Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Yes I am a sentimental SOB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37slantback, Apr 24, 2020.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this age where lack of civility seems to be the rule of the day, I took a hard look at this sign my wife made me years ago.

Dick Spadaro was one of the nicest guys to do business with. When I would call him he would just talk up a storm! I have no idea how long the calls were. I had him ship me a couple fenders from New York to Washington. EBay and Amazon shippers could have taken a lesson from him. I till have the styrofoam sheets he used to line the boxes.

So my friends, be kind, do no harm. Help somebody. Donate a rusty part. We will get through these times so we can tell the whippersnappers we were there.

-Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Muttley, Hamtown Al, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lack of civility has been around a long time. Funny how countries do not lead by example unless there is something affecting them in a negative way ,such as Covid-19 .

Tri-power37 likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm my third grade grandsons guardian, he hasn't been at school since the 6th of March and he's not going back this year. Now I have Memories of 3rd grade, a teacher that was mean and kind at the same time. She was late more than a few times.
    But my grandson is missing a third of the year, we get a packet for him to work on but the school doesn't see it again. There just going to pass him on and I should be pist off but what can I do.
    For forty years I shaped metal with steel and heat now I'm teaching with tact and fitness, it simular just a deferant medium but I would still like to get out the hammer's. :)

RMR&C, Petejoe, golferforpar and 6 others like this.
  4. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Now your shaping the future.....Great job and your grandson will cherish and remember it just as you did your 3rd grade year.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dick Spadaro was a great guy, really miss him, very helpful guy, still use a box he shipped something in. Bob DSCF8049.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  7. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yup 37Kid, I didn't know what to think when I heard he was sick. But I will always remember the patience and love of the hobby that he conveyed. I had uncles like that growing up in SD.

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dick Spadaro was a neat old fella. He could tell you 472 things that are different from a '39 and a '40 front fender. That kind of knowledge cannot be replaced.

-Abone.

9. That Grandson will remember his 3rd grade year forever, it will stand out in his memory as the year that things changed and my Grandpa stepped up and taught me things no other teacher has since. I can hear it already. Good on you

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Muttley, WB69, golferforpar and 5 others like this.
  10. greener200

greener200

It is said ,When a man dies ,A library closes forever. So true with Dick .He helped me allot when I didnt know a heck of allot ! Todays 3rd graders need all the wisdom and guidance they can get .GOOD FOR YOU Don !

11. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

oldiron 440 your story hits home for me. When I was in grade 4 I got hit with the Russian flu in 77-78 and I missed almost the whole year of school.The local school board assigned me a nice old guy as a tutor that came to the house a couple of hours a day.

Mr Waterman came to the house with a toy red truck which he put up on the top of the kitchen cupboard and told me if my schoolwork reached a certain level the truck was mine. This carrot before the horse approach really motivated me. The next year when grade 5 started up again I went from being behind in school to being ahead in school. The impact of having a good teacher is quite valuable.

hfh, seb fontana, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  12. Fordors

Fordors

@oldiron 440 you have my utmost respect and admiration. You are teaching your grandson much more than book learning and as has already been said you are making memories with him that you both will carry forever.

13. tractorguy

tractorguy

Great Dick Spadaro memories.........I stumbled into him at an estate sale in Missouri some years ago......a mutual friend at the auction told me who he was. We stood next to an old barn while Dick ranted about all of the red bumps on his face......on the trip West from NY, he had apparently slept in a hotel with bed bugs !!! He and I bid against each other on some WWII bomber seat belts and small dirt midget center steering box. He bought lots of early Ford stuff.
    Fast forward a year or so later.....I was looking for an "expert" opinion on the value of two Ford V8/60 engines that I had acquired for a midget project but abandoned. I sent him a short email mentioning meeting him at that auction.....he responded that he remembered me......and wrote almost a FULL PAGE of everything I could have ever wanted to know about Ford V8/60 flatheads !!
    Rest in Peace

Hamtown Al, Hnstray and 37slantback like this.
  14. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

old iron 440: I want to add my admiration for what you are doing as guardian for your young grandson. You will be creating a bond, memories that will last both your lifetimes. I salute you, we could use more people like you.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

WB69 and 37slantback like this.
  15. I knew Dick Spadoro before he went into the early Ford / hot rod business. He was a school teacher in New York. He was very knowledgeable, and would share his knowledge with you.