Register now to get rid of these ads!

History yesteryears fillin stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breeder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. I remember all that like it was yesterday. Joey says I have a steel trap for a brain. I was standing next to Uncle Jim when Ross his brother-in-law at the time talked about Dakota Digital. At a Street Rod Nationals event that Dakota Digital and Midwest Street Rods(the original name of Dakota Street Rods) they met a man who owned a big time shop named Midwest Street Rods and him and Uncle Jim talked and Uncle Jim agreed to change the name of his shop and since he helped Ross get started, Dakota Street Rods was born. I took the company name and had a small street rod shop in Montana called Dakota Street Rods. I still use the frame table we built in the back shop, I have my 49 Chevy frame on it right now in my personal shop. I am in search of Cherry Delite, the museum sold it. 15 years since he died. My oldest boys middle name is James in honor of my uncle. I have a full forearm tattoo in honor of my uncle. I have so many stories and memories living at that shop. Joey and I were getting the cops called on us so many times. But the police loved us, they would stop by and say come on kids you know better and if you do it do it quietly. I have a Street Rod Nationals sticker on my tool box when it was held in Sioux Falls, SD in the 80's.

2. NewportNic

NewportNic

3. barnfresh60

barnfresh60
    from sydney

this is just bueatiful.

4. For something different driving from Scranton back to New York in March I popped off I-81 for Route 11 at New Milford.

So passing through Great Bend I notice the damnedest thing - from the front it looks like a 40s-50s era porcelain panel gas station, the type that is usually concrete block underneath with the panels hung on it. But it's not - it's an older, wood building, or at least the left side of it is, on which they built like a false front that's only 15 feet or so deep, if that. Behind the tall front the garage stall side has a peaked roof and is several feet shorter. Wierdest gas station I've ever seen. Apparently they didn't have the money to build a full new structure, so they just added on half of one enough to look good from the main road.

You can find it on Google maps street view, actually:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.9707...=vFvhjFTb-JFTDByByCtHAQ&cbp=12,276.48,,0,2.65

5. NewportNic

NewportNic

Kulzer Junction Cabins, anyone know where this is.[​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  6. NewportNic

NewportNic

Louis Popovits proprieter, I think this is the Flint Area of Michigan.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

rsz_img_0376.jpg An old Aetna station about 1/2 mile from my house.

8. Saw this in Cassville, Missouri. 20141119_183158.jpg

9. NewportNic

NewportNic

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Unadilla, New York
    [​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  10. NewportNic

NewportNic

Princeton, Minnesota
    [​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  11. NewportNic

NewportNic

Danbury, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  12. NewportNic

NewportNic

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  13. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Here is the conoco station in Laurel Montana around 1925. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432354935.454714.jpg
    And a earlier version of same station ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432355008.940226.jpg

biggeorge and TagMan like this.
  14. Here are a couple we took last summer, along with a truck onsite sam_1484.jpg sam_1481.jpg sam_1482.jpg

biggeorge likes this.
  15. town sedan

town sedan

Have any of you seen the book "Twentysix Gasoline Stations" by Ed Ruscha? This thread reminds me of an expanded version of his book. Ed also did the book "Royal Road Test", which is one of my favorites.

AND where is Breeder?
    -Dave

16. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I've posted a boatload of vintage gas station photos among the rest of my images in the "Vintage Shots" thread in the last couple years - would you like to see them here as well?

17. That would be great! The "Vintage Shots" thread has just gotten so hard to keep up with since its so huge.

18. Cool idea, I also have given up on the vintage shots tread as it takes too long to keep it currant. JW

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The station in the backgroung in my avatar is in Ord, NE. The car club there owns the building and uses it for their club house. They have been working on it since they got the station several years ago

20. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

OK! From my Vintage Shots files:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More to come!

21. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Keep on pumping:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feeling a bit gassy yet? More to come...

biggeorge and LOST ANGEL like this.
  22. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Next tankful:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just like when you use Shell with Platformate, we're still going...

biggeorge likes this.
  23. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Service with a :)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...And that's where my tank runs dry for now. Looking forward to more of your finds!

biggeorge likes this.
  24. Thanks for the memories! Every time I look at them I keep seeing things that I've long forgotten. Like when most new tires were wrapped in paper. Keep 'em coming Chrisbcritter!

25. Folks, I posted here a couple years ago,but, no luck. I would like to have a pic of the Texaco service station that I ran in the middle '70's in Mountain Home, Ark. It was on the corner of Rt.62 and Buzzard Roost Rd. (now Buzzard Roost cutoff). It was originally run by Clark Rawlings. I called it Norm's Texaco. Claude Hogan owned the property, I think. It may have been a used car lot for a while, too. Walmart and a Bank drive thru is there now. I lost all photos after a divorce. I will pay a fair price and shipping for any photo from any year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    biggeorge likes this.
  26. This 20s garage is in a small town near me and has been well preserved, the Firestone advert wall was rediscovered during repainting. JW
    [​IMG]

brad2v and TagMan like this.
  27. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

I have the O scale version of this Conoco and I want to enlarge it to 1/24 scale.

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

29. biscaynes

biscaynes

30. biscaynes

biscaynes