Register now to get rid of these ads!

You ever pop a hood and scratch your head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Jun 30, 2010.

1. greensheads

greensheads

Sort of OT, but when I was a kid and My family were farming, My dad and a machinist friend of his put an 8V71 Detroit in our John Deere Tractor. My brother and I thought it was so awesome. It was a 2wd tractor, he put triples on the back and it had chrome stacks. You could hear that thing screaming from miles away...

We were at a salvage yard here in Nebraska and the owner took us to a locked garage. He opened the garage door and in it was a plain looking 4 door Ford, I think 64. he opened the hood and it had a tri power FE in it(He said it was a 427, I didnt know enough about them at the time to tell the difference), then he opened the door and showed us that it was a 4 spd. He said it was a special order car, and it had a locker rearend as well....quite the sleeper .

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's pretty much what all my friends thought when I stuffed a 413 Mopar and 727 into my '40 Chevy coupe when I was 19 yrs. old!
    At the time I knew it was crazy, but funds were limited and my neighbor rolled his big old Chrysler, so I bought the car for $150 and proceeded to tear everything out of it.
    Bolted the whole frontend metal together to make a tilt frontend, and stuffed an old Chevy truck straight axle under it. Every time I tilted the frontend open people either looked puzzled or pissed. ;)

3. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Bet it was fun to drive and play around in 1971... LOL... but you had it together and driving and that is why it was fun.... LOL...

4. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I know a farmer with a 394 olds in his F-100, neat truck!

5. Hey that's neat!

I saw a spitfire in a boneyard once with a round hole cut in the hood to clear a carb on some kind of v6 conversion. Along about the same time in the same yard there was a '70's Nova with a Ford small block of some kind under the hood. It had a rear sump pan on it and looked like someone was going to try to make it work at one time.

A good running '73 Buick 455 Stage 1 out of a Riviera GS got stuck in a '70's Chevy truck. I was after the car for years and about puked when I heard where the motor went.

I bought a '82 chevy truck at a city auction some years ago because I needed the bed and found a 301 (I think) Pontiac engine under the hood; chain on one side come along on the other, 2X6 between the oil pan and cross member <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" smilieid="5" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" alt="" src="images/smilies/tongue.gif" border="0" v:shapetype o<>:eek: that had me scratching my head. Fired it up and tried to break it driving it around the block like that a couple times just for kicks :D. </v:shapetype>
    <v:shapetype class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" smilieid="5" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" alt="" src="images/smilies/tongue.gif" border="0" v:shapetype o<></v:shapetype>
    <v:shapetype class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" smilieid="5" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" alt="" src="images/smilies/tongue.gif" border="0" v:shapetype o<>As for the Stage3 Nailhead, I’m surprised you guy's never heard of the rare factory option only available for 3 years on cars going to third world countries. They had three 4 bbl's and triple exhaust. Come on guy's get with the program. :p
    </v:shapetype>

6. Mullins

Mullins

My 1959 Chevy Apache AKA Cooters Garage has a 500 Caddy in it. It funny when people walk by and notice something different under the hood. I also found a Old drag car in a Junkyard that still has a flathead V8 ford with 2 two barrels. It was a old drag car back in the early 60's. After finishing my Henry J I traveled 4 hrs away from home to a show. Then a older gentlemen was looking at my car and talking about his old henry J race car he once had. Come to find out he only lived 30 minutes away from me. I showed him pictures of the car and it's engine. I called my buddy that owns the junkyard. It ended up being the same old drag car. I reunited Jim with his old car the following week. First time he has seen the car since 1961. Now my Henry J is named after that old henry j drag car and has his name as driver on it. Pretty crazy situation. Travel that far away and it be such a small world. Hope you all enjoy the pictures. Rob Mullins

Attached Files:

7. zzford

zzford

"Raped ape..." Now that's just sick !!!
    Sheep? Now that's a whole 'nother story! ;)

8. Like an absolutely beautiful 55 2dr hardtop with a 426 Hemi with 2x4s???

9. Mullins

Mullins

Just a couple pictures of the real Jumpin J drag car and it's original owner/driver. Jim VanLieu sitting in my Henry J

Attached Files:

10. Zerk

Zerk

This has been covered before: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189179

From another forum, an approximate horsepower rating for a raped ape: http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/309/

I do not necessarily agree with the 350 hp rating. If an ape is at around 9lbs./hp, however, it certainly would be within the "raped ape" category, depending on what's chasing it.

Sheep aren't as impressive, performance-wise. Uh, or so I've been told:eek:

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

personally, I've never cared for the "raped ape" terminology. If you've ever had someone you cared about assaulted in that manner - it quickly becomes a disgustingly brutal term. Think about your sis, your mom, your wife....then joke about it again.

dj

12. when you got it home???? I always pop the hood first thing, unless I have to open a door to get to the hood latch

13. Zerk

Zerk

Understood. I prefer "like a striped ass ape" myself. It's still in primate territory, but without the stigma.

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

Was it in or near Northeast Ohio? My uncle threw a complete Corvette running gear into my Grandpa's '60s pickup truck around 1970 or '72 because the truck motor went out, my uncle had the 'vette motor and trans in his garage, and they needed to deliver lead hammers in a couple days.

Grandpops sold the truck a few years later. It was black and it was faded and beat up.

15. carbking

carbking

So far, this thread has mostly been about head-scratching AND a smile on the face of the scratcher. Lets go the other way. I will offer two:

(1) Lots of years ago, a friend who bled Ford blue had the tow-in contract for the highway patrol. He towed a '57 Chevy Convertible that had been stripped of drivetrain. In time the insurance company paid the owner, and he was awarded the title of the remains. Totally disgusted at all of (his words) "ruined" Fords that had bowtie engines, he thirsted for revenge. Did a total restore on the Chevy's exterior, and interior; and then dropped in a Model A Ford 4-banger drive train! He used to take the car to shows.

(2) Back in the early 1970's, when I still enjoyed British autos, I got a call from someone who had a Jaguar Mark IX for sale at a ridiculously low price. I asked him if it ran, and he said yes, very well, and he would bring it over. When I popped the hood, the Jag 6 had been removed, and a Buick eight had been installed??????????? I shook my head, and walked away. After getting over the initial shock, I returned to the car, and asked him WHY? He told me the Jag engine had thrown a rod; and laughed about the fact that the owner of the junk yard where he acquired the engine and tranny was so dumb that not only did the guy trade him the Buick engine and tranny for the Jag engine and tranny even up, he also did the swap for free. I bit my tongue and simply told him I wasn't interested.

Jon.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

About a half hour ago. Somebody bought a 2007 F-450 twin turbo diesel with everything. WTF were they thinking? And you want us to work on this?

17. How about a 440 in a '55 Chevy?

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ive worked extensively with rape and abuse victims for the past 10 years and pioneer the awareness groups and self defense on my campus. I have my personal reasons, so instead of patronizing people online, I suggest you get active in your community. That's where you will do the most good.:cool:

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

A fella up the road bought a 69 cougar brand new and retired it to the back forty after some years.

Last time I talked to him he had restored the car (full rotisserie) and installed a Mercedes diesel engine in it.
    Licensed, insured and driving...

20. yup.... walked by a fairly new BMW and noticed a V8 in it. Then noticed it was a Chevy V8, then SuperCharged.... It was an LS6 with low profile rear driven roots-type blower. And it looked like it was built that way! They did do a nice job!

21. 22R/5spd in a 50' chevy truck running and driving!

22. Worst case ever in a production car:
    Citroën SM, it was the lovebaby of the cooperation between French carmanufacturer Citroën and Maserati, It had gorgeous French styling, it was their top of the line Gran Turismo of the early seventies. It had that (in)famous hydro-pneumatic Citroën suspension, their speed-differentiated power steering and every conceivable power extra including airco.
    In between all this plumbing they somehow shoehorned in a Maserati V8 with italian electrics and ignition and an early electro-mechanical injectionsystem.....
    Here's that beatiful car with the endless hood :[​IMG]
    And here is the nightmare it hides....
    [​IMG]
    :eek:

23. How about this:

I looked at a '56 Olds Thursday someone had put a small block Chevy of some sort into at some past point. Right motor mount: Piece of like 1/4" bar stock welded to the top of the frame, with big booger welds holding it to something the motor mount could attach to (maybe welded right to the part with the biscuit in it, I couldn't see that good and it was too damned hot to mess around jacking it up to crawl under or anything). I was told it needed a mount, so I push on the motor to see if I can get a sense of which side is bad - and it moves like waaay too much. Then I look at the left side. As close as I can see there's no motor mount at all. It just hangs there off the right side. No sign of weld marks or anything, either.

I'm afraid to look at what the trans mount looks like.

24. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

The diesels were olds back then,I worked with a guy that had one and put a 455 in it.Almost a bolt in swap.Ran great loads of torque.

25. angelinew

angelinew

My dad bought me a '72 duster & my sister a '71. I drove mine for 10 yrs. It had the same mileage on it when I sold it as when I bought it but only 'cause I rolled the odometer over in it...I drove that car all over the place! It had a slant 6 in it..That motor was indestructable, I know, I tried to blow it but failed. That was a great car.

26. jkherd

jkherd

:eek: That is just so wrong!!!!

27. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

A friend of mine put a Lexus v-8 drivetrain in his '34 coupe; my father-in-law had a junkyard in Penn. and says the nailheads were the best motors ever and he put them in whatever he had that needed a motor, trucks that he used for the yard and errands and in his jeep that he daily drove and esed to plow snow etc. He now has a 455 olds in the '34 OLDS that he has had for 53 years.

28. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

I once popped the hood on a 67 chevy pickup that I was working on, found a olds 455 stuck in there...

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Back in the early 60's a guy I knew had a '50 Dodge with a '51 Nash flathead in it!
    It got him to work every day, so I guess that's all a guy needed back in the day?

30. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Holy crap! Who ever designed that should be beaten soundly.