Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Yes, I say this is very Hot Rod...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Yes, I say this is very Hot Rod...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You bet! And squinting a little harder... you might even call it a custom, eh? In other words, what would a Mercury custom with a pro touring chassis look like!? Gary

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Lets see... Sinister profile, engine swapped for more GO, No hubcaps (cause we don't need no stinking hubcaps), Nice stance, Yep. Hot Rod

Tman likes this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That is ah mazing.
    I have always wanted to see a Britt do something similar to a late 50's Rover. I had one for a short time when I knew NOTHING about customs or even hot rods. It had red leather interior, Smith gauges if I remember right, spoke wheel? Hey it was 36 years ago.

Tman likes this.

5. belair

belair

It's beautiful: it is restrained, overpowered, chopped, unique, creative, the marriage of vision and craftsmanship. And it's black. It should be a hot rod. But it doesn't say hot rod to me.

firingorder1, autobilly and 504640 like this.
  6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool Car ! Agree ! That's a Hot Rod ! Diversity is what it's all about ! Sometimes on here, the true spirit of Hot Rodding get lost on cookie cutter traditional IMO, which always starts the debate on what that is, especially when the VAST majority of original "TRADITIONAL" Hot Rodder's are at the big show/race track/Cruise in the sky. Just my Opinion this AM, not looking to start any crap on "Traditional" Please respect my request. This is the best car site on the net, PERIOD ! Again IMO !

hugh m likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

needs a Hemi and some Halibrands.

Jive-Bomber and belair like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like this!

[​IMG]

9. belair

belair

^^^you expanded my mind. But just a little ;) . Awesome car(s).

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

chriseakin likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Soon the gotta have running boards or pre 49 denotes a hot Rod debate will start...:rolleyes:

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

1952 Cunningham 4rk trunk.

[​IMG]

T-roaster, Tman, chriseakin and 3 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How about this.
    [​IMG]

1953 Cunningham C3 Coupe, Body by Vignale;392/350hp Firepower Hemi, log manifold with 4×1 Zenith carbs, 5-speed, dual exhaust, Halibrand centerlock alloy wheels. This was the first Vignale-bodied C3 built after Briggs Cunningham was forced by a rules change to build a road-going product in order to qualify for Le Mans (and mollify the IRS.) Only one C3 was built in-house before an agreement was reached with Vignale, making this the production prototype. It was used for publicity before being sold to its first owner, Mercury outboard motor magnate Carl Kiekhaefer.

15. Burny

Burny

Beautiful... Most definitely a hot rod...

16. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

That is smooth and sexy. I dig man.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow even has four bolt wheels !!!:D

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This thread raises up the age old argument as to what is a Hot Rod and what is Traditional. In short, it's a nice car, but if anyone else had posted the thread, it would have be deleted.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    H380, Danekejt, gas & guns and 6 others like this.
  19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

20. Squablow

Squablow

The car has a beautiful profile, what did a stock one look like?

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

22. apenglish64

apenglish64

Yup. Like how volkswagens are explicitly mentioned as being non-hamb material but there are certainly some traditionally hot-rodded and kustomized vws out there...

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It's not a 'hot rod'. Jag XK120s aren't hot rods either.
    Some guys just like to paste that on anything 'hopped up'. I have hot rods, and I also have cars that are 'hopped up'.
    Hot rods can be 'hop ups'. But cars that are merely 'hopped up' are subject to certain year constraints.
    Hippies were easier to spot than hot rods. Everybody knew what a hippie was. Clear?
    Yeah. Clear as mud.

jcmarz likes this.
  24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Apples and Oranges. The H.A.M.B is suppose to be for traditional AMERICAN Hot Rods and Customs. So, according to you, all Imports, including Rice Burners are traditional if they have modified engines and custom paint jobs. If this thread had been posted by one us lowly minions, it would have been deleted by now. As I said before, it's a nice car but to call it a traditional hot rod adds to the confusion of what the H.A.M.B is about.

25. 34 Tudor

34 Tudor

AMEN jcmarz ! I appreciate design and beauty of all automobiles, but the HAMB is where I get my American traditional hot rod fix daily. Just sayin....

WiredSpider likes this.
  26. CME1

CME1

I agree the car is a beautiful car, but it is not a traditional H.A.M.B. 'Hot Rod'. If so classified, then the Rice Burners with the 'Bean Can' mufflers will be next to show up here on this site!

WiredSpider likes this.
  27. hasty

hasty

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stunning, indeed. Automobile as art . . . performance art.
    Jay did not say it was a traditional hotrod . . . and I agree that this might be pushing the tagline a bit to call it a hot rod . . . but I certainly can feel Jay's love of the hotrod vibe here.

Reminds me of Ray Erickson's LaJoya which became the El Torro:

-Lahoya.jpg

Granted, the Cunningham looks much closer to it, but the point here is the Vibe. Ray designed the LaJoya (came to be known as El Torro) from a '47 Mercury with his first-generation hot rod mind. Get out the torch and cut her up in the driveway and garage . . . in true hot rodding spirit.

LaHoyaCarCraft2.jpg

Oh and one more thing. Jay is the Boss' numero uno feature writer, and this is the Boss' site, so, of course, they can and will post stuff that nobody else can. Like Ryan's obsession with 356's.

29. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

No more a trad hot rod post than the one about the guys stereo

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that they are reasonably traditional even in the HAMB sense in that guys took a light and fairly readily available and attractive body and stuffed a big American V8 in it and then went out and beat the fancy boys with their fancy hand built cars. Hot rod attitude and ingenuity is what got the ball rolling.

Tman likes this.