Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yenko Corvairs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Oct 5, 2012.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Does any one have any info on the suspension set up of the Yenko corvairs? Done a lot of internet reading and can't find any really good info on how the suspension where changed from stock for scca racing. Interesting little cars for sure.

2. didn't know Yenko did anything with Corvairs, interesting

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The (in)famous "Yenko Stinger"

http://www.yenkostinger.com/

4. You or me either. I have not heard of Yenko doing anything at all with Corvairs.

5. Yes, they were called Stinger(s).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Hellfish

Hellfish

The Yenko Stingers were hot and did really well on the track. They're worth a lot of money these days.

If you go over to CorvairCenter.com's forum you will find a lot of info if you search, and find a few owners.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

There use to be a Yenko Corvair running in SCCA races at Donnybrooke when I raced. I remember it being a fast car.

8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

my friend tom and i drove two Stage 2 stingers to the Pittsburgh airport so Don Yenko & Donna Mae Mims would have something to drive back home after some big race. they were very quick. if i remember correctly, Stage 3 & 4 were race only.

9. fms427

fms427

Corvairs were actually Yenko's FIRST product - Camaros, et al were later than that.He was a racer as well as a dealer, and needed a GM car to race - convinced the SCCA that a Corvair with no back seat - a 2 seater - met their definition of "sports car". There were 4 stages - each progressively faster - but I believe Stage 4 was turbo and could not be raced in SCCA. They were very successful in the day , and are still popular in vintage road racing.

As to your specific question - go to the various Corvair web sites. One secret to their success was a VERY wide wheel that was homologated - coupled with a wide track gave them great cornering.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. oldolds

oldolds

Funny how everyone thinks performance cars have to be big block muscle cars. There were lots of small performance cars, Corvairs were hot in their time. Multiple carbs and forced induction right out of the box. I have no real info on Stingers, but remember they were a force to be reckoned with.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Not to change the subject too much, but there's still a debate that Yenko never built a 427 Yenko Nova. I know about Yenko Novas with LT-1 motors, I almost bought one.
    I knew about the Yenko stingers, in fact, I think they're more original than stuffing a big block in a Camaro and Chevelle. Big deal, there was also COPOs without all the fancy badging.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I have a friend that has several of them. One of them he races in Historic events. PM me and I will give his email address. I'm sure he would help you.

13. Cantstop

Cantstop

From what I remember reading Yenko had a couple of test mule/prototypes but decided it was too much/dangerous. Wether or not the test car survived as is or retrofitted I've never read but it would be very hard to prove its legitimacy.

14. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

so since something is built 1965 or prior that means its free game to post it on the hamb now? kool! i know there's a post about someones GTO here too that never got killed either,,, i learned something new today. :D

15. Don't get too warm n fuzzy over it! There are still some poo poo'ers on here that'll get a thread killed in a heartbeat. They feel like it's their civic duty or something.

16. Intellectual and industrial copyright related to the Site
    In accessing the YenkoStinger.org (Site), Users are granted a restricted license of use thereof. This license grants Users a restricted and non-exclusive entitlement of use for private purposes only with regard the Site's content. In this respect, Users are granted only the right to display the site on a single-station screen. Pursuant to laws governing the rights of literary and artistic property (copyright) or related rights, the display and/or reproduction of all or a part of Site components are strictly prohibited outside the afore-mentioned stipulations. In this respect, subject to the rights granted by the present directions and in the absence of formal, written and prior authorization from YenkoStinger.org, any reproduction, copying, change and/or exploitation together with any usage of all or a part of Site content on any medium whatsoever, for whatever reason and in whatever form, is strictly prohibited. Any request for authorization should be forwarded to the following e-mail address: [email protected]. Any unauthorized use shall constitute an infringement of copyright punishable by applicable laws. Furthermore, all the brands mentioned on the Site are trademarks and as such are protected. No use of any one of these trademarks may be made without the prior, express and written consent of YenkoStinger.org, under pain of infringement of copyright. Moreover, no hypertext link to the Site and/or the pages contained therein may be made by the User on his or her own site without the express and written agreement of YenkoStinger.org. Any request for such authorization should be forwarded to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
    November 12, 1965 Press Publication of Stinger

[​IMG]
    <hr style=" width: 100%; visibility: hidden; clear: both; "> During 1965, Don Yenko was having his share of problems. His Corvette was being outclassed by the lighter, Ford powered Shelby products. He needed Chevrolet to build a more competitive car. But after many discussions with the Corporate office, nothing was forthcoming. Don then decided, if Carol Shelby could produce his own race car, so could he!

Don chose to build his race car using the rear-engine Corvair, which had undergone a suspension upgrade in 1965. He approached the SCCA

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i was being sarchastic......

18. So was I but seeing that you brought it up are you one of the poo poo'ers?

19. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i like traditonal hot rods and customs.

if you dont know what that means then maybe you should ask yourself why you are here.

20. Well....... I suppose after that response, I need to ask.........

If that's all you're into, maybe you should ask yourself why you are HERE!

B.T.W.: Ryan did say that the H.A.M.B. cut off was 1965.

21. pitman

pitman

Yes, however this pic got by in the Cylinder Sleeving thread! :eek:

[2) The (Sears) oven is from '67--- Still works pretty good. i still have it because i can't throw anything away----, i would like to use this one for, admittedly, psychological/frugal reasons.

Hey, i'm not hurting anybody (besides myself). And yes, i need help.]

A '67 Kenmore? What's next, mullet Doo's and IROC's? ;)

22. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Wanted to build a Stinger since the day I found they existed . Such a cool car , Don was a genius . Good luck and keep us posted on build .

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. dudley32

dudley32

interesting...I've never heard of them...

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. racer67x

racer67x

if you are talking about Warren D. I think he still has a original "Stinger" in his garage,I raced circle track with his son and used to letter his cars.
    he worked at Yenko back in the glory days and his shop is still across the street from the rt19 Yenko (Sun) Chevy location.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I have difficulty believing that people who knew about Yenko and didn't know about the Stingers.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Well 'ya have to remember..........

It IS a Corvair!

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

an improvement to the corvairs suspension.........what a concept

29. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

I never knew they made a Corvair. Before this thread, I've only seen their Camaros, Nova and Chevelles.