Register now to get rid of these ads!

History yesteryears fillin stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breeder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

does anyone rember old marx toy gas station, they were cool

2. CaryW

CaryW
    from E. Tx

Stopped lurking and thought I would ask about this one. I have seen it hundreds of times but never been close to it. It is a few miles outside of West Memphis on I40. Here is a qoute I found about it on the net.

Tour day seven, Friday June 8<SUP>th</SUP>, Memphis, Tennessee to Little Rock, Arkansas - 177 miles. We got up, ate, packed and checked out in anticipation of the tour of the collection. We met up with Chuck and he said he only wanted to wait until 9 AM and then leave if Jerry was not there by then. After several phone calls and the visit being off, then back on again, we left to meet up with the Jerry. We expected a modest collection and a quick visit, then back on the road. Boy were we wrong. It turned out to be the collection of the owner of a major Street Rod parts producer, among other things. He lives on a 55 acre estate not far from the interstate. He has a complete early sixties Texaco gas station transplanted to his property. It is complete in every detail, including working gas pumps delivering gas at 35.9 cents a gallon. Jerry filled up his car, total cost $2.05! I worked at a Texaco station during my college days at around the same era this gas station was in use, so I can attest to its accuracy and completeness. Totally amazing, and everything works! Next to it was a building that houses part of his neon sign collection. Again, totally amazing. Most of them work and many have been restored to new condition. We were invited in to tour his beautiful home; saw some if his cars, including two magnificently restored ’57 Chevys, as well as several equally beautiful ’39 Chevy Street Rods. More neon signs in yet another building as well as more cars.

I would love to see some pics of it.

3. I used to commute to Memphis once a week from Little Rock to teach at the dental school. I have seen this place from the highway every trip (it's right on the access road along the interstate). I have never stopped in, but have admired it. The building referred to with the sign collection has several vintage dealership signs mounted to the outside. He does indeed have a Texaco station in his back yard. There is a gate around the property and I have always seen it closed. Never knew who owned it and, unfortunately, do not have a picture of it. I'd love to get a tour one day, though!! :D

4. duste01

duste01

When I went home for Dad's funeral, I found this house in American Fork, Utah done like a sinclair station. pretty cool! I want one!

Attached Files:

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Here are some that I've taken recently: The first one is close to the NM & TX stateline on I-40; The second one is the Shamrock Conoco at night; The third one is in Wellington, Tx (Thanks to Flat-Top-Bob on the tip:)); and the last one is east of Taylor, Tx

Attached Files:

6. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Nice stuff there Rollei.

Here are a few from my trip to Central Oregon about a week ago.
    (Voigtlander Bessa-T with a Minolta 40mm CL lens)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These mostly seem to be from the 50s or 60s I would guess.

7. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Here are a couple more. One is from Coburg, Oregon, and the other one is from Eastern Oregon.
    [​IMG]
    I actually tried to buy this one to put my office in.

[​IMG]

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Very cool, the one you wanted for your office looks to be the reverse layout of the second one in your other post.

Here's one from about as far West Texas as you can get and another from NM

Attached Files:

9. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Ya, but don't tell NM that they are not in Texas! I grew up there, and man they have Texas envy!

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hows this for a palace of a gas station...Santa Monica, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In reference to the Tea Pot service station in Zillah, Wa. There are plans to move it into the town proper and use it as a visitors center.

I lived across the road from it for three years and know it well.

12. pacemaker

pacemaker

Gonzales, Texas

Attached Files:

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Here is one I happened on the other day.

Attached Files:

14. James427

James427
    BANNED

This one had been posted before by Harrison and my2nd40 in it's original state, but here are a couple of pics of it recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Great topic! I snapped this one just outside Marfa, TX on US 90:[​IMG]

And these in Valentine, TX, also on US 90:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. novadude

novadude

Car is *slightly* O/T for the HAMB, but I LOVE this picture from the late 1960s (and the car too).

[​IMG]

17. This belongs to Vernon Walker.

JH

18. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

This place is an old Chevy dealership from the 1920s. It's about a mile from my house in a neighborhood that's pretty rundown now, but back then it was sort of the automotive district here in town - there were a number of other dealerships in the same area. Most all of the other buildings are long gone.

Attached Files:

19. orbit

orbit
    from NE IL

Here's a pic of an old station that my Dad's family owned in the '40s. It's located in southeastern SD, about an hour or so north of Sioux Falls.

[​IMG]

I haven't been by there in a few years, but the station was still operating when I took the shot.

20. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

england and it measures in gallons? i thought it was sold by the litre in england? cool station!

21. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Here's a nice old building in Woodburn, Oregon. The twin fins on the canopy are a nice touch.

[​IMG]

Here's an old postcard we have showing a perfect combination - a service station and diner. The diner is now for sale if anyone is looking for a career change. :)

[​IMG]

22. Some of my favorites from the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Neat old restored station in Cool Springs, Arizona on Route 66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Hackberry General Store station in Hackberry, Arizona on Route 66

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Bedrock General Store station, established in 1886 in Bedrock, Colorado
    <a

[​IMG]
    Old repair shop and station south of Brookings, SD

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. Cool old station!! What town is it in? Must be near Brookings. I'd like to cruise by and check it out sometime. It would be neat if it is still open for business.

24. orbit

orbit
    from NE IL

It's in Bruce. You can't miss it, it's the only station in town!

25. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

26. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

I walk through one every day:)

Attached Files:

27. FalconGirlTN

FalconGirlTN

Great pics! Here are a couple I took. The first one was at an old store I found just a couple miles from here, in Bluff City, TN. The other was taken in Rogersville, TN. at the Memory Lane show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. This is a picture taken in the 50s of my wifes grand parents place, From what I understand, it was one of the first stations in the area around north Dallas,,,Texas that is. The older gentleman with the "chicks' was her granpa and the young man bent over the grill is her dad.
    Man, I'd like to have those to cars today:D

Attached Files:

29. pacemaker

pacemaker

Gonzales, Texas

Attached Files:

30. low49

low49
    from 209and408

lets see more