Register now to get rid of these ads!

yet another safety/equipment/construction question- fuel tank

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by moparsled, Jul 18, 2009.

1. can a steel or aluminum fuel tank have brackets welded to it to mount it to the frame, like L brackets, angle iron, etc, or do the mounts have to be straps that encircle and bolt to the frame, like on a Moon style tank?

2. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

If one of your welded brackets cracks in a few months, do you re weld it? Not me. But the answer to your question, I don't know. Joe

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We're running "brackets" of a sort now.

We replaced our original straps once, going from a very strong nylon to weaker but "acceptable" steel strapping at a tech's insistance.

I didn't care for the lesser strength so we went to welded on metal "ears" that bolt directly to the frame at the bottom of the tank edges. Tech had no problem with it and it is very strong when designed well. Have had no problems with cracking as we allowed for flex in the design.

4. My question sort of answered itself this evening. The tank I originally planned to use had no mounting provisions, so I had to make them. BUT, when I started cleaning up the tank, it ended up being in TERRIBLE condition, so I went hunting for another. I like my "new" one better, and it has straps with it, so.... good to go.

and, to answer Joe Hamby- yes, if I end up with an issue with my tank I will weld/reweld it. I've welded on fuel tanks for all sorts of applications with no issue. Preparation is the key.