Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yep...another stupid "how wide" whitewall tire thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, May 27, 2012.

1. This is more of a "what was offered in the day" question that really drills down to finding specifics on manufacturer/model/construction and whitewall width. I'm trying to figure out if a 2" or 1-3/4"-wide whitewall was offered around '60-'62 by OEM manufacturers versus the popular 2-1/4" that virtually everyone had or offers today in reproduction.

I recall seeing books published annually for use by police departments that gave tread patterns and some other manufacturer specs, but did the tire industry also publish ID/spec info for what was made (# plies of material for sidewalls/treads, dimensions, whitewall width)? I suppose trade journals might have this info, but I'm not sure the university engineering library in Lincoln NE still have any of these on the shelf or on microfilm. And, no, I haven't even tried tapping the minds of PR/tech reps at Goodyear, BF Goodrich or Firestone (yet).