Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You Find the Strangest Things in Barns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Oct 7, 2019.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41 Studebaker Commander 1.jpg 41 Studebaker commander 3.jpg 41 Studebaker Commander.jpg 51 Starlight coupe 6.jpg 51 Starlight Coupe 2.jpg 51 Starlight coupe 5.jpg 51 Starlight coupe 7.jpg Studebaker small wagon 3.jpg Studebaker small wagon.jpg Studebaker roadster.jpg Studebaker Hawk, there's a shiny one in another barn.jpg What is it 3.jpg What is it 5.jpg A couple of weeks ago, I made a trip from TN to Michigan to pick up some heavy tractor parts for the farmer who owns most of the land around me. He was busy getting crops in and needed help. Being retired and knowing the country up there, I volunteered. The guys who were doing the work on the tractor stuff were a little leery of me at first but when they realized that I had lived in their part of the country for awhile back in the late 70s - early 80s and actually knew people in the area, the became a little more talkative. The father and I were about the same age. Both of us were into motorcycles at one time and as we talked, the son listened and started getting into the conversation. I had spotted some Studebaker 289 4 barrel engines, an early Hemi, couple of 440s, a small herd of 318 poly motors and a little bit of flathead Ford stuff in their stuff so, we got to talking about cars. Next thing I'm hearing is how there is a running, driving 1919 Studebaker touring car in the uncle's garage and a lot more Studebaker and Mopar stuff in various barns on their properties. I didn't have time to go exploring but when I asked if I could come back sometime, they said "Sure, just get ready to get dirty". I made it back up there a few days ago and spent 5 hours crawling over, under, through and around piles of stuff in barn attics and basements. The 23 T touring body was in the attic of one barn and the frame was in the basement of another. The body has no dents, scratches or rust and has 3 doors. There is surface rust only on the Commander and Starlight. To say I was amazed is putting it mildly. Check out the mileage on the Starlight. 41 Studebaker Commander 1.jpg Can anyone identify the Mopar 2 door hardtop? The body is pristine and all the parts are there to put it back together.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
    slim38, Stogy, Tim and 11 others like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More stuff from the Studebaker farm.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Tim, HunterYJ and 2 others like this.
  3. partssaloon

partssaloon

And they won't sell any of it!

1953naegle likes this.
  4. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

62 Chrysler 300

stillrunners likes this.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, they are going to start selling off some of it. After I pointed out a few things to them on my first trip, the son started trying to get some of it organized and has been doing some research. The father isn't well and can't work in their tractor repair business anymore. The uncle has a bad back and knees but still does what he can in the shop. It's very painful watching him getting around. Their father started the business in 1939 and it probably won't be long before it's all gone. I was looking for 5 on 5 1/2 wheels in 15, 16 or 17 inch and the son dug out about 20 for me to check out but they were all the wrong bolt pattern.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I was just so overwhelmed by all the stuff, I forgot what the son told me.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Any pictures of the 1919 Studebaker?

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I didn't get to the uncle's place. I do know it is an open touring car.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 Chevy Biscayne was stored for over 40 years before being sold in an estate sale. Thats all original paint, chrome and stainless. IMG_0812.JPG

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

1962-Chrysler-300-2.jpg In 62 Chrysler and Dodge shared a hard top body. Chrysler badged it as the 300, Dodge used the number 880 and 880 custom. With out pictures of the grill, taillight, hard to I'd positively. The Chrylser had a waterfall style tail light lens in a light bezel, the Dodge had a round light in a heavier bezel. Either was likely a 383, 413 powered. Grills were different also. CHP used them as pursuit patrol cars for a couple years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@alanp561 ......I could be interested in that ‘54 Studebaker wagon......and a 289 Stude engine core......please PM me if you will about it. Thanks.

Ray

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Coincidentally, just last week during a trip to a nearby rural community I happened to see a Dodge 880 hardtop sitting at a residence. Fairly rare car and I had not seen one, in any body style, for several years.

Ray

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  14. It's all out there...getting it before a flipper gets it might be key for one - when someone has a lot....there will be so much in the future - it will saturate the market. My advice is to sell now for the most gain....future will be a buyers market.

Stogy likes this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I owned a '63 Chrysler with a 361.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing @alanp561...and a big thumbs up for putting this out for the membership that may be looking for such projects...Ole Studes and who knows what might show up...looks to be some organization in the mix to...good stuff...;)

alanp561 likes this.