Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yoke stuck in 55 chevy 3 speed?? I know I'm stupid but what the heck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caseyscustoms, Aug 10, 2011.

1. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Never ran into trouble with this before I've Proly dealt with 10 of these trannys. Any ideas on what the hell is going on, more importantly how to get it off.

Air hammer. Check
    Sledge. Check
    Slide hammer. Check

Double checked the numbers in case it was a screw on yoke or some crazy shit and it's just a standard 3 speed.

Thanks in advance

2. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Here's a pic of the pain in the ass[​IMG]

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Oxy-acet heat?

4. inline 292

inline 292

Has it got a soft plug in the yoke center you can drill a hole thru & then put that end up & fill said hole with penetrating oil? Must be rusted on the splines.

5. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

Jerk the plug out of the end of the yoke..[if there is one]. Start shooting some PB Blaster in there.

6. dirty4

dirty4

attach a long chain to the yoke and then whip the chain...I have used this to remove stuck axles before works better than a slide hammer.

7. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Ok I sprayed the hell out of it and I'm trying the chain method tomorrow, i don't want to use heat if I don't have to

8. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

Get out the torch

9. lexington

lexington

If you dont want to use the torch knock the soft plug out of the back of the yoke. Then get a small t style puller (2 jaw with pulling arms removed. put the puller through the yoke and reinstall the puller bolt agains the trans shaft. tighten the puller tight then hit yoke with hammer. If this wont move it you may have to sacrifice the yoke and seal by using the blue flame wrench

10. ironpile

ironpile

BFH will get it off.

11. BFH will bend and ruin that stuck yoke. Water in the tranny stuck it or it has a twisted slip yoke and twisted tailshaft that mechanically will not allow separation.
    Only hope, tranny stood on end with the tailshaft down and filled with something like PB Blaster or whatever.
    An airhammer will put more directional force with less damage than a hammer with a wooden handle. Always remember that in more applications than you thought the airhammer was made for.
    If time doesn't work with the airhammer and penetrating oil? The slip yoke is the first of your waterborn problems.
    2-3-1221X is the part number of the 16 spline slip yoke that is stuck. New are getting fewer and farther between. First gen Corvettes used them along with Ford too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  12. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Heat. No luck
    Air hammer. No luck
    Drilled a hole to in the center to fill full of pb blaster. No luck
    Bfh... Several times. No luck

Redneck try, pullin it off with my truck. No luck

I did take pics though lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking I'm gonna have to leave it in, try to salvage the yoke and put the u-joint in under the damn car.

13. F&J

F&J

That won't work too well. The yoke needs to slide as the rear axle moves up/down.

I'd get two people with hammers, hitting each side at the same time.

14. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

what if you tap the hole you drilled and put a zerk in it and pump it full of grease. Might have enough force to blow it off

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

this might work. you can move the earth with hydraulics. if its rusted that bad it prolly got a good seal on those splines.if not my guess would be splines twisted to hell and back. nothing to loose cept some grease.

16. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

That is the way to do it -

Be glad it didn't come loose when you were pulling on it with your truck - it would make a hell of a dent in the back of your truck/window/head . . . whichever was in the way.

If it were me - I'd put a piece of round rod through the yoke - machine a flat on the rod, drill and tap for a fine thread puller shaft and pull it off that way.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Think not, sorry to say. Theres 1 spline missing in the yoke so in does not hydralic as it moves back and forth. So that concept is out the window.

18. sdluck

sdluck

Drill the plug out,put a bearing plate around the yoke put it in a press and press it out.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Winner Winner, chicken dinner

20. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Im about to pull a 3spd bw electric od unit out of my 63. wont help ya with the yolk but it'll be for sale. Just sayin...... And like motion said, good thing it didnt come out with the truck puller! I like the idea, just not the consequences!!

21. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Using your truck as a puller is about the dumbest redneck trick I have seen in a long time. Wrong on so many levels. If that sucker had of come loose the damage to rear of your truck could have been a lot. Don't try that again! At least I got a good laugh out of it. Tell me you weren't serious.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  22. Negative on the one spline missing inside that yoke. Broach cut full 16 spline.
    The missing spline happened in most cases when the manufacturers changed to 26 on 27 splines and 31 on 32 splines with GM applications.
    Ford got very creative with long oval roller bearings like some bulldozer manufacturers did to on allowing movement of suspensions.

23. I'd saw the end of the yoke off, disassemble the trans and press the remainder of
    the yoke off. If the trans is good, you only lost the yoke and shouldn't have damaged anything else.

24. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

LOL. jesus fucking christ boys how hard do you think i was pulling ????

25. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

fuck me i didnt think of that..

you guys have gave me several new options to try tomrrow . thanks

26. have you tried tapping "in' to break it loose?

27. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

yep did that at the begining

28. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

If there is an issue with a twisted shaft you may be having an issue with it not bieng able to rotate as it comes off. I have run into this on other types of machinery, as you are putting the pressure on the yoke it is now binding against the twisted portion of the shaft inside it. The only way to remove it is you will have to cut the end off and then tear the tranny down and change the main output shaft. If it is not twisted you can continue to cut it with a thin cut off wheel the length of the shaft before you go all the way through you can take your air hammer and crack it free.please let us know what it was that was holding it on!!!!

29. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Howd ya make out on this?

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Stand it on end and soak it in vinegar. Put vinegar inside the tranny too.