low and the back was slightly higher. When riding around, driveways and intersections were the low and slow versions of cruising. But, the 57 was the fastest of the bunch.
    upload_2019-2-14_4-9-37.png
    My 58 Impala experimented with those adjusters, but the standard springs and level stance ended up being the best look. Besides, when accelerating, the front end rose with the 348 power to the rear wheels and shifts. After the years of cruising, drag racing and just having fun, the front lowered itself from constant usage. It still rode quite well and when there were 4 teens inside, it was a lowered cruiser, even with new shocks.

clunker and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. In high school in the 70s. I ran wide Ansen's on my 68 Vette, with Indy tires. I had 14''wide x15'' on the rear, and 10''wide x15'' on the front.:eek: So the tires stuck out of the fenders. {ya think} I took and welded angle iron together, to lowered the factory bump stops. That way the tires couldn't hit the fenders, and still remain low. My old go kart had a better ride! Lol I have pictures but it's OT on here. We never stop learning. What doesn't kill us, makes us smarter. Fun times though.:) Ron.....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    King ford and jnaki like this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

" Unconscionable" huh , what's it like to live high on that hill in that rarified air , don't think too much of yourself , do ya' , what a bag of wind ,.........
    ROFLMAO LOL .....

King ford likes this.
  18. khead47

khead47

I once inserted a bunch of old spark plugs in the front coils of my 56 Ford ! Looked good for about a block !

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

They still use em over here in East Dallas to put those big 20+ inch "rims" on old clapped out Chevys.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I knew someone that used the wooden version. They had a softer ride while they lasted.

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Those things were first sold to clamp the springs down to lower the car. They had been around for a decade before anyone thought of raising a car ….

54EARL likes this.
  22. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

23. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Wondering if anyone was ever young and dumb enough to swap the leaf springs on their 55 Ford onto the top of the rear axle to get a badass rake.
    Can you say "instant dog walk", ""zero ride control ( becuz you couldn't figure out how to reconnect the shocks), and my personal favorite, "stand on the gas so hard you shift the axle as far back on one side as it can go, wrinkle your quarter bottom, pull the driveshaft out of the trans so the front yoke drops down, sticks into the blacktop and stands your 55 up on its nose."
    Not suggesting I ever did this, but seem to recall it happening ..... I would have been 16 at the time - IF I had done it.

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My older bro and I used those to clamp the coil springs on our high school ride to make it lower. It probably road as bad as cars that used them to jack up.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A fat kid with a '55 Chev 210 came into the boss's shop, around '64...asked about spring spacers to 'lift it up', Racer style...
    I told him, "Don't dooo it..." (even sang it to the tune...remember?)
    He returned a few evenings later, parked the Chevy in front of a closed stall with the door down. I looked, the Chevy was HIGH, but...there was 'AIR'!
    He was laughing, obviously pleased with himself, "Hey...I raised it up for less that $20!"
    Pointing to its new 'airborne' position, he said "Orchard Supply Hardware! Eight inch pipe nipples, all 1" wide...and some long bolts! Right on top of the body mounts!"
    All he left out was, "How-ya-like-me-now?"
    I could put my LEG between the body and frame...Thought I'd seen it all.
    He even 'spaced' the steering wheel 'up', but I didn't ask how. True story. Name was 'Dave'.

302GMC likes this.
  26. cf_1_bavi-vi.jpg

Every Ford in the 50's and 60's were required to have these!:eek::p:D

61cad and King ford like this.
  27. 6sally6

6sally6

Anybody ever put muffler clamps around the rear shocks when you have it up on the jack.? Let the jack down and....instant California rake. Rode like crap...til it broke the mounts
    6sally6

catdad49 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  28. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Never ever raised a car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

54EARL likes this.