Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yet another oil/zinc/sky-is-falling thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

OK - I'll start off with my disclaimer:

Discussing oil with gearheads is like discussing religion & politics with normal people.

Also, I have nothing to do with this website other than reading it - it jives with most of the professional publications I've read on the subject, but covers this specific issue more thoroughly than most.

Found this posted over on Fordbarn, so don't give me any credit:

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

This may have been posted previously, if so, I apologize.

2. Brad Penn is supposed to be good stuff,
    it used to be known as Kendall.

They also make an oil specifically for break in.

GM has quit selling EOS.I cleaned out the stock
    from one local dealership.

Another option is STP Oil Treatment in the Red bottle.
    Not quite as good as EOS,and not widely available.
    The Blue bottle is much thicker,and doesn't have the same additives.

3. jc

jc
    from arkansas

Valvoline racing oil, has the extra zddp additives that flat tappet cams need to survive. This oil states on the bottle that it is not street legal, I just purchased a case for an engine that I built,so I can break it in and feel ok....this oil is 3.99 a quart at Napa, which was the only place I could find it,without buying over the net......you have to ask for the (not street legal) oil...........

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Be carefull using racing oils on the street, they are designed for hard use for short periods of time. Our fuel altered goes less than a mile before we change it! They are not designed to be used for 3000 miles at a time.

5. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

if you add 1/2 bottle cam break in additive to an oil change, it replaces most of the good things missing from today's oil. or just run rotella, delo or the like.

6. Paul2748

Paul2748

The new (1/1/07) Rotella and Delo have the reduced zinc - go with the red STP