Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You can't Making Chicken salad out of Chicken Sh!t

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Yes sir, Jeff has done some amazing body work and his work exemplify's exactly what I was talking about. HRP

3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. That truck gets rave reviews
    More like bbq chicken breast

VANDENPLAS, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah, Cody Walls was the first one that came to mind. If I had a car show up to my shop like that Dodge he's been working on, and found all that "stuff" under the filler, I would still be kicking my dog. He just calmly cuts all that stuff off and welds factory back on. Amazing.

MP&C is another that blows me away. Not only the work, but the pain he goes to to teach us all the little details of how he did it. He has a true gift of sharing. I find myself under appreciating the effort. I really do appreciate the time he takes to teach me so much neat stuff!

There is so much talent on this forum... it's staggering.

Rich B., VANDENPLAS, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  4. A major talent on the hamb is Jim Sibley, he has built some amazing rides starting with what most would walk away from, keep Jim in your thoughts a prayers as he continues to recover from surgery. HRP

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Clark Bates does some remarkable work as well.

Nostrebor, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

hrp does some nice work.

7. That patch work Willy’s is a work of art
    99% of us would consider a parts car is that !

8. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I used to work with a smart old guy and when a car was so rough it wasn’t worth working on he would look it over and say “ working on that car is like falling in a hole and digging down to get out “

HOTRODPRIMER and wojojo like this.
  9. John, I am a hack and don't have enough talent to be mentioned in the same breath with these guys. HRP

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to think that as far as this old car stuff goes, I had quite a bit of knowledge. And abilities. And passion. And vision. And dedication.

Then I joined the hamb and saw magic. And it completely humbled me. And inspired me. And taught me.

There are some here who continually amaze us... project after project.
    Then there are those who may not be as ultra-skilled and prolific, but with great dedication, through trial and error... by sheer will... manage to mold a turd into something cool.

koolkemp (Steve) is a good example. He took a late 1940s Ford sedan and transformed it into a chopped custom coupe. No big shop, and not a lot of fancy tools. Just a lot of hard work. Life has hammered Steve in recent times and progress on the car stalled. But the work he did is inspiring.

Here's a link to his thread.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/466490/

Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I don't know what tripe sounds like(Maybe squish squish) buy I know it tastes like shit!:p I think it is trite.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Excuse the faux pas, I'm getting old and make grammatical errors from time to time, I should have proof read my reply before posting. HRP

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How the hell else did I get my nickname? I have always been building stuff ou of other people's cast off garbage, sometimes quite literally from the garbage dump.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha ha! I'm the worlds worst speller but when I saw tripe I had to razz ya!:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I showed my crew this thread.

The Chicken Salad
    hot rod shop
    Miracle whips

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. 6sally6

6sally6

The fellow HAMB'er thats building the 49 Ford Ranchero. Now he's doing some amazing work. The guys that can make it look like they just 'toss it together' and it fits and looks like a masterpiece. That shows just how good they are. (and this guy...can't remember his name...is that good)
    He's one of several!
    6sally6

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. That is the mark of a craftsman, they make it look so easy and it does give us the courage to try, often we./I fall flat on my face but every once in a while I actually succeed.:) HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Proof reading titles is not a bad idea either.

Often when someone says "you can't"
    What it really means is "I can't"

But the statement if taken literally is true,
    one can not pass off shit as meat to someone that knows the difference.

19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The gentleman in Brazil that is doing the 1926 Buick, powered by the Seagraves V-12 flat head, purely for sheer tenacity, fueled by rare parts, tempered with exceptional metal working skills and the ability to share with the world as the project progress's, truly impressive as to the challenge met with a smile and patience! The art of being a " blacksmith/machinist/artist/craftsman " is alive and well in Brazil!

20. Dennis D

Dennis D

Guy who built the 32 five window starting with 3/4 of a body.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Let's not forget the fellow who was doing the chopped '36 3window from New Zealand who tragically died in a car accident before finishing. Really inspiring stuff here.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Then there was the guy that built a (kind of) deuce roadster out of VW bug body panels.
    Turned out pretty cool.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remembering that in the 70's we often built our rods with the cast offs from restorers who thought they weren't perfect enough to restore. Still far nicer candidates than we often see the aforementioned guys start with now.
    Remembering that years ago even some of the then famous and now revered shops often went out to the donor yard and cut panels, wheel openings or what not out of a donor vehicle, took them back to the shop and trimmed a bit and welded them in place and leaded or bondoed it up and now almost every day we see a post or thread on here where a guy is shaping out a panel out of a piece of sheet metal off the metal rack.
    Think back to the first time you saw a photo of a rodder using an English Wheel, Planishing Hammer, bead roller or other piece of sheet metal working equipment in a shop to build a car. It wasn't actually all that long ago for some of those pieces of equipment.
    I marvel at what Flop and some of the others can do. I seem to learn something every time I read Flops posts on what he is doing too.

As the cost of complete bodies in decent shape keeps climbing I can expect that we will see more threads on building bodies out of several parts to have a complete body and we will witness new skills and talent develop.

24. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Plowboy if not mentioned and many others that have a vision and make it a reality are inspirational. Tuck is another local to me that does work constantly that makes me sharpen up when I read his post.

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Kiwi Kev has been known to turn out some incredible projects.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

This had chicken wire in it when I started does that count? 2014-09-11 12.13.49.jpg