Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yet another Chevy engine ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Nov 8, 2016.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yep, in the process of swapping engines from one car to the other, I realized I never checked into what this engine really is. My stepson never really got into his El Camino so I'm gonna pirate the engine we spiffed up and use it to replace the tired 307 in my '56.
    V0309CGC, 11D152252, block casting # 3970010, Date B26 1, head casting # 3998993

I did look it up thru my usual less-than-dependable sources but you guys seem to be able to pin them down a whole lot better. Thanks.

2. I come up with a 71 chev passenger car 350, 245 HP 2 barrel

3. squirrel

squirrel

....block cast Feb 26, 1971, engine assembled March 9th. The car was assembled at Doraville Assembly, Atlanta, Georgia.

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

That sorta jives with what I was told when we bought the car. My source shows the same casting number for a '69 302 and a 69-80 350 but that's it. I was hoping the other codes would show the difference.
    Either way this engine runs way better than the old 307. Thanks Rocky.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Jim. I'm tempted to pull the pan and look inside (again) but it's the only car I have that doesn't leak - at all. LOL. It's just been sitting for the better part of 2 years with an occasional start and warm up. I guess I'll just hit it with some soap and water and keep moving forward.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like a used engine to me
    What are your expectations?

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Saltflats, it was in the '64 El Camino that I bought for my stepson to tinker with. The PO worked as a mechanic at a Chevy dealer and was fixing it up but fell on some hard times. He rebuilt and replaced a lot of stuff but wasn't too interested in making anything pretty, if you know what I mean.
    My stepson and I brought it home and did some basic safety and reliability inspections and repairs together and decided to pull the engine to do a good clean, paint and detail under the hood. We did a compression check before removing it and found it to be sealed up pretty good. We removed the pan to clean it out - all was fine. We swapped the cast iron intake and Q-jet for an Edelbrock and an AFB, added some swap meet find Hooker headers and a Summit cam and lifters. It hauls a$$ for what it is.
    He drove it for a while, hated the mileage, no A/C and heater. I had to twist his arm to get him out to the shop - he was more interested in playing games online. I gave up. So it just sits there since I have more important projects.
    I bought a '56 210 from an old High School buddy and after some serious debugging, it has turned out to be a nice car to drive but the old 307 has some serious blowby and is quite gutless. So I decided to swap the two engines. I was just wondering what I was working on - not that it matters.
    I may take the '56 to Sacramento Raceway for the Wednesday night street legal drags just for kicks, but it has street tires and highway gears so I won't be expecting too much.