Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Yes I had oil in it, I just put some in before it quit" he said.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Arrived with dead battery .
    Stated died on highway - no crank, no start.
    I Charged the battery, hit the starter and got the thuuuuuuug sound.
    Breaker bar on balancer confirmed no rotation.

He said ,
    " I just stopped for gas, checked the oil and added some. Got back on the highway for about 2 miles and it quit"
    I asked "any noises?
    He said "No. It was running great"

Crank is cooked, rod caps are cooked, and the top 1/2 of the bearings are welded together.
    It had to be knocking to beat the band For miles. The little Chevy fought hard before it died

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    AHotRod and C. John Stutzer like this.
  2. belair

belair

Yes, I added oil, four quarts.

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha! Seen this a number of times in trucks and tractors. Operators swear it was running fine and then suddenly quit. Was full of oil. Hmmmm, how come the oil looks brand new?

Atwater Mike and C. John Stutzer like this.
  4. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I had a former brother in law abandon my ex wife's Bug on the Grapevine. Said it was running fine then started making a little noise as they pulled off the freeway. Had to get a trailer and drive down from Fresno to get it. Had a rod sticking out of the top of the case.

Was making a little noise. Little fucker.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1927graham likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any mention of the last previous time oil was put in motor & how often? a loud stereo does wonders to cure engine noise problems.

Mark Hinds, BradinNC, shown50 and 2 others like this.
  6. sss

sss

Just replaced the cam and all other bearings in a guys ls car after it lost oil pressure. When I saw how bad they were ate up I asked the guy to tell me how far he drove it after it lost oil pressure. He said until it died. He didn't want people to see him broke down on the side of the road. I gave him what was left of the bearings and told him to buy a crank. He did and I gave him a nice lecture about how much money he wasted being worried about people seeing him broke down. Some people, lol.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Can't Fix Stupid ! Apply's to many, years ago worked for a race engine builder and he soon realized that it was necessary to go himself or have customer bring race car to his shop (preferred) or send someone trusted to check on install, cooling system, fuel, dry sump lines, prime precedure before firing of engine etc. Unbelievably stupid stuff, (could tell stories for hours) If your high dollar race engine comes w/ specific instructions , why people did not or could not follow instructions is beyond understanding, BUT as we all know, Many "experts" in all forms of motor sports.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1967--Had a neighbor who worked for Chevrolet in the parts dept. He had a 65 Chevelle SS with a 4 spd. Brought home a new L79 327 and installed it. He fired it up and it kinda ran for a bit then froze up--yep-no oil. Got another one and added oil this time--all good.

9. Adding oil on the highway is a good indication it wasn't checked before he left home.

When you start hearing a noise all the oil in the world will not prevent the inevitable. HRP

Hnstray and olscrounger like this.
  10. What gets me is they swear they didn't hear anything.
    The bearing silently beat itself to death, squished itself out the sides of the rod journal and made a wedge from itself in between the crank throw and rod journal. Shhhhh!

Two guys I know, one of them I'm related to and they were driving a third party's vehicle of which I've know for 30 years. Ask them both and they will tell you I'm the best they know, so why lie to me???? Makes the world even scarier.

Blues4U likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds like a guy I did some work for. I had a motor rebuilt for him and I did the R&R. he wanted cheap chrome valve covers on it, which then leaked all the oil out. he calls me up on the side of the freeway saying his motor is making a noise, so he starts it up and boy he wasn't kidding. toasted a bearing, the best part? he had a big mechanical oil pressure gauge, and when it showed no pressure, he thought the gauge was bad, and did not bother to check the oil.

12. From my youth... a workmate buys a gearbox from the wreckers, and had enough brains to swap it out. He got it going, and after a while, it was making funny noises. He went back to the wreckers and the first thing they asked was " what type of oil did you put in?"
    He says "oil? "

13. This one involves my parents neighbors. Father and son both. The dad was a retired math & science teacher, the son is/was a professor at a college about 2.5 hrs from my parents place. One day I'm at my parents visiting, and the neighbor (the dad) comes over to say hi. Apparently the son had been visiting and left for home "A little while ago." The dad says "I'm a little worried about Steve's car. After he left, there was a big puddle of oil in my driveway!"
    I asked, "Did you call him, tell him he might need oil?"
    Dad says "I called. Left a message."
    Me "Left a message?"
    Dad "Yeah, called his house. Didn't want to call his cell while he's driving!" So I asked "Well, how long ago did he leave?"
    Dad "I don't know. About 2 hrs ago."
    The car didn't make it home. Seems the little oil can shaped light on the dash was glowing to beat the band, but Steve wasn't "exactly sure" what it meant, because it had never lit up before. It's all started to make sense when the engine locked up.
    This guy is brilliant. He's not smart, but he IS brilliant.

14. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Denial. Isn't that some river?

BradinNC likes this.
  15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had a guy looking for a car, said it was for his mother. I asked, what happened to her Monte Carlo? He said, she called me and said the oil light was on, I told her to drive it on home and I'd check it out. He said she wasn't but 20 miles from home, I didn't think it would hurt it.

16. williebill

williebill

Dang, you guys are tough. This could happen to anybody..........

1971..... '52 Chevy pickup, ran great until it started running a little rough on a 60 mile drive home. Stopped to check it out.... dipstick dry, thought, hmmm, I should add a little oil. I swear the first quart splashed and sizzled when I put it in. Nothing on the stick... add another quart, then another... by the time I added the 4th quart, all the old coots sitting in front of the gas station had walked over to look at the hippie's truck... They were all smiling and waving when I drove away. For some reason, it actually started and ran down the road...... for another 2 miles... The nice lady at the dry cleaners told me it was OK to leave it there when I coasted in... Hitchhiked the last 25 miles home that day. Went back with my dad and a tow bar, and the truck had been stolen... Miss that truck, best part about it was the Vise Grips that replaced both door handles and window cranks. Had good tires, too, just didn't have any oil..

Fedman likes this.
  17. williebill

williebill

Now that I think about it, those old codgers at the gas station probably followed me that day, knowing I wasn't going much farther, then stole my truck.... fuckers

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  18. Lol, yeah and the sweet lady at the dry cleaners was in on it too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Hnstray and williebill like this.
  19. This pic is from your thread,
    It was exactly as this is pictured. I could have taken it - right down to the same expensive shade of purplish grey cooked the oil off the caps color and the location and shape of the extruded bearing.
    image.jpeg

20. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead

I worked for u haul repairing their trailers for them a couple decades ago and more than once did someone pull a truck in and complain about it using oil and down on power. Yep, hole in the block and rod laying somewhere along the highway. But it never made a sound, must have been that way when they picked it up. It's amazing what those diesels can go through and still run.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I stopped for gas a couple of months ago and my Cousin was giving someone he knew a boost at the other pumps. When I paid for the gas he called me over.
    Seems the car wouldn't turn over after she bought gas...figured the starter or battery was gone.
    I got the older lady to turn on the headlights and they were very bright.
    OK... give it a try. Just a big click.
    Took a look at the lady and realized she was not the least car savy...so I pulled the dip stick.
    Moisture and rust particles. Not a drop of oil showing.
    Asked her when she last checked the oil. She didn't...just gets it changed now and then.
    When was the last time it was changed then??? Just got a sheepish look back but no comment.

OK dear...time to call the tow truck and break out the Visa card!

All because its too tough to pull a dipstick or go get a regular oil change at a lube shop.
    Bet she gets her hair done though. Priorities! Oh My!

22. working in an auto parts store part time is see this often. i once put in 4 quarts of oil in a car that only holds 4 quarts. obviously there was a problem causing this , but the female owner was not very pleasant so i dumped in the oil and she was on her way. i could see oil drops coming from her car as she pulled away

23. As a kid working in a gas station back in 1981, yes the old style that actually had the attendants and service bays. was located right off the freeway offramp, so used to get a bunch of people with problems. One day a lady pulls in with a Pinto and says the oil light is flashing, so I check the dipstick. Dry as can be. End up putting 4 qts in to get it to full. Now I believe the system was 5 qts including the 1 qt in the filter, so??? Amazing thing was it did not knock when she came in, but with 4 qts new oil added she went on down the road. No idea if it ever made it the rest of the way on that trip.

Another SBC story kind of like Larry's. Bought a SBC-swapped 86 Jaguar to be the donor for my 52 GMC pickup. Seller said it had a rod knock, and it ran enough for me to get onto trailer. Once I took it apart, the #1 rod bearing was so far gone, the shells had rotated around to be sandwiched on top of each other. Could barely be recognized as bearing shells. Crank journal was surprising not that bad, but rod big end was definitely very hot. Crank would need grinding and may have req'd 0.020-.030 to clean up, but not discolored.

24. While not oil related it still is about trashing an engine. 454 Chevy modular Ambulance . Coming in with four patients and three EMT's (I was driver EMT) and threw an alternator belt. Unbeknownst to me it cut the lower radiator hose. 100 degree heat at 80 +/- mph it took twenty three miles to completely drain the cooling system. Unfortunately about five miles from destination medical facility. Fortunately none of the four were critical, only bumps and bruises from a rollover. When I realized what was happening I exclaimed loudly "Oh s***". From the back of the unit in unison came six voices exclaiming "what?" Fortunately the patients had a sense of humor.

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was in an auto parts store, a woman was at the counter buying a gallon of oil. It seems that her Mini was low on oil, like none at all. As she was finishing the sale, the counter person asked if she wanted a filter to which she replied "Why we're not changing the oil,,,,,,"

26. We had a tow in to a car dealership I worked at once. Welded bearings. Oil in the pan was not drained but scooped out. It's bad when you pull the drain plug and nothing comes out but muck.

27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shop I worked at, we called it the "bearing-wear indicator light."

Katuna, hotcoupe and Truck64 like this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That last one deserves a page in the Bible! That exact scenario occurred at my shop, countless times. Always with the lies! (like I'm somehow not gonna know the difference and 'fix' it without knowing what caused it??? Yeah, these guys swore by me. And to me.)
    We should be related. :cool:

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  29. 29moonshine

29moonshine

my daughter ran over something in the road and put a hole in the oil pan. stoped and call aaa. they sent a tow truck to get her. the driver told her it would have been ok to drive the 1/2 mile to the dealer. her response was my dad would have killed me