Register now to get rid of these ads!

YOM Plates toast after 2011 in Texas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byron Crump, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I keep hearing rumors and getting emails that say year of make plates will no longer be allowed in Texas after 2011.

Anybody know anybody at TX DOT that can confirm or dispute this, the rank and file seem to know nothing.

One version of the rumor is they have to be changed the other says that the ones issued already will be grandfathered in but non transferable.

2. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

wtf!!! better get mine painted and registered quick!!!!

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I posted all the details a couple of weeks ago. Check my threads.

4. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Here's the short version. There are 2 ways to register an old car in TX - as a "Classic", which does not have restrictions on use, or as an "Antique", which you're only supposed to use the car for parades, shows, club meetings, or to have work done, not as a 'daily driver'.

Today, you can use YOM plates for either classification. Next year, you will only be able to use YOM plates for the more restricted "Antique" version.

Most old cars I know are registered as "Antique" anyway, mine included, which doesn't affect my YOM plates.

Register now to get rid of these ads!