Register now to get rid of these ads!

You ever pop a hood and scratch your head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Jun 30, 2010.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Oh, my Rambler lovin' buddy's always asking me if I see any of them when I'm on my outings!

2. Flower Power!-MIKE:eek::D

[​IMG]

3. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

When i got home and really started looking at my new purchase, I found 37, yes 37, 3/8" holes drilled into the firewall for no apparent reason. Even worse someone took the time to nylon-nut and bolt every single one of them!

4. imnezrider

imnezrider

As an old worn out factory rep back in those days, I can support what you say. I only knew of one Stage 2 "kit" being installed in any dealership I called on and Stage 2 stuff was 455 only. Regarding the Stage 3 idea, you will enjoy reading about the only 2 here.

http://www.buickstreet.com/455buickstage3.html

As for looking under the hood and determining it's a 425, there is only one thing that helps identify it and that takes what I would call a trained eye.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

455's but not 401's or 425's... :p

easy if you just look at the front of the valley pan... the codes are real easy

6. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. ScottV

ScottV

It was a joke ... see the little guy with his tonuge sticking out. I do know a little about Buicks, I set and still hold both ends of the British Drag Racing Associations L/Production class with a '72 Skylark.

8. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

had a '94 Chevy Pick Up I put a 425 Olds/TH400 in... And at Good Guys Des Moines a couple years ago there was a 'Vette w/ a Cummins diesel.. pretty cool if ya ask me. Aside from that I remember seeing a John Deere 'M' tractor w/ a 4.3L Chevy V6... that was kinda cool to.. That was at a big national Deere show..

9. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

I bought a '55 Willys Jeep that had a Buick 225 V6 with an Offenhouser manifold and Qjet transplanted into it, with the rest of the drivetrain being stock except for slightly bigger brakes. It had side dump exhausts right under the doors. It wasn't fast, being that it had 5.38 gears, but it got to top speed in about 3 seconds. You could stick it into 4wd and still burn out. You had to be really careful in 4- low range or you would rip the spider gears right out of the front differential. That thing weighed less than 2000 pounds, even with 2 passengers and a roll bar.

10. Probably need a "Stage Coach" to explain it better .. :D

11. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

someone say stage 1....my 66' f100

Attached Files:

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's why I put that there... so here we go again... :p

13. In 1985 I was scounging one of the last u-pull yards in Seattle off Aurora/hwy99 that always seemed to have some odd british/euro trash stuff. Waaaay in the back was a healey sprite with a thrashed blue tarp over the nose and windscreen, I walked past it looking at other stuff, on the way back the shape of the windscreen looked short for some reason. Under the nose was a mazda rotary 12A motor turbo and manual trans installed and complete. The car had mini-lites on it, nice gauges, a fold-down/removable windscreen, etc...

I asked about the car at the office and the counter guy said the car was some nut rally drivers project that was left with them to settle a bill. I asked how much, he said I'd have to come back and talk to the boss but the outstanding bill was around $650. He said they had a full dyno sheet with 10 pulls on the motor listing 170-185hp and the chassis setup was done by a local pro.

I was living at home and my dad said something like "one more damn car and your moving out.... I didn't really dig sprites but for $650 it sounded like a lot of fun.

14. Actually every time I see this guy post about me instead of actually contributing to a thread, I have to scratch my head. It's one thing to have a problem with someone, it's something else to act like you're still 12 years old about it. Not that I care all that much if someone wants to make a fool of himself, but it makes the place look like the Ol' Skool Rodzzzzzzz forum with bullshit like that.

As for oddball combinations, I haven't run into too many. One yard I used to frequent had a wrecked Henry J in one corner with a flathead Ford V8 in it - strange only because by the time a Henry J was worn out, you had your pick of OHV V8s to put in there. There is the guy who shows a '50 or so DeSoto 3-window that has a 455 Olds and Toronado FWD setup - in the back - but I haven't seen that car in a couple years. I once lifted the hood of a '67 Firebird ragtop to see they replaced the OHC with a regular Chevy six - a bolt in so not that surprising.

Run into my share of Chevy pickup swaps, too. Looked at buying about a '78 many many years ago that I didn't realize at the time must have been a diesel with the Olds block originally, they'd replaced that with a bigger Olds gas motor. I can't remember now if it was a 403, 425 or 455. One of the pick-a-part yards got in about an '85 that looked like it had been painted and nice - it was good enough someone robbed the cab from it. Had a Pontiac motor of some sort in it, a late 400 if I remember right. I should have bought it but I passed because it had been sitting in the rain with no distributor or carb. The other good one wasn't a swap - but an '86 or so pickup that had again, been someone's "hot rod" and by the looks of it had been sitting in a pole barn, it was covered in birdshit. It had a Chevy motor in it, but it still had the Edelbrock carb, aluminum intake, M/T valve covers and headers on it. I made some good money off those parts. The counter guy was surprised I found it before they did - I guess the yard owner would have set it aside and kept the motor if they'd realized what was on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot I sold a '79 Buick 350 to a guy many years ago to put in his Jeepster to replace the Buick motor that was already in it. But I don't even know if that counts, seems like when he drove it over to show it off after, it was like a '67, and those could come factory with a Buick V8.

15. A neighbour dragged an old '60 F100 into his back yard about 6 months ago.
    Being nosey one day while he was out, I went over to check out the truck.
    Under the hood was a crappy looking Nissan diesel. Dropped the hood back down and left him to it..

16. No, they had either a 700R4 or a Chevy pattern TH400, not that going to a BOP trans is a big deal (especially since the early 700R4 was a piece of shit too). But I've heard of putting a 455 or 472 in bigger trucks before, apparently they have better power and are good for a few more MPG over a Chevy big block.

17. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

I remember being in a junkyard when they towed in a Chevy Citation. The tow truck driver popped the hood and there was a snake on the air cleaner, he grabbed a sledge hammer and started swinging. I don't know if it ran before, but it didn't after.

18. I had a girlfriend like that once, wonder what ever became of that chick?

19. 067chevy

067chevy

now thats funny as hell

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well I have to say at least he has actually built some stuff that you can see here and some great tech. In all your years I have not seen you post one car that you have built, you talk a lot of smack but have yet to contribute any real tech. I'd watch it, there are a lot that still think you are only here to sell stuff.

21. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Looks like a Ford 226. I got one under the hood of my 50 F-6. A few weird combos I have came across have been two Chevy trucks with Olds 350s, 1951 Willys truck with a Ford Y-block, old Farmall M running what looked to be a carbed GM 3.8, 1972 AMC Javelin with a Dodge 360, Ford 3.0 V-6 in a 70s era F-series, and a 1984 AMC Eagle with a 4.0 out of a 95 Jeep.

I put an AMC 258 inline six into a 65 Rambler American that had a 196. The car was the last year of the short nose type of Americans so it was a tight fit length wise. It also had a rear end off an Eagle and used a Concord transmission. It was quite the hack job, I remember welding in the motor mounts and then finding out the motor was crooked. I fixed it by pulling the transmission over about 4 inches using another car and chain. Live and learn they say.

[​IMG]

22. imnezrider

imnezrider

Yep...obviously, you have the "trained eye", but even easier than that, glance at the air cleaner.....it says 465 (torque), not 445 that's on the 401. ;)

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry but the air cleaner saying something proves nothing, I've seen 465 air cleaners on 401's. If you want to tell, read the codes. Relying on the air cleaner, if there is one, is full of fail.

24. imnezrider

imnezrider

Yep again...I used to switch before going to the drags on the weekends with my '65 Wilcat company car. Most folks know nothing about code numbers......

25. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

was this salvage called Cagle's salvage by any chance?

26. phukinartie

phukinartie

Well my Dad put a 472 caddie in a 69 International pickup 3/4 ton in the 1980's
    it caused some scratchin' pulled a camper and 20' boat nice though! And 14's in the quarter!

27. So if they put a chrome air cleaner on it, it is now a small block chevy :confused:

28. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

We once put a Buick 455 in my off-topic '70 Nova SS because I had it and it was fun... I thought that Hot Rodding was made up of making things work and putting them together because we can and because we have the parts to get them running... LOL... I bet a Nailhead would have been a blast too.... LOL...

29. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

There's a guy in our club that had a '63 Falcon with a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe engine under the lid. Used to make a lot of people scratch their noggins.