Register now to get rid of these ads!

yes or no on lowering the Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fastlane1, Apr 17, 2013.

1. WWW Tires first, then lower if you still want to. Level or slight tail dragger. That Buick is too classy to have its nose down. Coil Spring Specialties...lightning fast service, reasonable prices, knowledgeable staff. http://www.coilsprings.com/default.aspx

2. The Coker Tire site says original whites in 57 were typically 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches
    jn size. Not the 4 inchers used in 40s, early 50s. Of course, you can have any
    type you like.

[​IMG]

3. you have been lead in the right direction. cutting coils with a wheel or saw is best, not a torch!!

as stated start small and keep reducing until ride and height are acceptable.

do not think "I need to drop my car three inches then go cut three inches off your springs". It will not be three inches lower it will be more than than. I usually go half a coil at a time then less to fine tune it at the end

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have so far just put technical thoughts into this deal, but here is my opinion - lower that car on a slight rake, please! The whole "tail dragger" thing only worked on pre '51 cars. By the time your car would have been mild custom fodder no self respecting west coast hot rodder or custom guy would have dropped the rear more than the front. Take a look at Rickster's thread on Larry Watsons personal photo collection and use that as your guide. Opinion time over...

6. nchopper96

nchopper96

Yep, slam it...

7. Edithsdad

Edithsdad
    from Tacoma

I don't know about the front coils as they are Nova.....your rear springs are pig tail....can't cut them. You can get shorter (lowering) springs from Eaton Detroit Spring. They don't sell anything shorter than 2" shorter. I'm sure they can help with the Nova springs as well.

8. studedudeus

studedudeus

How do you keep from getting nose bleeds in that thing? Lower it and do it soon.

9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

What he said - - - I thought I was the only one........

*Northeast also

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The 2 springs in yellow are listed for your Buick.

If you pulled your spring and measured it's height and coil diameter we could get real accurate on a drop spring. Those are Moog numbers.

2 inches and a trimmed bump stop is a pretty good compromise. A 9.5ish installed height seems to work well. Remember you nee a 1 inch shorter shock.

[​IMG]

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevrolet didn't get the memo in 61 either...
    [​IMG]

12. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Drop the front but leave the rear as it is. That empathises the rear fins and gives it the late sixtes hotrod look. Think American Grafiti '58 Impala.
    Maybe even jack the rear a little. Use adjustable air shocks so you can adjust the rear up with compressed air from a gas station forecourt.

13. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Since the rear springs are pigtailed you are going to have to make a retainer cup to hold the spring. This is what I did for the rear on my 64. I am unsure of the attachment points on a 57.
    For the front you should have no problem trimming them, they will stay in the pocket with no issues.
    Take the advice of others on here. Trim a little put em back in and see where they sit. If you don't like it pull em back out and trim em some more. my 2 cents.

[​IMG]

14. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Those are not wide whites. 3" min are wide.

15. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Cutting the stock spring 1 inch = 1.2 drop 433-462 increase in spring rate
    Cutting the stock spring 2 inch = 2.4 drop 433-494 increase in spring rate
    [​IMG]

16. flamed58

flamed58

yes lower it Dusty

17. castirondude

castirondude

I think it looks awesome the way it is, I would not lower it. Then again you're talking to a guy who will probably never lower anything.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuckin eh, s'cuse the shit outta me. I bow to thy supreme interpretation of what W I D E W H I T E W A L L really is. WTF was I thinkin...:eek:

19. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

I tried using the roof paint for the white walls. I hate it personally. Im really picky of how stuff looks and It just isnt clean enough for me. I just have the dough for white walls.

20. RatPin

RatPin

They sure as hell aint skinny whites. Look out here come the whitewall police!!