Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods You be the judge...1932 Ford V8 Emblem...Real or Repo...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Oct 23, 2014.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I just sold this V8 emblem to a friend of mine today at a good old boy price to give to his 70 year old Brother-in-Law who owns 3 1932 Fords. He calls me back later to say his B-I-L wants his money back because he thinks it's a reproduction. Now the B-I-L hasn't actually seen the emblem yet, he says Ford never put a part number on the back...and he has three '32 Fords at home that don't have a part number on them.
    I tried to tell my friend (who is not a '32 guy) that ALL Ford '32 V8 emblems had this part number on them, and he said that his B-I-L says that the Drake catalog has these for sale and they have that part number on it, so it has to be a Drake reproduction. :confused:
    I've owned and sold a ton of these emblems in my life, and I say its real... Look at the pics...you be the judge.
    BTW...I'm giving him his money back and I'll sell it for full price on that place.

100.jpg 200.jpg 300.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  2. That's the real deal.but you already know that. HRP

3wLarry likes this.
  3. So many experts ...........

Better off it goes to someone who can appreciate the real thing!

3wLarry likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Larry, I would like first shot at it, just opened the one I bought from Drake at Hershey to prove you are correct. The Drake V8 has a smaller part number and no logo and #3, also has DRAKE in an oval on the * at about 8 o:clock..

3wLarry likes this.

5. A. I'm confident Larry is correct.
    B. Muddy water....I have one with no part numbers but is so nice I can't imagine it is original.
    Tim

3wLarry likes this.
  6. turbodickie

turbodickie

Real

3wLarry likes this.
  7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I guess it's time to show 3w Larry some love. I've got three of those that came off original headlight bars and all of them have the part number.
    Now, Larry, I'd appreciate a little consideration on next years Deuce Club dues. After all you did try collecting from me twice last year. I know Donna took away your checkbook privileges after that 3w build but surely she has gotten over the "overdrawn" notices from the bank by now..................hasn't she? lol

Frank

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Donna walked by and read that as I was reading it...laughed her ass off

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Ya try to be nice...

3wLarry likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't fit nothing I got.:confused:

3wLarry likes this.
  11. I think it's a universal rule that the biggest 'experts' are two or three people removed from you. In fact often the more they are removed, the more expert they are.

3wLarry likes this.
  12. uncle buck

uncle buck

I would say its an original and its his loss.

3wLarry likes this.
  13. Excellent question for fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

3wLarry likes this.
  14. Take it back and apologize for the error. After you have it back safely suggest that he look at page 6-20 of "The 1932 Ford Book" from the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org). If he is a serious restorer he should have the book. When he wants it back say "sorry, I sold it as a reproduction for $25 at a swap meet". I am not saying it is real but you can't tell by the part number. As an off topic comment, your photos are excellent.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    3wLarry likes this.
  15. It's the real deal

3wLarry likes this.
  16. Does filing the number off make it more "real"?

3wLarry likes this.
  17. mike bowling

mike bowling

If that's re-pop, them Chinese fellers sure have perfected their aging technique! Keep it- his loss.

3wLarry likes this.
  18. Let's just keep removing them...

Hotrodmyk and 3wLarry like this.
  19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Original, of course! Also, shine is hard to judge in a photo, but aren't the lock washer and the slightly battered nut chrome plated? That's a bit beyond vintique in itself. Nut and washer, S-13 finished...just like the Good Book says.

3wLarry likes this.
  20. seatex

seatex

It's trash. send it to me and I will dispose of it quietly.

3wLarry likes this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry: If that ain't gennie I'd eat my socks! That kind of age can't be faked.

3wLarry likes this.
  22. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I think I could pay $50 for the opportunity to own it.....however "wrong" it is.

3wLarry likes this.
  23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I'll take it.. I need one to match my real headlight bar, REALly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3wLarry likes this.
  24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I got a call from my friend this morning. He told his B-I-L about this thread, and how he thinks it's the real deal. The B-I-L wants to see it in person...I'm sure once he sees it, he'll keep it...his pride might have been hurt a little...no big deal. Just goes to show no matter how old we are, no one knows everything about 32's...well...except Bruce Lancaster. :)
    No harm, no foul. I wasn't trying to call the B-I-L out on this or rub his nose in anything. Sometimes gentle persuasion and logic is all that's needed. Thank you all for your help.

kidcampbell71 and bowie like this.
  25. seatex

seatex

What? It's NOT in the mail?:confused:Darn the luck!:rolleyes:

3wLarry likes this.
  26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like your buddy's brother in law has 3 reproductions, and no real ones. Are all his 32's fiberglass?

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I believe they are real 32's.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. seatex

seatex

One sure way to find out....................see if he knows the real steel Deuce owners secret handshake, or if he keeps the "no, it's a real Henry Ford fiberglass body, silly" pinkie out!;)

3wLarry likes this.
  29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.....except for the V8 emblems.

3wLarry likes this.
  30. After identifying hundreds of parts for people on the forums I go to, I am convinced that some people don't want to hear certain facts. I would say that I get about 20% of the folks don't believe me until I actually lead them by the hand to show them either in person or with a photo. I agree with the others here who identify the V8 emblem as the genuine Ford article.

3wLarry likes this.