Register now to get rid of these ads!

yes I did an intro... :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nastyrod, Aug 4, 2005.

1. nastyrod

nastyrod

So my first rat is gona be a 40 Ford truck channled, chopped, and very simple. check it out... while your at it tell me haow to clean this sucker up cheap... I thought about acid dippin' but htey want $500 JUST to dip the cab, no doors. Plus I don't think you ever get all the residue out. media blastin is an option but what should I expect to pay... I wanted to keep it all bare metal. So that's why I want to clean er up... any suggestions for a noob would be appreciated... here's a pic... i drug it out of the woods. It was sitting in the ground about 3 inches... but I think it's very workable.

40loe

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

dipping gets EVERY thing off the steel... trust me nothing hides from that shit

oh yea, welcome to da HAMB

3. nastyrod

nastyrod

thanks! I know it does, but I ain't payin dat for it!!

4. Slide

Slide

Also, the dip ofthen includes a chemical coating that will protect the metal from further rust damage. The dip will get into places that blasting never will. Also, it is dang near impossible to get all the blasting media out of every nook and cranny. If you ever decided on shiny paint, sometimes this media will blow back out into your wet paint! If you use sand, the sand gets trapped, and moisture will find it's way to the sand, the sand holds moisture, the metal continues rusting....

Plus dipping won't warp up your panels like some types of blasting will (depending on the level of inebriation of the blast operator).

Welcome! (But this site's not about rat rods, pr se. It's about traditional rods and customs, which is different from "Ol' Skool".)

Oh, and 5 Ben Franklins don't sound that far out of line when I've seen dudes pay 1200 for dippin' a sedan body.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

6. nastyrod

nastyrod

Welcome! (But this site's not about rat rods, pr se. It's about traditional rods and customs, which is different from "Ol' Skool".)

well, ok, I'm into it as long as it dosen't have Boyd written on it somewhere...

I hope that's ok...

7. nastyrod

nastyrod

8. Meester P

Meester P

9. nastyrod

nastyrod

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That good old standby everyone uses at one time or the other: SANDPAPER!

If you got no bux, that's the only way I know...

And no, any paint stripper I've ever used will not remove rust!

R-

11. i think he misunderstood and was referring to removing whatever paint is left on it.

12. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I dont think bare metal and mississippi are gonna work out that well. Unless global warming is true and Miss. is now a desert.

Hell give it a try what do I know Gibbs is what you use on bare metal cars.

13. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

No gibbs wont remove rust. But they do have new crazy dip in the eastwood catalog with insane promises.

14. 51 pickem up

51 pickem up
    from mosheim,tn

i did my entire 51 chevy with a 25 gal. craftman 2 stage compressor and a 40 pound syphon blaster.

just takes time a patients.:D
    al sisson
    mosheim,tn.

15. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Bare metal is only good for cars that showoff great custom metal work (ie. cole's 36) Dont just take any stock car and get it to bare metal just because it "looks" cool. That is so gay. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I would go with the acid dip for that price. My fenders on my 39 are at a media blasting place here in Austin (just dropped off this morning) and its gonna run $300 for the pair of front fenders. So $500 is a good deal for Acid dipping.

16. Polock Joe

Polock Joe
    from PHX

Angle grinder and a non braided wire wheel. The braided ones seem to score it failry bad and not sure if it will warp large portions of sheetmetal. Ive only used one on frames,& motorcycle tanks and fenders but that's the cheapest way I know.

17. Squablow

Squablow

If you've got an air compressor, get yourself a little sandblaster from Sears or Harbor Freight (they're pretty cheap) and a couple bags of "black blast" glass media and go to town. I'm doing my '26 T right now, I'm going over the whole body with the district attorney (DA) sander to take off most of the old paint which hopefully will cut down on sandblasting time. I've already taken off all the outside trim and stuff that I don't want etched, then I'll blast the bitch clean and have a nice clean surface to work with. Cheap and effective

18. www.sunchasertools.com They sell a tool that is a strip it to bare metal sander. I am currently using it on my 55 and have absolutely no complants whatsoever. Looks like this

Attached Files:

19. Who did you use for the blasting?

20. I'd get the aircraft stripper (do NOT get it on you, nasty shit), and go over the cab first, get everything off that wants to come off. The big flat areas will probably be easy, it's the nooks and crannys (or as I like to call them, crooks and nannies), that will need the media blasting. Make sure you have a dryer on the air line you are using or you'll spend more time unclogging than stripping.

I don't know how much your time is worth to others, but $500 sounds like a deal.

21. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I use a place here in Houston. Well they are just south in Pearland.
    Gartner Coatings www.gartnercoatings.com
    Sam over there is awesome, they are very familiar with doing vintage tin. I was referred to them by a restorer. They charge $100 an hour. And believe me they can get alot done in an hour. I got a '49 cab, doors, two fenders, 6 caddy aircleaners, 3 axle housings, and a bunch of various automobilia crap all done in an hour. And they'll prime your crap if you want, depending on how expensive a primer you go with depends on the price.

BTW there is a beat to hell but restorable if your dedicated '51 Merc Coupe just down the street for sale from them for any bomb lovers.

22. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

A DA sander, you can do it your self, and its cheap

23. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

True Grit Paint Removal
    512 218-1445
    107 McNutt Rd. Bldg B
    Hutto, TX 78634
    www.thestripmasters.com

Talk to Carolyn Kirkland.